Page 50 of 129 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460100 ... LastLast

Thread: Remembering Glenn Frey

Out on the Border

Default Re: Remembering Glenn Frey

I wonder if you call Wilhelm Portland Memorial Funeral Home in Portland would they confirm that Glenn is there. I think that would be public record.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Jerseyboy View Post
    I wonder if you call Wilhelm Portland Memorial Funeral Home in Portland would they confirm that Glenn is there. I think that would be public record.
    As has been stated we think it is far more likely that the cemetery in LA, which as I recall was the Queen of Heaven Cemetery in Rowland Heights, is far more likely to be the burial place than somewhere in a city Glenn had absolutely no connection with.

http://catholiccemeteriesla.org/loca...aven-cemetery/

This is the information about the person who allegedly found the information about Portland. I find it extremely dubious that if it is true the date of death was used instead of the date of burial.

I was dogged in my search for your final resting place and finally found it yesterday. I sent it on to Findagrave and they added it to your page. You will be missed so much, Glenn. But we all will always have your special music. Please do Rest in peace.
    - Ragtime Joe
    Added: Feb. 24, 2016

Out on the Border

I sent Ragtime Joe an email asking how he found the info on Glenn. I will let you know what he says once he gets back to me.

Out on the Border

And here is his reply:

"Steve.Thank you for the email. For the life of me, I cannot recall how I found the info on Glenn--just going around the net grabbing information, I guess and putting 2 plus 2 together.

And I also cannot understand why he is buried in Portland. I had to guess that it was a family decision.

I'd have guessed LA, too, possibly Forest Lawn. Or maybe back home to Detroit to a family plot.

I'm now hoping some one goes to that cemetery and snaps a picture of his headstone for Find A Grave.

Thanks again for your note. BTW, where do you live? Just wondering.

I am in Fremont, CA. in Silicon Valley."

Ok, not sure what to make of it, now it does sound bogus. I think he would have remembered how he found out that info since it seems nobody else knows where Glenn is buried.

Stuck on the Border

No, sorry, just no. If he found it he would remember how he found it, as you said.

I don't know why but this whole cemetery subject I feel creepy. I don't know why. I know people want to know where he's buried so they can pay their respects but I feel like it's really stepping above and beyond the privacy. I know a lot of famous people we can find out where they are buried and go pay respects at their gravesite. I think because this is so soon I feel like it's too new. Sorry I'm just wanted to put that out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Elizasong View Post
    I don't know why but this whole cemetery subject I feel creepy. I don't know why. I know people want to know where he's buried so they can pay their respects but I feel like it's really stepping above and beyond the privacy. I know a lot of famous people we can find out where they are buried and go pay respects at their gravesite. I think because this is so soon I feel like it's too new. Sorry I'm just wanted to put that out there.
    I agree. It's too soon. That's probably why the site of his burial has not been made public. His family need some privacy. That's why I didn't post the name of the cemetery in California.

Out on the Border

Default Glenn in the UK

Here in the UK, BBC radio recently ran an interview with Glenn from one of his many visits to England. He seemed to know our country well - he compared it and his life here in 1973 to "the first girlfriend that you never forget." He said that the Eagles lived at 333 Kings Road in Chelsea and mentioned the name of a cafe or restaurant that was just below their apt -can't recall the name but it sounded French. I was shopping there recently and wandered along to 333 Kings Road. I was tickled to see that there is now a tequila bar below the apts. I took a photo but don't think there is a way to post it here.

For me, a Brit who loved the sheer "American-ness" of the Eagles, I was shocked to know that some of their early songs were recorded in Barnes - a pretty and rather sedate London "village".

During the recent sad January when there was so much sorrow and loss around, a Canadian friend called to say that she was making "shepherd's pie" in honour of David Bowie because it was his favourite dish. A week later in that same radio interview, Glenn described discovering Guinness, darts and shepherd's pie. I guess it's time to make one in honour of him.

Stuck on the Border

I can't see this tribute on this thread - I'm not even sure I've read it before. Anyway, I like it - it's one of the few that gives Glenn his due credit without overdoing it.
    Glenn Frey, the Lone Arranger, Spark Plug, Man with the Plan: An Appreciation of the Eagles Leader
    Billboard

January 19, 2016

During the release of his last solo album, 2012's standards collection After Hours, and the debut of the History of the Eagles film, Glenn Frey ruminated on his life's pursuit.

"The radio was on all the time at my house," recalled Frey, who grew up in the Detroit suburb of Royal Oak. "We heard all of the songs. One of my earliest memories was sitting in my grandmother's kitchen and my mother was doing the ironing with the radio on, singing with the Andrews Sisters. So obviously music is special to me."

Frey -- who died on Monday at the age of 67 -- was special to music, too. Yes, there were times he could be brusque, hard-nosed, cantankerous, perhaps arrogant, even. It's hard to forget the famous Eagles story about Frey being ready to rumble with guitarist Don Felder at the end of a benefit for California Senator Alan Cranston in July of 1980. But Eagles co-founder Don Henley aptly caught the many sides of Frey's personality in his statement following Songwriters Hall of Fame partner's death; "He was funny, bullheaded, mercurial, generous, deeply talented and driven."

That drive began back in the Detroit area, where Frey was bitten by the rock 'n roll bug early. "I heard that stuff and forgot about everything else," he once recalled. "I knew what I wanted to do. He learned to play piano -- classically trained and with taste you can hear in chords for songs such as "Desperado" and "The Last Resort" -- and then guitar. Absorbing Detroit's potent R&B along with rock, Frey became a fixture in the local music scene as a teenager, playing in bands such as the Subterraneans, the Four of Us, the Mushrooms and the Heavy Metal Kids. He sang backup on Bob Seger's "Ramblin' Gamblin' Man" in 1968 and by then was known as one of the most ambitious kids on the block. "Glenn was driven," Seger once recalled. "He wanted bigger things. He wanted out of here."

Frey rambled shortly after "Ramblin' Gamblin' Man," heading to Los Angeles where he'd find a unique niche. Meeting and subsequently living in the same apartment building with Jackson Browne and JD Souther -- with whom Frey performed as Longbranch Pennywhistle -- the fledgling artists blended rock, folk and even country into a unique and decidedly Californian sound, something Frey would further hone after meeting Henley and after the two joined Linda Ronstadt's band.

"We were putting together the band, and I was living with JD Souther back then and Longbranch Pennywhistle was kind of breaking up, and I thought, 'Alright, I'll get Glenn. He can play really good guitar," Ronstadt remembered. Frey and Henley wound up rooming together, and before long, Ronstadt recalled, "Glenn was saying, 'I'm gonna do a band with Don. We're gonna do a band together.' I said, 'That's great,' she added, laughing at the understatement.

There's no question Frey brought a lot to the party. He had sharp songwriting chops, a broad sonic sensibility, a voice that could be pure but also incorporate some grit and twang that -- when turned loose on leads for "Take It Easy," "Peaceful Easy Feeling," "Tequila Sunrise," "Already Gone" or "New Kid in Town" -- possessed an earthiness that complemented Henley's more pristine tones. Frey also had a harmonic intuitiveness that made him an ace ensemble singer, and Seger recalled that the other Eagles also nicknamed Frey "the lone arranger; people would bring in a song and Glenn would arrange it."

And then there was that force of personality, a Detroit kid's confidence and swagger that put the wind beneath the Eagles' wings. "Glenn was the one who started it all," Henley noted in his statement. "He was the spark plug, the man with the plan. He had an encyclopedic knowledge of popular music and a work ethic that just wouldn't quit." And Seger added, "Make no mistake about it; (Frey) was the leader of the Eagles....and they'll all tell you that."

When the Eagles' split between 1980-94, Henley may have been the solo star but Frey's own work showed a defining range both in and outside of music. His five solo albums ran a gamut from the ebullient No Fun Aloud to the more subdued The Allnighter, the R&B-laced Soul Searchin' and the Great American Songbook of After Hours. Soundtrack hits such as "You Belong to the City" and "Smuggler's Blues" from "Miami Vice" and "The Heat is On" from Beverly Hills Cop displayed Frey's ability to frame a cinematic moment, and on screens both big (Jerry Maguire, Let's Get Harry) and small (Wiseguy, Nash Bridges, Arli$$) -- or in fitness center ads, for that matter -- Frey demonstrated the authoritative presence a seasoned frontman.

Bob Seger on Glenn Frey: 'He Had a Drive, An Imagination & A Talent That Was Titanic'

As the History of the Eagles Tour wound down last year, Frey certainly had his eye on the future. Despite his medical issues, he spoke of being "three-quarters finished" with some songs for a solo album of original material. And, according to Henley, Frey was taking the lead role in development an Eagles musical for Broadway. "We're very fortunate," Frey said at the time. "We use the Eagles as the mothership and then we go out and do individual stuff, whether it's acting or environmental work or solo shows, then we come back to the Eagles and it's fresh again, so we've been able to strike a good balance between personal life, personal career and Eagles business.

"It took a long time to get that balance right, but I'm happy we did" -- and fortunately in time for him to enjoy it a bit.
    https://www.yahoo.com/music/glenn-fr...035831073.html

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

I don't think that I've read that tribute either. It's great. My only problem with it is that Strange Weather is not mentioned when naming his solo albums. That album is neyong long overdue for some recognition.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time