Page 29 of 129 FirstFirst ... 192526272829303132333979 ... LastLast

Thread: Remembering Glenn Frey

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Remembering Glenn Frey

I expect the Grammy show will get its own thread, but the announcement belongs in this thread, too. As a tribute, it seems almost perfect.
    Eagles' Glenn Frey to be saluted by bandmates at Grammy Awards
    Randy LewisContact Reporter

Eagles founding singer, songwriter and guitarist Glenn Frey will be saluted during Monday’s 58th Grammy Awards ceremony by his bandmates as well as close friend and songwriting collaborator Jackson Browne.
    Don Henley, Joe Walsh, Timothy B. Schmit and Bernie Leadon will join Browne to sing the Eagles’ first national hit, “Take It Easy,” the anthem of Southern California country rock that put the band on the map in 1972. The song was written by Browne and Frey, who died Jan. 17 at age 67 of rheumatoid arthritis, acute ulcerative colitis and pneumonia.

“We wanted something simple and elegant, and in discussing it with the family, we wanted an uptempo moment,” the Eagles' longtime manager, Irving Azoff, told The Times on Monday, noting the spate of deaths of high-profile musicians in recent weeks.

“We knew they were going to do something to honor Glenn, as they well should,” Azoff said, “and our band decided they’d like to participate in it rather than watch someone else do it.”
    Grammy telecast executive producer Ken Ehrlich said, “Even in our desire to honor the legacy of this band, Glenn’s passing -- coming so close to the night of the show -- presented certain challenges. What is really gratifying is what the surviving members of the Eagles felt about the importance of honoring Glenn’s legacy by coming and appearing on the show.”
    Although Leadon left the Eagles in 1975, at which time guitarist Walsh joined the group, he had reconnected with the band during its long-running History of the Eagles tour and had played “Take It Easy” with them in recent years.

Browne also recorded his own version of the song, which he credited Frey with helping him finish. Browne's version appeared on his 1973 album "For Everyman."
    As Henley put it in the liner notes for “The Very Best of the Eagles” compilation in 2003, Frey “had a knack for remembering and choosing good songs. Jackson had shelved ‘Take It Easy’ because he couldn’t complete it, but it was Glenn who remembered the song from some time earlier.”

Frey explained that Browne's example had inspired him to apply a new level of commitment to his songwriting, which led to their work together on “Take It Easy.”
    As Frey and Henley worked to start a band while sharing an apartment in L.A.'s Echo Park neighborhood in the early ‘70s, Frey said he often heard Browne, who lived in the apartment below, working relentlessly on his own songs.
    “I had never really witnessed that sort of focus -- someone being that fastidious -- and it gave me a different idea about how to write songs; that maybe it wasn’t all just going to be a flood of inspiration,” Frey remembered. “That’s when I first heard 'Take It Easy.' "
    Browne told Frey he’d gotten stuck at a certain point and sang the unfinished verse to Frey, who came up with the signature line, “It’s a girl, my lord, in a flatbed Ford, slowin’ down to take a look at me.”

“Jackson was so thrilled,” Frey recalled. “He said, ‘OK, we co-wrote this.’ But it’s certainly more of him.”
    Said Ehrlich, “The choice was pretty unanimous. On our end, we would have been open to a number of choices. This one is befitting of Glenn’s contribution to the band on a vocal and on a songwriting level. I think it’s a great choice.”
    "Take It Easy" was the first in a long string of hits for the Eagles that catapulted the band to international acclaim in the 1970s and '80s. As the Beach Boys had done a decade earlier, the Eagles created a body of work that came to help define the Southern California lifestyle to millions of listeners worldwide.
    The group’s 1976 album “Eagles/Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975” has jockeyed with Michael Jackson’s “Thriller” over the years as the bestselling album of all time, according to the Recording Industry Assn.’s tallies, with sales approaching 30 million copies in the U.S. alone.
    http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...209-story.html

I can't wait for this. This will be the first time the guys are together since Glenn's death and Don's first appearance since then too since we already seen Joe and Timothy out and about since Glenn's death. I wonder if Don will play the drums or be up front with Timothy, Joe, Bernie and Jackson since he's always playing drums on Take It Easy.

I wasn't even going to watch the Grammys, but it looks like I'm gonna have to and watch the whole thing since I don't know when the guys will be on and I want to see David Bowie's tribute too.

I have a feeling the guys will probably still do the Kennedy Center Honors.

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

I'm so happy seeing this!!! Like I posted earlier I was starting to get annoyed why they weren't announcing it but now makes sense why they were waiting. It's going to be so much better than I was hoping and I know I'm going to be in tears.

I'm so happy that they're doing the tribute and I'm happy that the family had input into the decision and that it will be an up-tempo moment in honor of Glenn who was such an up-tempo guy. I know that our guys will honor him in a way not possible with anyone else. My heart is full, just at the idea of this.

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Linda Ronstadt spoke to Anderson Cooper on CNN the night Glenn passed away. I saw a link to this article where she remembers Glenn while looking at the article about the Grammys:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...120-story.html

January 19, 2016
    Randy Lewis, Contact Reporter
    Los Angeles Times

Linda Ronstadt, whose backing band was the hub for the Eagles, remembers Glenn Frey

Glenn Frey and Linda Ronstadt performing in 1976.
    (Richard E. Aaron / Redferns)

No one ever suggested that the Eagles invented country-rock music. The seeds for that hybrid had been planted and nurtured in the mid-1960s by the likes of the Byrds, Buffalo Springfield, the Flying Burrito Brothers, Linda Ronstadt and the Monkees' Michael Nesmith well before Glenn Frey came together with Don Henley, Bernie Leadon and Randy Meisner in the early '70s.

What the Eagles did was take their distinctive version of this Los Angeles-bred genre to international acclaim thanks to a combination of relentlessly catchy songs, an astute business plan and fortuitous timing.

Much of the credit for the band's recipe for success has been attributed to Frey, the singer and guitarist who died Monday at 67 from a combination of rheumatoid arthritis, acute ulcerative colitis and pneumonia.

"We originally hired Glenn to replace Bernie Leadon, because he left my band to be in the Flying Burrito Brothers," Ronstadt told The Times on Monday, remembering what prompted her to draft Frey to be part of her backing band in the early 1970s.

At the time, Frey was just one of hundreds of aspiring musicians hanging around Hollywood searching for an outlet for his music. He'd come to L.A. from Detroit, and one of his early connections was with singer and songwriter J.D. Souther, another Detroit native who'd grown up in Amarillo, Texas, before venturing west. They formed a band called Longbranch Pennywhistle, which played McCabe's Guitar Shop in Santa Monica and the Troubadour in West Hollywood, among other local clubs that constituted a cauldron for the brewing L.A. music scene.

Ronstadt and Souther had dated, so she encountered Frey when he was still in Longbranch Pennywhistle. Ronstadt's manager, John Boylan, invited Henley to join Ronstadt's band after he'd relocated from Texas. "They were all great musicians," Ronstadt said, "but what I was most interested in creating was a harmony band, and they were a great harmony band."

What struck Boylan first about Frey, he recalled, was his "boundless energy for what he was doing. ... He was just a whirlwind. You could tell he had his heart set on what he was doing, and whatever it took, he was going do it.
    "The other thing that impressed me was the scope of his musical knowledge," Boylan said. "He knew tons of different musical genres. He was a way better musician than a lot of people have given him credit for."
    "Glenn was always smarter, and better prepared, than you thought he would be," she said. "It was like going into a card game with him. We used to play poker, and you'd go into a game thinking you were going to take his money, but he always ended up winning.

"When we played a grad night gig at Disneyland in 1971, we had to do four shows a night," she recalled. "You'd play a 20-minute set, then be off for three or four hours, then play another 20 minutes — there was a lot of time to kill between sets.

"At one point we got into a poker game with Smokey Robinson, who also was booked there," she said. "I had a huge crush on Smokey at that time, and we were playing poker, and Glenn kept winning. I told him, 'Quit winning!' That's the kind of poker player I was."

His skills translated into the business world as well, said the Eagles' longtime manager, Irving Azoff, the superstar talent manager considered by many to be among the most powerful people in the entertainment industry.

"He was always telling people, 'When you're in the music business, you've got to have your music right, and you've got to have your business right,' " Azoff said on Monday. "Glenn taught me as much about business as he taught me about music. … He wasn't just an incredible writer, singer and musician, he also had incredibly good business instincts."

That played out in Frey becoming what he often described as the band's "quarterback," usually making decisions about what songs they should play, in what order, and what they would rehearse. Sometimes that led to tension with the other band members. In an interview with The Times last year, Henley said he would have liked to have included more of the group's recent songs on its "History of the Eagles" tour in 2013 and 2014. "But that's not my decision," he said.

Azoff indicated that, with Frey, it wasn't so much a matter of exerting control but of having the acumen to keep the multiple plates spinning that are crucial to an organization as big as the Eagles.

"They had a really good creative give and take — it was not a dictatorship," Azoff said. "Don had his way of wanting to do certain things, and they worked all that out together."

Ronstadt said she knew from the start that the Eagles were destined for great things. "The first time they started working out their harmonies, they needed a place to rehearse. J.D. and I had a house we were sharing, and we said, 'You can use our living room.' It was a small place, and there wasn't really room for six people, so J.D. and I went to the movies.
    "When we came back, they had worked up 'Witchy Woman' in that room. They tuned their voices to each other in that room," she said. "It was the best I ever heard that song sung. It was just amazing — I knew then they were going to have hits. There was no doubt in my mind."

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

I love hearing the old tidbits about Glenn from the people who knew him. They really show his true character and personality better than any media person can. The poker bits are very cool. I would've love to have been a fly on the wall in Linds and JD's living room on that date!
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I'm glad so many that knew Glenn personally are telling their thoughts about him. It's so refreshing to hear what a great guy he really was! We, here, didn't really know the man like these people.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

It takes me back to a quote from Linda in 1975 (Rolling Stone, Ben Torres Fong):
    I knew he was going to be a star the minute I met him, he was such a hot shot. I loved him.
    Last edited by UndertheWire; 02-10-2016 at 07:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    Here's David Spero talking about the Party of Two and HFO tours. He adds colour to the stories and verges on being indiscreet. I hope he writes that book.

http://qfm96.com/mornings/former-joe...r-david-spero/
    ..great interview..thanks for sharing..

Loving all these quotes as well. Thanks!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten