Page 51 of 129 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101 ... LastLast

Thread: Remembering Glenn Frey

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

Default Re: Remembering Glenn Frey

That's a great article!!! I hadn't read it till now either. And thanks Janette for posting that about him talking about their time in England. That fascinated me while I watched the "HOTE" doc as that was new to me and I've always been one of those Americans fascinated with the UK (and Ireland).
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Thanks UTW. That was a really nice tribute. BUT ... I do have to agree with AG about Strange Weather being snubbed. That is such a great album and it's a shame more folks don't know about it and give it the credit it deserves.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Regarding Glenn's final resting place, I was surprised to read the information about him being buried in a cemetery - I don't know why. I think it's because of the environment I've been raised in, I don't know anyone who is buried in a cemetery. It seems like everyone I know is cremated and the family chooses what to do with the ashes. I know this is not the norm. We buried my dad's ashes at sea, and the rest of my family, including myself, are donating our bodies to the local medical school. I enjoy the fact that we are such a diverse group on this board. I would be very interested to hear everyone's burial traditions (not in this thread obviously.) I wonder where Glenn's mom rests in peace.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    Regarding Glenn's final resting place, I was surprised to read the information about him being buried in a cemetery - I don't know why. I think it's because of the environment I've been raised in, I don't know anyone who is buried in a cemetery. It seems like everyone I know is cremated and the family chooses what to do with the ashes. I know this is not the norm. We buried my dad's ashes at sea, and the rest of my family, including myself, are donating our bodies to the local medical school. I enjoy the fact that we are such a diverse group on this board. I would be very interested to hear everyone's burial traditions (not in this thread obviously.) I wonder where Glenn's mom rests in peace.
    We have no concrete evidence that he was buried, just one comment on FB about a cemetery in LA & a very dubious post in FindAGrave which when contacted, the person who supplied the information could not give details on how he discovered it.

FP is right. I have learned that even when someone claims they have an "insider source" or "know someone", that half the time the information they give is still incorrect. I'll need some provable confirmation before I draw conclusions. If I never get that confirmation, so be it.

That said, in my experience, cemetery burial is the norm in the USA.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    That said, in my experience, cemetery burial is the norm in the USA.
    In Canada too

Default Re: Glenn in the UK

Quote Originally Posted by JanetteG View Post
    During the recent sad January when there was so much sorrow and loss around, a Canadian friend called to say that she was making "shepherd's pie" in honour of David Bowie because it was his favourite dish. A week later in that same radio interview, Glenn described discovering Guinness, darts and shepherd's pie. I guess it's time to make one in honour of him.
    Janette - IIRC, I once read where Glenn also discovered and developed a taste for lamb with mint sauce during his early days in London. Not sure how well that goes with Guinness though.

Stuck on the Border

I liked this Letter to the Editor:
    Feb. 20 — To the Editor:
    It was his voice. That soft, smooth, reassuring, Midwestern-Californian thing he had going on. Some called it his drawl. It was the sound of ice cream. He could pour and stir emotion simultaneously. His was a sound homemade. The vanilla sandy coast meets the soft rocky chips was his recipe for success.
    He could scoop, cut, and arrange harmonies so tight, they swirled seamlessly from low to high, floating flawlessly like soft serve upon a dish. He had a kind of friendly, sentimental, sometimes sad, and sometimes cheery flavor to his music. Whatever the mood of his songs, or the subject matter he sang about, he came across as believable. No artificial ingredients.
    He was one of the founding members of the Eagles brand, which has been churning out hits longer than Ben has known Jerry. I have been listening to those hits for longer than Ben has known Jerry, and I am sad. I’m sad that the sound of ice cream cannot keep churning out at least one more time. I’ll miss you Glenn Frey. Peace to your soul.
    Kathy Brown

Stuck on the Border

Promoter Jimmy Koplik talked about Glenn and the Eagles but refused to kiss-and-tell. There's a backstage photo from the last tour.
    http://theriver1059.iheart.com/onair...lenn-14288158/

Here's his facebook post:
    https://www.facebook.com/21393272873...5820779546640/

Thanks for the links UTW. I can't find a link to listen to the conversation about Glenn. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?