Page 54 of 129 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864104 ... LastLast

Thread: Remembering Glenn Frey

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

Default Re: Remembering Glenn Frey

I posted about it in the photo thread too but I love his version of "Wild Mountain Thyme" so much!!! It's one of my fav Celtic songs too and actually posted it on my Tumblr today for the holiday. Surprisingly my Mom didn't know he covered it so I showed it to her a couple weeks ago and she started crying as she loves that song so much and Glenn too.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Out on the Border TequilaSunrise82's Avatar

Yes thanks for posting that - I love the song and of course Glenn signing it makes it extra special!

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Lacken101 View Post
    For the day that's in it - Glenn singing 'Wild Mountain Thyme' from his Live in Dublin concert.
    I hope you don't mind me putting this link here but it's one of my favourite versions of this song and it's my way of remembering Glenn.........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imO6cgo7a3Y
    Absolutely perfect.

Stuck on the Border

A lovely tribute from Glenn's Royal Oak bandmates
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsMAd9DHago

This one is a local news report on "Glenn Frey Drive" and includes an interview with former band-mate, Bill Barnes.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4XreCIP5WY
    Last edited by UndertheWire; 03-18-2016 at 06:27 AM. Reason: I forgot the link

Those were lovely to watch. Thank you.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Border Desperado

Thanks UTW! You can imagine Glenn's perfectionism back in the early days when Bill Barnes describes their practice sessions. And he's still demanding, even decades later. "Hi Jeff. You're out of tune."

Thanks so much for posting that link!

I'm definitely going to Detroit as of yesterday.

Oh, and yes, that version of WMT is lovely. Glenn really seemed to love Ireland.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by FWIW View Post
    Thanks UTW! You can imagine Glenn's perfectionism back in the early days when Bill Barnes describes their practice sessions. And he's still demanding, even decades later. "Hi Jeff. You're out of tune."
    Hello,

I'm one of the newer visitors who came here after Glenn's death. Many of you wrote to me about my tribute to him - from my point of view as someone who writes on classical music and opera but who had loved Glenn from a distance in my youth. This lovely clip of, what I thought of as, "Glenn's Geezers" was really touching; it was so moving to travel through time with these young/older men from his teen years.

And I realized as I watched it that if Glenn had kept up with his piano training and gone into classical music, he would almost certainly have made a dynamite orchestra conductor. The man had all the makings of a 'maestro' - huge energy, perfectionism, passion (using the word in its correct form - not the over-used current version), sensitivity, drive, musicality and massive charisma. And a huge ability to communicate his enthusiasm to the public. He kept doing that for 4 decades. Too bad he did not have the longevity of most conductors...

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    A lovely tribute from Glenn's Royal Oak bandmates
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsMAd9DHago

This one is a local news report on "Glenn Frey Drive" and includes an interview with former band-mate, Bill Barnes.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4XreCIP5WY
    Thanks for these, UtW! Absolutely love the first one especially from his old band mates! Here come those tears again!

And of course, WMT is gorgeous! Hadn't heard/watched it for a while!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by JanetteG View Post
    Hello,

I'm one of the newer visitors who came here after Glenn's death. Many of you wrote to me about my tribute to him - from my point of view as someone who writes on classical music and opera but who had loved Glenn from a distance in my youth. This lovely clip of, what I thought of as, "Glenn's Geezers" was really touching; it was so moving to travel through time with these young/older men from his teen years.

And I realized as I watched it that if Glenn had kept up with his piano training and gone into classical music, he would almost certainly have made a dynamite orchestra conductor. The man had all the makings of a 'maestro' - huge energy, perfectionism, passion (using the word in its correct form - not the over-used current version), sensitivity, drive, musicality and massive charisma. And a huge ability to communicate his enthusiasm to the public. He kept doing that for 4 decades. Too bad he did not have the longevity of most conductors...
    That's interesting.

If you know Van Morrison, you would know that he often 'conducts' his band with expressive hand gestures & nods. Well, when I saw Glenn at Niagara Falls he did this too, specifically during The Look Of Love. He didn't have a guitar, admittedly, but during the instrumental sections he turned to the band & gestured towards them as if trying to communicate to them how he wanted the music to sound. He actually did use his hands the way a conducter would at one point.