Page 28 of 129 FirstFirst ... 182425262728293031323878128 ... LastLast

Thread: Remembering Glenn Frey

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: Remembering Glenn Frey

How Rolling Stone can pretty much ignore a member of America's greatest band I cannot fathom. But, they've never supported them like they should so what do we expect? And it was pretty much mutual except for Cameron Crow.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Border Desperado SilverAcidRayne's Avatar

I kind of stopped following them when they had the boston bomber on their cover. I then realized they were no longer about the music.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Count me as another one annoyed by Glenn getting passed over for the RS cover. Although I can understand why they'd perhaps argue that it was normal procedure to cover all deaths, the death of David Bowie was such a massive story as he'd just released an album (featuring the song Lazarus, whose lyrics and videos was foreshadowing his imminent passing) that I think they could have justified making an exception to the usual rule, there really haven't been many times when two such big stars have died so close to each other.

I am especially irritated that Glenn has been ignored in favour of what sounds like a rather gossipy article about Chris Martin, especially in light of Coldplay's Super Bowl performance where every review I've read said they comprehensively upstaged by Beyoncé, and I thought the photos I've seen of Martin singing and dancing on stage looked cringeworthy, like he was trying way too hard to 'fit in'. I have to admit I used to like Coldplay, but they now cheese me off to the point where I'm actually kind of embarrassed that I used to like them (thanks to the internet I do know that many fans of the earlier, more thoughtful music which I prefer are also alienated by the band's shift to music that sounds like everything else in the charts. This is getting too personal now so I digress).

Sadly though, as Mark Knopfler sang fairly recently, 'It's too late you dabblers, it's all too late'...

On the bright side, at least Glenn did get some decent features on the RS website, and I enjoyed reading the article about his acting career as I didn't really know that much about it apart from his appearance in Miami Vice.

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    Jack Mack & the Heart Attack have a fond tribute to Glenn on their home page, and talk about their experience of being discovered by him at Club Lingerie and having him produce their first album. http://www.jackmack.com/

Wow! So great! What a sweetheart our Glenn was, and how nice to get to read that story. Thanks, NMB!

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    Wonderful tribute! Thanks Dreamer!
    Agreed, B. Thanks, dreamer!

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

I guess here is as good a place as any to post this. Because for me it was all about Glenn anyway.

I had googled Glenn Frey the previous fall and had found Glennfreyonline. It was an absolute Aladins Cave of information about him which I eagerly devoured.

But this night 9 years ago when I checked out the website I found the Border as a link. I pressed it and started to read some posts. I was hooked! Once I wanted to answer a post I created an account and well the rest is history.

So today is my Borderversary but I never thought for one minute any other year how sad this one would be with my hero gone.

Thank you Soda for creating this wonderful site, for giving me opportunities that I never thought existed. And most of all for being my friend.

Thanks too to everyone else for making the Border simply the best Eagles fansite in the world
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Happy Borderversary, GAN, even under these sad circumstances. Hugs.

Yes, happy Borderversary to you, GA. You have enriched this board and our lives!

It's a shame about Rolling Stone, I agree, but Glenn never sought their approval. I'm still ticked off about it, though.

That acting tribute was cool, but the guy could have credited my site for those screenshots. Instead he credits Google! Um, that's the search engine you used, not the source! Oh well. It's not a huge deal; just a little annoying. I'm glad he wrote such a nice piece for Glenn.

Has JD Souther's statement on his official site been posted yet? I thought it was moving even in its relative brevity. He states:

Quote Originally Posted by JD Souther
    Glenn Frey was my first songwriting partner and best friend when we set out to realize our dreams of making great music in Los Angeles. Our first year together will always seem like yesterday to me. His amazing capacity for the big joke and that brilliant groove that lived inside him are with me, even now, in this loss and sorrow. I will miss him every day but then…he is always here, isn’t he? I can’t say any more than that for now. The music and the love are indestructible.

Rest Quietly Dear Little Brother
    You are greatly loved and missed
    John David Souther

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border Outlawman13's Avatar

I am also ticked off by Rolling Stone for not doing a cover story on Glenn!! Love him to bits!! And happy border anniversary to you girl!!! I feel the same way about this site!! So much info and loving every single bit of it!!

You came along and changed my life Glenn!!

Stuck on the Border

Here's David Spero talking about the Party of Two and HFO tours. He adds colour to the stories and verges on being indiscreet. I hope he writes that book.

http://qfm96.com/mornings/former-joe...r-david-spero/