Page 25 of 129 FirstFirst ... 152122232425262728293575125 ... LastLast

Thread: Remembering Glenn Frey

Border Desperado SilverAcidRayne's Avatar

Default Re: Remembering Glenn Frey

right? I don't know what it is. like Timothy. omg. he's too beautiful lol

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Here's an article from a teacher at NYU. At the end there's some comments by some of the students who attended the classes Glenn taught. There's also some photos that I hadn't seen before, which I'll try to post in the photo later.

http://steinhardt.nyu.edu/m/news/201...ey_Remembrance

In the fall of 2011, Glenn Frey, who I had met through our mutual friend, multiple Grammy-winning engineer Elliot Scheiner, was my guest at the Songwriters Hall of Fame Master Sessions @ NYU. What followed was a profound exploration of the art and craft of creating words and music. In those two hours, Glenn set forth many personal mantras that have entered the Steinhardt Songwriting lexicon: “Songwriting is about putting big ideas in small places.” “Don’t tell us, show us.” “Your audience’s reactions are a tremendous asset.” “Your first songs are going to suck, but they’re the only way to get to the really good ones.” And on and on.

But more wonderful moments were still to come. In the fall of 2012, Glenn and I co-taught Songwriters Forum, our program’s primary course. He would fly in from the Eagles’ tour to spend Thursday afternoons in the classroom. And when I suggested that we end the term with a few days of ten-hour intensives—each student got 45 minutes alone with each of us—he jumped at the opportunity.

In addition, he made good on a tantalizing idea that had been discussed for awhile. With the generosity of Cablevision’s Jim Dolan, a longtime supporter of NYU Steinhardt’s Department of Music and Performing Arts Professions, the cooperation of Eagles’ manager Irving Azoff, and the University know-how of Dean Robert Rowe, Glenn arranged for the Eagles to play a benefit for Steinhardt. And if that wasn’t generous enough, he not only invited the NYU Orchestra to accompany the band, he asked me if there was a way to involve some of our students. When I proposed that three songwriters form an ad hoc trio to open the show, he guided the rehearsals and personally introduced the thrilled students on the Beacon Theater stage.

In the succeeding years, while he and his band took to the road for their*History of the Eagles*tour, Glenn made it a point not only to keep tabs on the program (I would send recordings of students’ course work), but to actively brainstorm curriculum ideas. Whenever possible, he would visit the classroom and meet privately with small groups of students. In our last get-together, we discussed his desire to return to again team teach.

Glenn was as humble an artist as I’ve ever known. When I invited him to meet Felix Cavaliere and John Sebastian before their Master Session, he was like a fan greeting his heroes. And when, last spring, we reviewed “New Kid in Town” in class, he was fascinated to hear students analyze and critique his song. He would always stress that he was no different than they: another songwriter struggling to make every new song the best it could be.

Glenn was a dear and generous friend to me, my family, and to NYU Steinhardt’s MPAP. He was effusive in his appreciation of our teachers, administrators, and students. And he was proud to have exerted a positive influence on the overall program and, more important to him, on the creative paths of the young songwriters he encountered. They, in turn, have offered heartfelt tributes and gratitude to their mentor.

“The biggest takeaway from working with Glenn was his passion for the craft of songwriting, and the work required to create a great song. This attention to detail and focus on a consistent and cohesive narrative is something that really pushed me as a writer, and I owe it to Glenn and the NYU songwriting program for this awareness. I'm so grateful to Glenn for his willingness to share his time and wisdom with us.”

Peter Wise
    Class of 2014

“It was really a special treat when he came into our class a few semesters back and took the time to give detailed and personalized feedback on songs. I am also grateful for the opportunity to interact with such a high caliber musician and songwriter.”

Austin Zudeck
    Class of 2017

“I would never be the artist or the person that I am today without Glenn's teachings. It has truly been an honor to call him a mentor and I have no doubt that the teaching moments are far from over.”

AJ Smith
    Class of 2014

“During the Spring of 2015 at the Songwriters Forum, you gave us the incredible opportunity to spend one class with him; a true legend. It is an opportunity that I will always treasure.”

Francisco S. Toscano
    Class of 2016

“Glenn listened to his students with respect and great interest, and, before offering advice, he always gave the knowing smile of someone who had once been in our shoes. Death reminds us that we are only borrowing. I savor the moments I had with Glenn in the last few years. I thank him for what he did for his students, for being a loving teacher, and for changing my life
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Out on the Border

Ode to an Eagle
    By Tim Adams

Sitting here,
    In refuge,
    Listen' to Frey,
    Singing his song,
    "Lyin' Eyes,"
    Looking out the window,
    Watching the sky...
    Suddenly,
    An Eagle,
    Soars on by-
    So sad to see,
    That Both
    Are gone;
    So glad to know,
    Their souls
    Are One...

Stuck on the Border Outlawman13's Avatar

That article is wonderful and amazing!! I had no idea that he taught at schools like that!! I bet he was a loving mentor!! Makes me love Glenn even more!

And that poem is so good Tim!

You came along and changed my life Glenn!!

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

Wow, I had no idea he taught either. That article is amazing.

Out on the Border WitchyWoman92's Avatar

What an honor it must have been for those students to learn from Glenn! I wish I could have been in his class.

I knew that he taught & that the Eagles had performed that concert. It's nice to know more details about his teaching. It is just more evidence of what an extraordinary person he was & how much he gave of himself.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Thanks for posting that Kim, Once again reading about Glenn 's generousity and enthusiasm for these lovely young songwriters has me in tears. He had so much more potential, and I'm sure so much more to give in the world of music. I will never get used to the idea of him being gone.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Glennsallnighter View Post
    Thanks for posting that Kim, Once again reading about Glenn 's generousity and enthusiasm for these lovely young songwriters has me in tears. He had so much more potential, and I'm sure so much more to give in the world of music. I will never get used to the idea of him being gone.
    I was in tears as well. I still have periods of disbelief. I can watch videos of him performing now, but articles like this still bring the tears.

Stuck on the Border Outlawman13's Avatar

I'm still the same way!! I love to watch him in videos, pictures, but reading about him is another story!! I still want to think of him as being here with us rather than hearing about his "departure". I will still love this man no matter what!!

You came along and changed my life Glenn!!