Page 66 of 129 FirstFirst ... 165662636465666768697076116 ... LastLast

Thread: Remembering Glenn Frey

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Remembering Glenn Frey

Joe:
    Glenn was such a great musician, but if there's anything I remember most about him, it's his friendship. He helped me in a lot of ways. He helped me sing better, but he also helped me with matters pertaining to how to live. I just miss Glenn.

I don't know if this has been posted anywhere yet. If you scroll down a bit there is a short audio clip of Joe commenting on how "they" are doing now in regards to dealing with Glenn's death.

http://wcsx.com/2016/05/18/joe-walsh-still-not-glenn/

Quote Originally Posted by GlennLover View Post
    I don't know if this has been posted anywhere yet. If you scroll down a bit there is a short audio clip of Joe commenting on how "they" are doing now in regards to dealing with Glenn's death.

http://wcsx.com/2016/05/18/joe-walsh-still-not-glenn/
    ..so so sad....

That sounds like a very honest response to how they're doing. I feel for them. Although they had more of a "heads up" to Glenn's death than we did, you can tell it's still very raw for them. As a fan, while I'd like to read or hear more about their individual thoughts on Glenn's death, I appreciate that they do not want to force anything. Maybe, in time, as Joe said, they will revisit it. But for now, they all have my respect in regards to how they are handling things.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Border Desperado

PM and others, thanks for your words of wisdom. Sometimes I let my own desire to see/read more tributes to Glenn cloud my judgement.

Stuck on the Border

I'm guitly of wanting "more, more" but I'm satisified with brief comments, at least for while.

I don't think this has been posted previously. It's nothing that new but it's relateable. From Grand Junction, Colorado:
    Triple Played: Celebrating artists’ lives after they’re gone

By Rock Cesario
    Friday, January 29, 2016
    In the past few weeks we have had to say good-bye to David Bowie and Glenn Frey.
    That wasn’t an easy thing for their fans to do.
    I am a big fan of both men, each for different reasons, and their deaths hit me very hard. This is due in part to my adoration for the men and their music. It is also because there was no prior news of either of them being sick, and both were not yet in their 70s. Keeping something like that private in this day and age of information is not an easy task.

Interest in artists’ work always increases exponentially after their passing, kind of like Church attendance during the holidays. Our one-stop is sold out of almost every recorded CD and DVD featuring Bowie or Frey. That also happened with Stevie Ray Vaughan, Jerry Garcia and others.

For those who were lifelong fans who collected and celebrated these artists’ music, it isn’t a problem because they already have what they want.

For the fans who celebrate artists’ lives and careers after the fact or those who want more, there are many ways to access their music. YouTube and Spotify have all of these artists’ mainstream music as well as live shots or recordings that will surprise even the most ardent fan. The history of the Eagles plays differently to me now that Frey is gone.

David Bowie was a stylist and a visionary, who went against the grain from the start. He also was a rocker whose far-reaching influence will continue to be felt for years. Without him there would be no Madonna, Culture Club, Nirvana or Lady Gaga, among others.

Just as rock ‘n’ roll was mellowing out in the early ‘70s, Bowie shocked everyone with his music and clothes. He became a big part of my music after I got out of high school. I loved Bowie, but I lived and breathed the Eagles.

I bought the Eagles first album in when it came out in 1972, and was immediately drawn to the Frey’s songs first. “Take It Easy,” “Peaceful Easy Feeling,” “Most of Us Are Sad,” “Earlybird,” “Chug All Night” and “Nightingale.” His smooth laid-back voice fit the country rock sound of most of those songs.

I bought “Desperado” when it came out in 1973, and immediately fell in love with the record. Frey sang lead on “Twenty-One,” “Tequila Sunrise,” “Outlaw Man” and “Out Of Control.”

Todd Crone and I went to Mazzuca’s to buy the Eagles’ third record, “On The Border,” and went to his parents’ house to immediately listen to it.
    At first, we didn’t like it because we thought it rocked too much. In the “History of the Eagles” special on Showtime, Frey said that is exactly what they were trying to do. It was why they added Don Felder to the band at that point.
    Frey said, “I’m from Detroit. I’m a rocker.”

I would have to say that nowadays “On The Border” is my favorite Eagles record, and I like their first three better than the others.

From 1972 until 1980, I listened to the Eagles more than any other band and maybe all the others put together. Frey was a big reason for that.
    “On the day that I die, I just might scream. If I’m alive in the morning. I’ll be alive in a dream.”
    — Glenn Frey” from “Chug All Night” on “Eagles,” 1972.
    http://www.gjsentinel.com/entertainm...er-theyre-gone

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Thanks for posting that article, I really enjoyed reading it. There were a few factual errors though - Glenn didn't sing lead on Twenty-One, yet he doesn't mention Doolin-Dalton, which he does sing on - but these didn't detract from the piece too much. I thought it was especially interesting to read that the author and his friend initially didn't get on quite as well with On The Border as they did with the first two albums, but that it later grew on them. The more I listen, the more I think that there was a marked overall stylistic change towards more rock and less country on OTB compared to its predecessors, even on the songs where it was just the original four band members, so this struck a bit of a chord with me even though I actually heard OTB before listening to the first two albums.

Stuck on the Border

Also Earlybird & Nightingale were not sung by Glenn. He wrote MOUAS but doesn't sing it.

The writer means well no doubt but he doesn't actually know much about Glenn's work. If he listened to the Eagles so much he should have mentioned some of Glenn's most famous songs which came after On The Border.

Dreamer, HoustonBaby and I went to Joshua Tree a couple days ago and found the spot where they did the photoshoot for the Eagles LP. We laid this there:

"You'll always be in our hearts" indeed.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

That's a beautiful tribute, Soda.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time