Page 34 of 129 FirstFirst ... 243031323334353637384484 ... LastLast

Thread: Remembering Glenn Frey

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Default Re: Remembering Glenn Frey

I know "swag" meaning your style or appearance. (Your swagger). Ie: I've got my swag on. Soulja Boy's song Pretty Boy Swag made that word become extremely popular during my 8th grade year in school. For my generation, it's taken on a different meaning.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Stuck on the Border

In the comics I read in the 60s and 70s, "swag" was what a burgular carried in his bag (see the picture I posted above). I can how the word came to be the freebies you would get given at a trade show.

I've also come across an australian "swag" - in that case a kind of groundsheet and sleeping bag used for sleeping out without a tent.
    Last edited by UndertheWire; 02-12-2016 at 05:22 PM.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I've never really heard the word used here. It was odd for me to think that Glenn used it so freely!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

You know, I had no idea "swag" was currently a slang term basically meaning "cool." I always associated it with getting free stuff from events. ("The industry party had some great swag bags - I got the latest iPhone!" etc.) That's how Glenn meant it, jokingly.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I always used swag as a term for merch at events/concerts and whatnot, but yeah, it's gotten pretty popular among us younger folk as meaning "cool" or carrying yourself with an air of coolness. Not as much today, but a couple years ago it got really big.

I came home from college today for the first time since Christmas break to spend the weekend with my family and celebrate my birthday which was a few days ago. My sister and I went to dinner with my mom, and we got to talking about the Eagles and Glenn. It was the first time I'd talked to my mom about it in person, since Glenn passed the day I got back to school from break. We reminisced about the shows we've been to and generally talked about our disbelief that Glenn's really gone. It's hard to believe it's almost been a month now, but chatting about Glenn really put a smile on my face.
    ~ Tori
    https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/downloads/images/henley24.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Tori View Post
    I always used swag as a term for merch at events/concerts and whatnot, but yeah, it's gotten pretty popular among us younger folk as meaning "cool" or carrying yourself with an air of coolness. Not as much today, but a couple years ago it got really big.

I came home from college today for the first time since Christmas break to spend the weekend with my family and celebrate my birthday which was a few days ago. My sister and I went to dinner with my mom, and we got to talking about the Eagles and Glenn. It was the first time I'd talked to my mom about it in person, since Glenn passed the day I got back to school from break. We reminisced about the shows we've been to and generally talked about our disbelief that Glenn's really gone. It's hard to believe it's almost been a month now, but chatting about Glenn really put a smile on my face.
    Happy belated birthday, Tori.
    I'm glad you had that chat time about Glenn and his passing with your mom.
    It truly is so hard to believe that he's really gone.

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

Stuck on the Border Outlawman13's Avatar

Happy late birthday Tori!! It is hard to imagine that Glenn is gone, but so glad that you and your mom reminisced about all of the good times like that! Glenn always puts a smile on my face as well! I still can't believe about his passing!

You came along and changed my life Glenn!!

Border Desperado SilverAcidRayne's Avatar

Happy Belated Maam...

I swear this man has made me bipolar. I cant read anything about him without tearing up. I know I will have to watch them. but I cant help but wonder if Randy and Felder is gonna at least be there if not performing.

..thanks for the defination...I'd never heard the term before..

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

I knew about the two meanings for swag even though I'm somewhat younger, but I think it's from me watching Entertainment Tonight in the 90s/early 2000s and their coverage of the Oscars and Emmys and how all the actors and presenters got free swag. I know we usually just call it free merch now (short for merchandise).