Page 90 of 129 FirstFirst ... 4080868788899091929394100 ... LastLast

Thread: Remembering Glenn Frey

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Remembering Glenn Frey

Here's a video in which JD talks of Glenn, among others and then sings a song he wrote with Glenn. At first, I thought it was one that had alrady been posted, but I don't remember JD singing "Last in Love".
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqqIQKGdGVo

Yesterday was the one anniversary of Glenn's memorial service. I read that a little part of Don's speech from the memorial service was in the KCH souvenir book.

I wish we saw pictures from the memorial service, but I understand Cindy probably wanted it private and among friends and family.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Yep - we just wrapped up what I will always think of as 'Glenn Frey tribute week. Just to recap last year, it kicked off on Saturday, 2/13 with a pre-Grammy salute and tribute to Glenn at the Troubadour, then the remaining Eagles paid tribute at the Grammy show on Monday, 2/15. Glenn's memorial service at the LA Forum was on Tuesday, 2/16 and the week wrapped up with the unveiling ceremony of Glenn Frey Drive in Royal Oak, MI on Thursday, 2/18, which occurred on the one month anniversary of his passing. The world misses you, Glenn.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

This comes from a recent interview with JD Souther:
    Glenn and I rarely saw each other after the 80’s. There was no animosity. Our lives had simply moved into different orbits and eventually into different cities.
    Remember though, Glenn was my first songwriting partner, roommate, and best friend when we were just starting out in Hollywood, so I loved him and will always miss him.
    His death was untimely, far too young, but just look at the rich musical highway he and Don Henley cut into the American musical landscape. And look at the music that has followed that road map through the last nearly half century. Pretty impressive.
    http://www.artistsandbands.org/ver2/...ay-band-eagles

It leaves me wondering who Glenn was still close with towards the end. Perhaps between family, Eagles business and his illnesses, he just didn't have much time for catching up with friends.

Stuck on the Border

He was working on the musical with Robert Wuhl with whom he had appeared in Arli$$. I got the impression the two of them were close.

Out on the Border

I'm not able to link it but Glenn was included in the In Memoriam segment at last night's 2017 Brit Awards. The video is on YouTube.

Stuck on the Border

More from Timothy:
    I ask Schmit his abiding memories of Frey. “Glenn was everything,” he replies. “He had a very big personality that encompassed a wide spectrum of moods.

“He wasn’t afraid to show those moods at any moment and my obvious best memories are of his Pooh Bear side. He could be quite lovely. I used to introduce him on stage as ‘The man with a thousand jokes’.

“He would do these great belly laughs and he could be hilarious. He knew he affected people in all kinds of ways.”

Schmit reveals the darker side to Frey with a telling moment from the band’s final tour, The History Of The Eagles, which ended in July 2015.
    “We all got pretty perceptive about reading his moods,” he says. “One time on that long tour we were going home for a ten-day break. We were flying home privately from the East Coast and by the time we got in, we were tired beyond belief.

“Glenn made sure he got his things to get off first because he really wanted to go.
    “He was at the front of the plane and before he goes down the steps, he turns round and says, ‘Enjoy your time without me’.
    “He said that to be funny but it was really true. He was quite a character.”
    source

Quote Originally Posted by priscillaupstate View Post
    I'm not able to link it but Glenn was included in the In Memoriam segment at last night's 2017 Brit Awards. The video is on YouTube.
    Thanks for the heads-up, Priscillaupstate. And much appreciation to the Brit Awards for remembering Glenn. His part starts at the 1:16 mark.

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VsQLbOPeVgs[/ame]
    Last edited by Delilah; 02-24-2017 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Brit or Brits? Going with the former.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Out on the Border

Thanks Delilah!

Stuck on the Border

I was looking for something on the video thread and ended up listening to Glenn's beer commercial track which got me thinking of Susan Hamilton and her description of the making of that track. And that led me to wondering if she had anything further to say. She's on facebook and last year she posted the entire chapter. If you haven't read it already, what are you waiting for?

Here's her Facebook introduction:
    When I learned of Glenn Frey's passing, I was devastated. Posted a short tribute of course, but now, I would like to say more. Because Glenn was not only a phenomenal talent, he was also a remarkable, funny and sensitive human being… and I just want to make sure all of you know it...
    https://www.facebook.com/susan.hamil...06486642755389

I can't find her earlier short tribute (I'm somewhat Facebook-challenged).