Page 4 of 129 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Remembering Glenn Frey

Border Rebel

Default Re: Remembering Glenn Frey

Very nice, AG!

Soda, I'm sorry you're hurting so much. Sending cyber hugs your way (and to all the Borderers and fans who are hurting)!

I liked Joe's small, silent tribute. It says so much. I look forward to hearing what he has say when he's ready. I bet it will be interesting!

I imagine that TBS must feel like Joe. There really are no words.

I also liked Bernie's tribute. Very well said.

I thought Don F's was a little over the top, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt under the circumstances.

I'm not surprised that Don H's tribute was eloquent and heartfelt. Glenn has been such a huge part of his life for all these years, I can't even imagine the loss that he feels right now.

Stuck on the Border

Joe Vitale:
    “Glenn is such an icon,” Vitale said. “He was one of the founding members and an amazing ideas guy. Anytime we were recording or rehearsing or doing gigs or putting set lists together, if we were stumbling, we’d always go, ‘Ask Glenn,’ because he always had the answer. He was really smart. He was smart in life and a smart showman.”
    (See more via the link http://www.cantonrep.com/article/201...MENT/160129916 )

I have a fond and humorous memory of Glenn I'd like to share. It happened during a show in Indianapolis back in March of 2009. If you would like to read my entire review, it's right here.

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/...ead.php?t=1557

This was the second of 5 Eagles shows I was lucky enough to attend, and these were the best seats Hubby and I had of all 5 shows - 2nd row center, right in front of Glenn. Soda was there, too, sitting a few seats down from us in front of Joe.

Before the show started, a man with a laminated Eagles badge around his neck came strolling past the front row explaining the Eagles sitting/standing policy. He said that we should stay seated during the slower songs so that we wouldn't block the rest of the crowd's view, but on the faster songs we should look behind us and if most of the crowd was on their feet, then we could stand, too. There has been much discussion about this policy here since then.

Anyway, the show started and although 'the policy' made it confusing at times, the Eagles were putting on a great show. Arriving after the show started was a couple who sat right in front of us, and they seemed to be joining another couple who were already seated front and center. At her first opportunity, the woman who had arrived late and her friend stood up and started dancing. "Uh-oh", I thought to myself, "She wasn't here to hear 'the policy' ".

Sure enough, here came 'the policy' man right up to them, his hands in a praying position, pleading with them to sit down. Remember, the one woman hadn't heard the instructions before the show and although both women tentatively sat down, you could tell the one woman was flabbergasted. No sooner had the 'policy man' left, the two women stood up again and began to dance and move to the music. And here he came again, pleading and motioning for them to please sit down.

That was enough for the woman who had arrived late. She abruptly left, leaving the other three in her party looking after her. Heck, I was missing part of the show because of the drama ensuing right in front of me! The rest of the first half was without incident (except for not knowing when it was okay to stand), and the Eagles were putting on a great show, although I did take note that Glenn kept his eyes closed a lot, whether he was singing, talking, or just playing. I kept thinking, "Glenn! Open your eyes, man! Look at all of these people here who love you!"

When the second half of the show started the woman returned to her front row center seat, still angry as ever and quite a bit drunker. She stayed seated, glaring up at the stage and suddenly, her two hands raised high in the air, she gave the band a double flip-off, and just held it there. Glenn, finally noticing this angry woman right in front of him, looked at her and gave her one of these looks , as if saying, "What did we do???!!!" He had no idea why she was angry. It was a comical sight, to say the least.

This is the memory I have of Glenn, and I'm so glad it's a funny one.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Here is what Henry Diltz said about Glenn. (It's on his Facebook page if anyone wants to know)

Glenn Frey was one of the good guys. He was whip-smart and funny as all get-out. I spent time with him in the desert, backstage and in planes, boats & automobiles. Capt'n Longneck they called him for awhile and he influenced our beer drinking habits.
    There's a reason some people's talent rises to the top of the heap. It's because their energy was able to reflect on life around them and represent it in a unique and joyful way. That was Glenn's ability and he shared it with us. He's gone home now and left us with his songs & our memories. Take it Easy, he taught us. There are so many cool people on the other side that it'll be a pleasure to get there.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Stuck on the Border

In the comments on Henry Diltz's Facebook page, someone has posted their own story of Capt'n Longneck.

The first time I saw Glenn Frey "in the flesh" was at my first Eagles concert in Sacramento in November 2005. I was sitting in the fourth row with Perfect Little Sister (or eaglesaddict as she was known at the time). I thought the Eagles were about to retire. Glenn had spoken of "ending it in California." Little did I know I had ten years of adventures ahead of me, most of them starring Glenn Frey.

He didn't know me from Adam at that point. He didn't know that I had been working on a fansite for him for months which had just opened on his birthday a few weeks prior, or the amount of time I had devoted to him. I was just another fan. And just like every other fan there that night, I got a fantastic show.

One thing I remember about that show is how he took care of business for Timothy when some jerk started being disruptive during "Love Will Keep Us Alive." The guy had stood and was making a lot of noise, obviously drunk. Glenn gave that guy the kind of look that could scorch you down to a pile of smoking shoes. That guy shut up and sat down.

As we left, Dreamer suggested to me that we go see him play Pebble Beach in a couple month's time. She wasn't able to come that year after all, but PLS and I went and oh my gosh, he was so sweet to us. There's a whole thread dedicated to that, a thread that's almost ten years old now, but it changed my life. It was just the beginning.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Glenn gave that guy the kind of look that could scorch you down to a pile of smoking shoes. That guy shut up and sat down.
    Good description of the look. Lol

The Pebble Beach threads are hilarious to read. What an adventure you all had!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Soda, I went back and read the Pebble Beach threads the other day and could not stop smiling. That must have been the coolest experience ever, and Glenn seemed so sweet. So jealous!

"Put together a screwdriver for your uncle Glenn"... love it.
    ~ Tori
    https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/downloads/images/henley24.jpg

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

James Dolan talks about Glenn in this People Magazine article:
    http://www.people.com/article/james-...ers-glenn-frey

I've gotta agree. Those Pebble Beach threads are great! They show that Glenn did care about his fans and was appreciative of them.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Thanks for the link. I'm going to go ahead and C&P what he said here, because I'm afraid in a year's time or whatever, all these links will be gone.

Dolan said:
    "He was the leader of the Eagles, and he had a standard and a work ethic that he imparted – and he had willing participants in the rest of the band – but he was not satisfied until it reached a very, very high level," Dolan told PEOPLE after performing. "He was insatiable in his appetite in the pursuit of reaching that sound and you could hear it in every show they did."

Dolan is honoring his late friend by displaying that same level of determination. "I talk to our guys and say, 'We cannot practice enough, we can get better at this, you think it's good now but we can get better.' That really is Glenn and his epitaph."

Dolan was lucky enough to open for the band many times, but nothing can compare to the first time he took the stage with the Eagles.

"The first time? Scary as hell, there was nobody there," he recalls. "I just remember being scared, thinking, 'Can I really do this?' When we did the sound check, I was like, 'We're way too high and there are way too many seats out there,'" Dolan laughed. "But you know, we went out and did it."

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten