Page 63 of 129 FirstFirst ... 135359606162636465666773113 ... LastLast

Thread: Remembering Glenn Frey

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Default Re: Remembering Glenn Frey

I'm glad to see someone mention Glenn's voice.

Every article I have seen regarding the increasing numberr of musicians who've died has listed Glenn, usually right after David Bowie.

Shun,that cartoon says it perfectly. The year isn't even halfway over yet!
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Yep - as Glenn may have said 'That cartoon about clocks it'.

And I have to say, everything I've seen in the U.S. in terms of recognizing the 2016 musicians that have left us did include Glenn. Of course, rightfully so, MHO.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I was going to wait to say this, but I read on facebook that their will have special edition of Glenn and The Eagles. It should be coming out very soon. We will keep an eye out for this. I'm going to Books a Million next week when I get paid. It should be on the shelves by then.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Quote Originally Posted by shunlvswx View Post
    I was going to wait to say this, but I read on facebook that their will have special edition of Glenn and The Eagles. It should be coming out very soon. We will keep an eye out for this. I'm going to Books a Million next week when I get paid. It should be on the shelves by then.
    I heard about that. I'll also be looking at my local BAM store.

ETA: Fastlane posted something about RS doing something yesterday (Friday), but neither RS's Facebook or their website mention anything about doing something for Glenn.
    Last edited by AlreadyGone95; 04-23-2016 at 02:10 PM.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by shunlvswx View Post
    Who? Rolling Stone?

Yes. Rolling Stone will have special edition on the Eagles. I don't know why I left out the magazine.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Thanks for the info, shun. Since this is a tribute to the band, I went ahead and started a thread in the Eagles forum.

And on another note, after Prince's passing, the New Times published a short article in which Glenn and David Bowie are featured.

http://www.nytimes.com/live/prince-i...imes&smtyp=cur

With ‘Dear 2016,’ Music Fans Lament a Bad Year

Credit From left: Maurizio Gambarini/DPA, via Agence France-Presse -- Getty Images; AP Photo/Gus Ruelas; Bertrand Guay/Agence France-Presse -- Getty Images

April 21, 2016
    By: Daniel E. Slotnik

After spending winter mourning the deaths of high-profile musicians, including David Bowie and Glenn Frey, legions of fans declared that they’d had enough with 2016.

On social media, they railed against the year’s bad news as they grieved for Prince, the latest music legend to die this year. Their messages ranged from wheedling to angry and were tagged “Dear 2016,” a phrase that trended on Twitter by Thursday afternoon.

Many commenters simply castigated the year, and one made the point that Denise Matthews, the singer, model and actress known as Vanity who toured with Prince in the 1980s, also died recently.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

Back in January, a music blogger chose to remember Glenn through "The One You Love". Here's the start and the end (and a link if you want to read the middle).
    In reaction to the shocking death of Glenn Frey, co-founder of the Eagles, most tributes have focused solely on his band. It is easy to remember Frey for his contributions to one of the 1970s’ biggest groups, writing and singing hits such as “Peaceful Easy Feeling,” “Take It Easy,” and “New Kid in Town.” However, few articles and news reports have mentioned his highly successful ’80s-era solo career, starting with his 1982 debut No Fun Aloud and concluding with 1988’s Soul Searchin’.

He continued releasing solo projects in the 1990s, but none spawned the hits like the previous decade’s efforts. Newly split from the Eagles, Glenn Frey immediately created another persona on No Fun Aloud — a smooth, soul-tinged crooner singing romantic lyrics. The single “The One You Love” announced this new phase of Frey’s career, and the ballad still works courtesy of Frey’s earnest vocals as well as Ernie Watts and Jim Horn’s sensual tenor saxophones.

By the mid-1990s, Frey reunited with the Eagles on their hugely successful “Hell Freezes Over” tour. He recorded only a few more solo albums, the last being After Hours in 2012. While his solo career may not equal the Eagles in terms of sales and influence, Glenn Frey’s 1980s work deserves more attention for its catchiness and change in artistic direction.

“The One You Love” exemplifies Frey’s ability to forge his own path after leaving such an iconic band. Instead of repeating their country-rock sound, he reverted to his Detroit roots and created his own blend of rock, pop and soul. His impressive post-Eagles reinvention and creative rejuvenation should not be overlooked.
    http://somethingelsereviews.com/2016...-one-you-love/

Thank you, Kit, for being one of the rare people to give credit to Glenn's solo work and to recognise he chose to do something different rather than take the safer path of recording Eagle-like material. I know there are some who see this change as confirmation that it was Henley and Felder who provided the musical direction for the last couple of albums but I see it more as Glenn breaking free and doing what he wanted.

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

That is nice to see someone talk more about Glenn's solo work. Thanks for posting that UTW.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Agreed. Thanks UTW!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten