Page 82 of 129 FirstFirst ... 327278798081828384858692 ... LastLast

Thread: Remembering Glenn Frey

Out on the Border

Default Re: Remembering Glenn Frey

Hi Everyone,

This was just posted in Thomas Sullivan's monthly Sullygram:

Must close with this…

I miss you, Glenn. January 18th will be one year since you strolled into the shadows, leaving “a hole in the world” for fans, family and friends and effectively ending the legendary run of the Eagles. Funny how destiny didn’t throw a couple of Detroit boys together until we had wandered all over the globe separately. Same thing happened when I wrote a book for a famous mountain climber after the Everest disaster. It turned out we had played Little League baseball against each other as 12-year-olds in Bay City, Michigan. Destiny. Sounds corny, but with some people you feel it, know it. A couple billion people knew it was a touch of destiny when they heard your music with the Eagles. I’ve listened to it in a whisper-quiet stadium with tens of thousands of people holding their breath for every intimate nuance coming out of the speakers, and I’ve heard you sing me a song across a table, and it’s the same. You resonate something in the core of everyone’s soul. Do you remember a night when we had eaten at some restaurant either in Michigan or Minnesota and had gone back to the darkened corridors of an arena where you had just sung for a packed house? We suddenly realized we had to go in different directions, and we strolled apart, then turned to face each other. We were just silhouettes faintly lit by lights from the street. Neither of us spoke, but we knew we were fading from each other’s lives again for an unspecified time. No words needed, because the pause said, “See you down the road, amigo.” I treasure that. Thanks for all of it, my brother muse. The friendship, the laughs and the music that breathes forever though you’ve strolled again into the shadows. See you down the road….

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

Love Joe's comments and Thomas' too.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Glenn really had a huge impact on the people who knew him (not to mention those of us who never met him)!!!!!!!

Stuck on the Border

Thomas Sullivan's comments are touching.

I'm glad Joe has found a way to talk about Glenn.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennLover View Post
    I agree. It's too soon. That's probably why the site of his burial has not been made public. His family need some privacy. That's why I didn't post the name of the cemetery in California.
    Maybe he was buried under his real name at birth (not Frey)

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Redcloud View Post
    Maybe he was buried under his real name at birth (not Frey)
    Why would that have happened?

He was known as 'Frey' for his entire life. I still think it is more likely he was cremated.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Quote Originally Posted by buffyfan145 View Post
    That's really nice FF they included him. I'm hoping to see posts on all my social media sites, and I know other fans will for sure on them as I will be posting on all. It might not be as largely covered as Bowie's currently is but a lot of us will be posting.
    Oh we will. Glenn is still and always will be special to his fans and remembered particularly around this time every year
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Why would that have happened?

He was known as 'Frey' for his entire life. I still think it is more likely he was cremated.

Its obvious why that could have happened. Hence the reason nobody knows what happened to his remains!!!

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Redcloud View Post
    Its obvious why that could have happened. Hence the reason nobody knows what happened to his remains!!!
    For a start it is a private matter & regardless, I find the idea that someone would be buried under a name they never used to be quite bizarre. Using this logic, when Pope Francis dies his tomb should read 'Jorge Bergoglio'.

The fact is we don't know & we will never know, and to me that suggests cremation.

An example of Glenn's lack of name recognition. This is a British example & probably won't mean much to most Americans.

On the latest episode of The Grand Tour (the Amazon Prime successor to Top Gear) they were in Nashville & Jeremy Clarkson decided to be provocative & state that America's best music came from Detroit, not Nashville. He gave a list of names to which Richard Hammond responded negatively (Hammond plays what I feel is a cringeworthy role as an Americanophile). 'Half of the Eagles' Clarkson said, to which Hammond replied 'I don't like that half'.

So one, his statement was wrong, as only one Eagle was from Detroit, and two, he couldn't even be bothered to name him, and three, the exchange suggested that perhaps neither of them were even aware Glenn had died.

Clarkson has form on this issue. He wrote about Detroit music in one of his books & listed Henley as being from Detroit. One episode of Top Gear had Alice Cooper as a guest & he was the one who mentioned Glenn by name, not Clarkson.

I suppose none of this matters but quite honestly, even if people knew where the grave is (if there is a grave) I don't think there would be a stampede towards it.
    Last edited by Freypower; 01-14-2017 at 06:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    For a start it is a private matter & regardless, I find the idea that someone would be buried under a name they never used to be quite bizarre. Using this logic, when Pope Francis dies his tomb should read 'Jorge Bergoglio'.

The fact is we don't know & we will never know, and to me that suggests cremation.

An example of Glenn's lack of name recognition. This is a British example & probably won't mean much to most Americans.

On the latest episode of The Grand Tour (the Amazon Prime successor to Top Gear) they were in Nashville & Jeremy Clarkson decided to be provocative & state that America's best music came from Detroit, not Nashville. He gave a list of names to which Richard Hammond responded negatively (Hammond plays what I feel is a cringeworthy role as an Americanophile). 'Half of the Eagles' Clarkson said, to which Hammond replied 'I don't like that half'.

So one, his statement was wrong, as only one Eagle was from Detroit, and two, he couldn't even be bothered to name him, and three, the exchange suggested that perhaps neither of them were even aware Glenn had died.

Clarkson has form on this issue. He wrote about Detroit music in one of his books & listed Henley as being from Detroit. One episode of Top Gear had Alice Cooper as a guest & he was the one who mentioned Glenn by name, not Clarkson.

I suppose none of this matters but quite honestly, even if people knew where the grave is (if there is a grave) I don't think there would be a stampede towards it.

Blimey, I was only contributing to a thread and suggesting a reason why we dont know if he is buried in Rowland heights or not. Not sure what the "British" rant is about or what Jeremy Clarkson has to do with the matter but if you doubt my credentials as a Glenn Frey/Eagles fan, i have been his house in L.A. recently and ive been to the venue where the Hotel California album cover picture was taken. I would now like to visit Glenns grave to pay my respects if there is such a site.

It was just my thoughts and opinion. Like arseholes, everyone has one!