Page 64 of 129 FirstFirst ... 145460616263646566676874114 ... LastLast

Thread: Remembering Glenn Frey

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Default Re: Remembering Glenn Frey

I'm glad to see someone talk about his solo career, and not focus on YBTTC or THIO. Thanks for posting the article, UTW!
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Out on the Border

Default Glenn's wiki entry claims he was a "painter"...

Hello again everyone. I've been moving house and have been a bit out of touch but was happy to see all the lovely photos that you have been posting. And to hear about the bittersweet journey to Detroit. This question should perhaps have been in a separate thread but I hope it is relevant to the 'remembering' theme:
    There's a BBC page dedicated to Glenn. It is not very interesting and a note on the page says that all the info was drawn from wikipedia. In the opening sentence, describing Glenn's many talents, it says that he was also a 'painter'. I had never heard about this before and am wondering if it is a mistake. I know there is quite a tradition of 'painting singers' :Joni, Tony Bennett, Pavarotti but I did not know that GF was part of this tradition. Can anyone confirm my suspicion that his is an error? If not, I'd love to hear about this hidden talent!

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Glenn's wiki entry claims he was a "painter"...

Quote Originally Posted by JanetteG View Post
    Hello again everyone. I've been moving house and have been a bit out of touch but was happy to see all the lovely photos that you have been posting. And to hear about the bittersweet journey to Detroit. This question should perhaps have been in a separate thread but I hope it is relevant to the 'remembering' theme:
    There's a BBC page dedicated to Glenn. It is not very interesting and a note on the page says that all the info was drawn from wikipedia. In the opening sentence, describing Glenn's many talents, it says that he was also a 'painter'. I had never heard about this before and am wondering if it is a mistake. I know there is quite a tradition of 'painting singers' :Joni, Tony Bennett, Pavarotti but I did not know that GF was part of this tradition. Can anyone confirm my suspicion that his is an error? If not, I'd love to hear about this hidden talent!
    I have never heard anything about him being a painter.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Janette, now that you mention it, I have read that somewhere, too. I can't remember where it was though.....and that was all that was said about it. It just kind of went over my head at the time.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

I'm sure I've read that he collected art, possibly starting with the Boyd Elder sculpture that's on the OotN cover, but, no doubt, nurtured by his first wife who had a gallery in Aspen during their marriage.

I don't recall hearing that but I have a bad memory.

Still, Wikipedia is user-edited and full of errors. If we can't get secondary confirmation unrelated to Wikipedia, I think we should take it with a grain of salt.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I had wondered about that too, so when I heard an interviewer ask Glenn what he did outside of music I took note of his answer. I distinctly recall hearing him say "I don't paint".

Quote Originally Posted by GlennLover View Post
    I had wondered about that too, so when I heard an interviewer ask Glenn what he did outside of music I took note of his answer. I distinctly recall hearing him say "I don't paint".
    ..well there you go...mystery solved..

Stuck on the Border

I was feeling a bit grumpy that we've yet to hear much from Glenn's band mates* but instead I'm going to be thankful for those of his friends who took the time to share their feelings with us.

Thank you to Jack Tempchin for keeping up the good work by regularly making facebook posts about Glenn and the Eagles and for continuing to mention Glenn in interviews.

Thank you to John David Souther for those simple, heartbreaking comments about your "Little Brother" and memories of the wild, early days of Longbranch Pennywhistle.

Most of all, thank you to Bob Seger for coming out so strongly at the start so that no one was left in any doubt that Glenn was the leader of the band.

* Billboard reports that Joe is planning on having a tribute segment for the Detroit date of his tour. link
    Last edited by UndertheWire; 05-12-2016 at 06:34 PM.

Out on the Border

Re the "painter" question: thanks everyone for confirming what I thought. I was having a hard time imagining Glenn in front of a canvas. As for the rest of the band and UTW's post that "Joe is planning on having a tribute segment for the Detroit date of his tour," I would have thought it was a given that on any tour the others now do, there would be a mention of their colleague and 'brother' of 40 years. There does seem to be a bit too much silence and one can only hope that a proper tribute that includes the fans is in the pipeline.