Page 69 of 129 FirstFirst ... 195965666768697071727379119 ... LastLast

Thread: Remembering Glenn Frey

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

Default Re: Remembering Glenn Frey

Thanks Dreamer for posting that. That is a lovely message from her.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Thanks for posting that, Dreamer. His family continues to be in my prayers.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Here's another David Spero radio interview. He talks about Glenn being a regular guy.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQpcTc6hAEc

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Jimmy Buffett honored Glenn by playing Take It Easy when he played in Detroit last night (June 18th)

http://www.billboard.com/articles/co...owe-in-detroit
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Thanks for the links.

Stuck on the Border

This is a golf post from January. The main post is essentially a reposting of something we already have, but the comments include a few memories from people who came across Glenn while playing golf. In short, he remembered names and was nice.

http://www.geoffshackelford.com/home...he-golfer.html

Thanks for that, UTW.

Stuck on the Border

I'm not exactly what a "cloudmix" is. This has a couple of people talking about Glenn's career (with lots of errors - you could make it a drinking game) but an interesting track list.
    http://nodepression.com/podcast/sund...carol-bernotas

Stuck on the Border

I'm looking for an interview I read several months ago in which someone spoke about being the opening act for Glenn's Strange Weather tour. If anyone has it saved, please share.

Meanwhile, this came out of my search. It may already have been posted.
    Newcastle country rocker Morgan Evans, a lifelong Eagles fan, was the support act for Frey’s Civic Theatre show.
    “I learnt to play guitar out of an Eagles songbook, for real,” Evans says.
    “The first song I ever jammed on with my drummer mate, at age 13, was Take It Easy, for real.
    “And 15 years later I got to open for Glenn Frey at my favourite venue in my home town, the Civic Theatre - it was unbelievable.
    “I still remember the feeling of walking out on stage, plugging my guitar in and looking down at his setlist.
    “It was a full house, 1500 people or so, I’d been introduced and the room was silent.
    “It was a big moment for me but all I could think about was the list of songs at my feet and the fact that this bloke had written them all.
    “The first song on the list was Peaceful Easy Feeling, it was the second song I ever learnt to play and a song I played at every bar gig I ever did.”
    Three songs into his 45-minute set, Evans realised he was being watched by someone in the wings of the stage.
    “I glanced over to the side of stage and saw Glenn watching my set,” he recalls.
    “He stood there the whole time.
    “After the show I walked over to him and introduced myself and thanked him for having me on the show.
    “He replied with ‘Hey, I’m Glenn Frey, that was a really great show, thank you’.
    “We didn’t hang for long, he had meet and greet commitments to fulfil before his own show, but I’ll never forget that.
    “It was 'one of those nights'.
    “He was softly spoken, polite, a true gentleman and in the little time we spent together it was easy to tell that the guy loved music.
    “And the world sure loved his.”
    http://www.maitlandmercury.com.au/st...riters-photos/

Stuck on the Border

I don't think this has been posted before:
    'History of the Eagles' Producer Alex Gibney Pens Glenn Frey Tribute: "He Was Brash and Blunt. I Liked That"

2:14 PM PST 1/19/2016 by Alex Gibney

Gibney recalls how the Eagles co-founder and L.A. music legend, who died Jan. 18 at age 67, came up with the perfect line when helping Jackson Browne write lyrics to 'Take It Easy.' I first met Glenn Frey when we initially talked about doing what became the film The History of the Eagles. I got on with him right away because he was forthright. He may have pissed off some people in his time, but it was often because he was brash and blunt. I liked that.
    He was from Detroit, which was a blessing because it was a town of musical crosscurrents. He started in a band called The Subterraneans and ended up in the rock 'n' roll penthouse.
    What to say about his legacy? He was part of one of the great rock 'n' roll stories — a duo (with Don Henley) in Linda Ronstadt's backup band that ends up putting together a group that records the best-selling album of the 20th century.

What I remember most was his work ethic. When it comes to music stories, the Amadeus myth is the biggest con. It suggests that some people are just born to genius. Bullshit. Charlie Parker didn’t just wake up one day, start to blow and watch his fingers play "Ornithology." He practiced. I remember Glenn talking to me about songwriting. He started out singing covers, and Bob Seger told him he had to start writing songs.
    "But what if they’re bad?" asked Glenn. "Don’t worry," said Seger, "They will be. But they will get better."
    When Glenn moved to L.A., he lived upstairs from Jackson Browne. He used to listen to him write songs on the piano, note by note, phrase by phrase, punctuated only by the occasional whistle of the tea kettle.
    "Doctor, my eyes. Tell me what you see …"
    Then back to work.
    "I got it," Glenn told me. "It wasn’t divine inspiration. It was hard work. Elbow grease."
    "Elbow grease." That always sounded to me like a term from the Motor City.
    It turns out English poet Andrew Marvell — no auto mechanic — used it long before it got to Detroit. "Two or three brawny Fellows in a Corner, with meer Ink and Elbow-grease, do more Harm than an Hundred systematical Divines with their sweaty Preaching." When Marvell said "harm," he meant influence.
    When Jackson Browne got stuck in writing "Take It Easy" on what to say after "Standing on a corner in Winslow, Arizona," he turned to Glenn Frey, who came up with, "It’s a girl, my lord, in a flatbed Ford …" Browne liked that — a rock haiku: "girl, lord, Ford …" Elbow grease. Hard work. And influence. Glenn Frey.
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...-gibney-857258