Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Discussion about Glenn Frey's conditions

Out on the Border

Default Re: Discussion about Glenn Frey's conditions

I was wondering - doesn't he have twin daughters who are high school aged? I would think they would be the ones most hurt by this.

Quote Originally Posted by alreadygone View Post
    I was wondering - doesn't he have twin daughters who are high school aged? I would think they would be the ones most hurt by this.
    Who has twin daughters?????????

Out on the Border

for some reason I thought Frey had twin daughters - maybe I'm wrong.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by alreadygone View Post
    for some reason I thought Frey had twin daughters - maybe I'm wrong.
    He had one daughter & two sons.

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    He had one daughter & two sons.
    ok my bad

It's still very shocking, but knowing what he had, it doesn't surprise me. Autoimmune disorders are brutal on the body. Infections of any sort can kill you. But it seems we are losing a lot of prominent singers as of late, and that's very sad. I suppose we are at the age where this will be happening more and more. Still shocking and sad.

So Put Me On A Highway And Show Me A Sign
    And Take It To The Limit One More Time..............

Sorry to revive this thread but somenthing came to me the other day and I just couldn't find the place to post it.
    What Irving said about these commercials are true. All of these drugs have 3-2 seconds of postive info then all of these horrible side effects. I think that the drugs played a part in his passing. Because maybe if the drugs did not have the immuno supression thrn he could have been able to recover. But I am extreamly gratefull he was able to this last tour even though I missed out on seeing them when I could have.

A few years ago I got Mono and it was horrible. I was living on Popsicles for two weeks because my tonsils were so swollen. I am on several medications for ADHD and BI Polar so when I had mono I could only take one of them because I could not have just went Cold Turkey on it. But I could have went to the hospital if I still took the meds. I could not work out because of the swelling in my gall blader. It was two months before I could function normally again.

These drugs do bery bad things. I wish there was other treatments out there.

Thank You Glenn for your music you gave us.

Quote Originally Posted by travlnman2 View Post
    Sorry to revive this thread but somenthing came to me the other day and I just couldn't find the place to post it.
    What Irving said about these commercials are true. All of these drugs have 3-2 seconds of postive info then all of these horrible side effects. I think that the drugs played a part in his passing. Because maybe if the drugs did not have the immuno supression thrn he could have been able to recover. But I am extreamly gratefull he was able to this last tour even though I missed out on seeing them when I could have.

A few years ago I got Mono and it was horrible. I was living on Popsicles for two weeks because my tonsils were so swollen. I am on several medications for ADHD and BI Polar so when I had mono I could only take one of them because I could not have just went Cold Turkey on it. But I could have went to the hospital if I still took the meds. I could not work out because of the swelling in my gall blader. It was two months before I could function normally again.

These drugs do bery bad things. I wish there was other treatments out there.

Thank You Glenn for your music you gave us.
    Hang In there TravlnMan2. It's tough to be on all kinds of medication. Side Effects sometimes make you want to quit everything. Keep On Rockin.

So Put Me On A Highway And Show Me A Sign
    And Take It To The Limit One More Time..............

Border Desperado

Just wanted to shed some light on this issue as an RN and as someone who deals with the complications of Lupus and Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia on a daily basis.

Can drugs like Enbrel and others in that category used to treat rheumatoid arthritis cause severe immunosuppression and other serious and or fatal side effects? Absolutely. However, many other drugs can often do the same, not necessarily always by immunosuppression, but by other mechanisms. They are just not on TV.

I am by far not a huge proponent of Big Pharma, but blaming Glenn's death on a medication he was on for 15 years and very likely regularly followed by a rheumatologist does not entirely make sense.

IMO, had Glenn not been treated for his RA many years ago, there would have been no way he would have been able to play to guitar, be able to endure the many hours of standing and sitting touring requires of you and would have been forced into retirement.

Perhaps this would have been a good thing. Who knows? Maybe a combo of the treatments and a less rigorous touring schedule may have improved his health as constant traveling as we age causes our immunity to drop even more. No one can say for sure.

But when I read things like Azoff suggesting that Glenn's RA treatment led to , "ulcer and colitis" ( he sounds like a buffoon as the term is ulcerative colitis), I wince as one of the treatments for ulcerative colitis is practically the same as for RA. Had he really been so deeply concerned for Glenn, he would have told him to take a break from touring a reevaluate with his healthcare team.

Personally, I beg my rheumatologist to place me on Enbrel because the joint pain and quality of life sucks and I am only 44 with a 10 year old. Because I have a chronic form of leukemia which is now at Stage 0 and could kill me next month or when I am 90, he refuses. He is considering a less powerful med, Methotrexate. Not sure if Glenn was on that one as that has been around awhile.

My point is, and I finally got my husband to understand, if I could have just 2 or 3 months of feeling half as good as I did before all this stuff( particularly joint pain and dislocations) started I would live my life to the fullest, not just for me, but for my husband, daughter, and parents. If it was the end of my rope at the end of those few months, then I would take that any day over living months in pain and suffering.

Not sure if that's how Glenn felt, but if he did, I hear you loud and clear brother. Thank you for everything and may you soar high.

P.S. This is just my opinion and apologies in advance if anyone feels like I offended them.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Thanks for your post, VG. My oldest sister has RA and Lupus, so I sort of understand what you are saying.

As far as Glenn - we don't really know what his treatment was since he was diagnosed with RA, but I would have to agree with you that without medication, he would probably have never been able to keep up with the rigorous demands of touring. At least, they afforded him the opportunity to do what he loved doing. Whether or not they contributed to his untimely death, I can't say or not, but, it is certainly possible.

Anyway, I wish you the best and hope you do what's best for you. I guess that's all any of us really have any control over during our time on this earth.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016