Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Somebody

Stuck on the Border tbs fanatic's Avatar

Default Somebody

Okay, who besides me thinks 'Somebody' is rocking? OMG - I have played it a million times. Glenn's voice is super great on it.

The first time I heard this I was was like "Hmm, I don't know about that." I expected Glenn's "rocker voice" like he uses in "Heartache Tonight," and I didn't get it. But the more I play it, the more I like it. It does totally rock, and the relentless rhythm of it really evokes that sense of an unstoppable race towards impending doom, despite the best efforts of the guy in the song to avoid it.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border EasyFeeling's Avatar

Meeeeeee. I loved it from the first note and that's what I want to hear from Glenn, a rocking and danceable song which puts me into good mood in no time. Every time I hear it I press the + button to hear it louder.

Hearing the mixed reviews on this one I expected it would have to grow on me. It didn't need any growing time. lol I liked it the first time through. I can picture Glenn having an absolute blast singing it.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I loved it the first time I heard it! I couldn't believe it was Glenn at first, but by the 2nd play I knew for sure. It was stuck in my head most of the night last night!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke
    I loved it the first time I heard it! I couldn't believe it was Glenn at first, but by the 2nd play I knew for sure.
    I didn't like how Glenn modulated his voice at first, which was why at first I was like "what's he doing?!" But after multiple plays on Halloween I got really into it. I figure, when a song can sustain multiple plays, it's a good song. One thing he really seems to be able to do is make his voice sound really different. The smooth richness of his ballad voice, the rough wildness of his rocker voice, and now this "spooky voice." At the shows in Niagara, he pretending to be an announcer at first, and as well as I know his voice, I didn't recognize his "announcer voice" until I saw him doing off-stage to the side, with a big smile and the spotlight hit him to reveal his "secret"! Pretty cool.

Stuck on the Border tbs fanatic's Avatar

I'd love to see this done live - woohoo! It was a great Halloween song - with the tombstone and the crow LOL!

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Hmmm. 2 songs now that mention crows! This one and Waiting in the Weeds (biding time with crows and sparrows)!

It seems to me Glenn is doing a lot of different stuff with his voice and he never sounded better!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

I think Glenn sounds wonderful on this song although I wish someone would tell him that it's 'an icy chill' not 'a icy chill'. He does that from time to time, sings 'a' instead of 'an' and it annoys me. This is one of the songs I keep forgetting about, that I am still getting to know. It would have been nice if there were some 'social comment' involved.

This song has so much energy that it would be great live! I'd also like to hear if he does the vocal modulation live or sings it straight up.