Page 80 of 129 FirstFirst ... 307076777879808182838490 ... LastLast

Thread: Remembering Glenn Frey

Default Re: Remembering Glenn Frey

I forget to comment on Keith Urban's video. That was soo nice and sweet. I think I remembered him playing piano on Take It Easy. I like that he gave the people he paid tribute to equal amount of time on their songs. I see why I love Keith's music. That was soo nice of him to do that.

I like the dancing video too. I thought maybe they were going show the clip of Glenn dancing to All She Wants To Do Is Dance. LOL

Stuck on the Border

Well, Glenn and the Eagles were never that big in the UK - just one top ten single and one #1 album (compared with George Michael's 25 top ten singles and five #1 albums).

While I was pleased to see that the BBC included Glenn in their round-up of musicians who died during the year, I wasn't impressed by what they wrote. I wasn't going to post, but maybe sharing my indignation will help.
    Glenn Frey was one of the founder members of The Eagles, writing classic such as Hotel California and Take It Easy. He died in January from a long-standing intestinal complaint, which he attributed to a life of excess fuelled by alcohol and drugs.
    Really? They couldn't do any better than that? I know the "burgers and beer and blow and broads" quote but that was about his lifestyle thirty years ago and made before he knew about his auto-immune conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    Well, Glenn and the Eagles were never that big in the UK - just one top ten single and one #1 album (compared with George Michael's 25 top ten singles and five #1 albums).

While I was pleased to see that the BBC included Glenn in their round-up of musicians who died during the year, I wasn't impressed by what they wrote. I wasn't going to post, but maybe sharing my indignation will help.

Really? They couldn't do any better than that? I know the "burgers and beer and blow and broads" quote but that was about his lifestyle thirty years ago and made before he knew about his auto-immune conditions.
    That's terrible. Poor research for one thing, but very irreverent. Should have said more about his talent & contributions to music.

That was soo freaking wrong!!! They're acting like Glenn never stopped doing drugs and alcohol and died because he was still doing it and caught up with him. I guess they would put whatever they want for ratings.

I guess using drugs and drinking alcohol 30 or 40 years ago sound so much better than what he died of and even say anything about his talent.

Wow. Disappointing, to put it mildly.

As for his inclusion overall, in the US, he often gets mentioned but is always overshadowed by the segments about Prince.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

You have to look at it this way.

He wasn't the sole singer, sole writer or sole guitarist. To most he was just a band member. They didn't think he was sufficiently important as an indivdual to warrant the coverage his fans thought he deserved. Then there was his solo career, which to my mind has either been totally forgotten, reduced to two songs, or dismissed as irrelevant.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    You have to look at it this way.

He wasn't the sole singer, sole writer or sole guitarist. To most he was just a band member.
    And, that's pretty much the way Glenn wanted it. He seemed to enjoy cheering on the other members of the band rather than himself.

As one of HIS fans, I know he was much, much more.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

I am glad most of the things I saw here in the US did include Glenn. I do wish it was more too in some cases, as I feel some of the magazines (Entertainment Weekly, Life, People, etc.) did write more in their print and online versions. I agree too most do see him as part of a band and the others that passed last year did seem to have more of an impact culturally as solo artists, actors, others on TV in news/sports, writers, and athletes. But again last year was the most celebrity deaths in modern history so I noticed others were overlooked in various entertainment fields as well just because of the high numbers.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

But let's put it this way. Even though he wasn't as popular than let's say David Bowie, Prince, George Michael, or even Alan Thicke. And even though he's going to be remembered more as being part of a band and Eagles co-founding than his solo career, at least he wasn't one of those artists where the people were saying who? I've seen that with a few people who died last year. They may not know who he was, but they knew the Eagles. And its sad he will only be known as part of a group instead of his solo. Probably all the guys will be remembered because being part of very popular 70s group who was still popular after they got back together until the end.

I have seen some articles and videos where they forgot Glenn(heck they forgot a lot of people), but of all the articles and videos I've seen, Glenn was included.

Thank goodness the Eagles were still active and still touring before Glenn died. He may not have an interesting and strange life like David, George Michael or Prince, but he also wasn't controversial.

Seem like Glenn got more respect for the country world than the rock/classical world.

As long as there's an Eagle song played on the radio, their music will always live on and I don't see any of the radio station across the world stop playing any of the Eagles music any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    And, that's pretty much the way Glenn wanted it. He seemed to enjoy cheering on the other members of the band rather than himself.

As one of HIS fans, I know he was much, much more.
    Well said!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten