Page 58 of 129 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268108 ... LastLast

Thread: Remembering Glenn Frey

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

Default Re: Remembering Glenn Frey

Oh wow that is amazing he called her!!! I'd love to know what she wrote him and Randy too.

I had another thought of Glenn this morning as I was watching one of my favorite actresses Kristen Bell get interviewed and she was talking about a variety of topics including about growing up in Michigan. She too was from the Royal Oak area and pretty much joked she grew up in Mayberry. LOL This totally made me think of comments Glenn's said about his hometown too and with his love for James Dean and my guess wanting to get out and go to California. LOL Plus, I noticed even more when Kristen isn't acting her accent sounds so much like Glenn's now. Even though I've been a fan of hers for over 10 years I never knew they were from the same town till around Feb/March, but I can hear it now too. Plus, it was nice hearing her talking about music and how she loves singing too. Her comments sounded familiar too.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    OMG! A phone call from Glenn back in the 70's! How awesome! I would have died and gone to heaven right then! I'd also love to know what she said in the letters to get his response! Glenn!
    I wouldn't have known what to say either but how cool.

Stuck on the Border

I am very sceptical about the veracity of the story.

Apart from anything else was the altercation that Randy & Glenn had made public? I would have thought not.

Stuck on the Border

I know I've been feeling a bit sad the last few days and I get the idea that others are, too. What I find comforting is that Glenn appears to have lived a happy and balanced life for most of the time since 1980. We've read about how many of their tours seemed to be organised around the golf courses he wanted to play and how he often had family with him. Also, the long gaps in the schedules that allowed a lot of downtime which he spent with family and friends doing what regular folks do (or would do given his resources!). As fans, we may have grumbled that he didn't spend as much time recording as we'd have liked, but now, knowing that he wouldn't have a long retirement, I'm glad that he was able do all that while he was fit and healthy.

I still love Rolling Stone's oral history, as posted earlier in this thread, as it shows the arc of Glenn's career, as told by the people who knew him: https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/...&postcount=178

I'm still waiting to hear more from Don Henley, Joe and Tim. I hope it's not too long before they get those books written (Don and Joe, thought I'd be happy to see one from Tim, too).

Out on the Border TequilaSunrise82's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I am very sceptical about the veracity of the story.

Apart from anything else was the altercation that Randy & Glenn had made public? I would have thought not.
    I agree with FP. I can't imagine Glenn would pick up the phone and call a random fan he got a letter from on such a topic nonetheless. But I guess a girl can dream

Border Desperado

Very perceptive UtW. I've also been feeling a little sad. It hasn't really gone away since Jan 18, but it's a little more intense lately. I think it's because I've seen others move forward with their plans, e.g. Don and Joe doing tours this summer, while I know that Glenn will never have that chance.

I agree that the Rolling Stone "oral history" piece is outstanding. I also like the story from the dedication of Glenn Frey Drive. http://patch.com/michigan/royaloak/g...-eagles-legend I especially like the quote from his high school buddy Bob Wilson, "But more than anything, Glenn Frey was fun." I could use that quote as a caption for so many photos. I think both stories reinforce the fact that Glenn never forgot about his friends along the way. So many referred to him as a truly stand-up guy.

In the many videos and photos I've seen since his death, Glenn always looked like he was having the time of his life. Family and friends were never in short supply. I have no idea if the FB story is true, but given the things I've read it seems possible to me. He was certainly dedicated to his fans and I could see him trying to set the record straight.

Though he was only 67 when he died, he packed an awful lot in those years. I feel fortunate that he left us with so much to enjoy for years to come.

I don't know how I missed that article from Rolling Stone. It was nice to hear anybody's opinion on Glenn and some quotes from Glenn in there too. He was really loved by his friends.

I have to feel sorry for Don during those 2 months when Glenn was very sick. He had all that responsibility on his shoulders trying to keep everybody updated on Glenn's condition and probably visiting Glenn a few times while he was in the hospital. It makes me think of a politician. Your public official(where its the mayor, governor or president) is very sick and the city or country is now in your hands now until he or she get better since you are next in line.

Stuck on the Border

A 'surprise' tribute at the Hall of Fame by Sheryl Crow. The tribute to Bowie was also a 'surprise'. I don't know what to say.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/glenn...-hall-tribute/

In Rolling Stone's coverage of the HoF ceremony this tribute has not been mentioned once.
    Last edited by Freypower; 04-09-2016 at 02:39 AM.

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

I saw that pop up in my Google Alert this morning and I love they did that!!! I love both Sheryl and Grace and I saw the YT vid that's posted in the other thread and they did so well imo. Hopefully we'll get a clearer vid with less background talking after it airs later this month.

ETA: Apparently according to some of the articles they'll also be doing a video "In Memoriam" segment/individual segments for the musicians who passed in the past year & couple months during the HBO broadcast. Besides Glenn and Bowie, Merle Haggard was paid tribute individually as well.
    Last edited by buffyfan145; 04-09-2016 at 04:18 PM.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Stuck on the Border

RS have now decided the tribute was one of the highlights of the HoF ceremony.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/pi...-frey-20160409

Except look at how they have written the song's title.