Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Discussion about Glenn Frey's conditions

Stuck on the Border Witchy Woman's Avatar

Default Re: anyone see it coming?

He was in a coma for 2 months and no one said anything. David Bowie had cancer for over a year, and everyone was shocked when he died. Of course Glenn dying was unexpected and devastating. But they are entitled to their privacy, and I can't blame the family for not wanting to broadcast it everywhere. Who wants a camera shoved in their face when they are dealing with a loved one's illness ? Celebrities don't get enough respect in that regard, which is a shame, because I couldn't care less what Kim Kardashian ate for breakfast.

Stuck on the Border

In fact he had announced he was sick because they had to postpone the Kennedy Centre Honours.

He had rheumatoid arthritis which is a serious auto immune disease & unfortunately pneumonia is a common cause of death.

I suggest these posts be moved to the Condition thread.

On my leatherette looking through pictures...

I knew he had surgery a couple of decades back that took out a decent chunk of his intestines. When I heard he was sick again and needed to undergo further surgery on the intestines, I wondered what more they could do for what remained before realizing that he was probably approaching the end. That fact really blew me away.

His death wasn't ultimately a big surprise to me, though it was a major shock, and I'm still having a hard time dealing with it even now, almost one month later.

Out on the Border

Default Re: Discussion about Glenn Frey's conditions

kind of sounds familiar with what happened to my grandfather in the 90s. They were roughly the same age and he had pulmonary fibrosis. He was able to function with it and it probably wouldn't have been too big a deal. Then he got pneumonia, which, with a weakened immune system, degenerated to the point he was on a respirator pretty quickly He was in a coma for two weeks before they called it quits and took him off LS.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

I know how bad pneumonia can be. My dad was in a severe accident a few years before I was born. It took him a year to recover. He had pneumonia several times during that year, and he came very close to dying at least a few times, if not more. Somehow, he survived, but he had to have his spleen and part of his pancreas removed. He managed lived a normal life for 13 years, and then in Dec. 2006, he got prancreatitus (sp?). Despite not having his spleen to help him fight the sickness, it looked like my dad would recover. Then, he got pneumonia, and about 10 days later, that did him in at the age of 49.

Pneumonia, by itself, isn't too bad. I've seen my mom get it twice and survive. It's pneumonia with a weakened immune system, and other problems that is dangerous.

Pneumonia also took out my maternal grandfather in 2013, alongside congestive heart failure.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

So sad, I along with everyone else was shocked and saddened by Glenn's death , and the death of my beloved Starman .
    I do understand the need for secrecy, poor Freddie Mercury was hounded to death when word got out he was dying from Aids and look how much more invasive press is nowadays , with Internet and cell phone cameras etc.
    These may be public figures that we love and more or less feel that we know, but they are also just people like you and I with families and people who love them and deserve some privacy with their loved ones when their remaining time becomes so very precious .We, as fans have already had much of that time ...
    I'm happy that Glenn and Bowie were able to avoid being hounded by press and photographed in the privacy of their own homes, hospitals etc, All those years ago, they actually photographed poor Freddie through his bedroom windows ,and camped outside his home harassing his friends and loved ones who came to visit him,
    They deserve to spend their last days in peace ....JMO

I have Crohn's. Its cousin is UC. I have to have chemical therapy infusions every 5 weeks. Soon to be every 4 because it is not lasting long enough. I get about 3 and 1/2 good weeks.

I have to have blood work and they take my temp before every infusion because it basically strips my immune system each time. A simple cold at infusion could land me in the hospital.

As far as removing parts of the intestine-my GI doc won't just take the infected part out because it will come back and attach itself to another part. I have begged him. There is a lot of intestine they can remove but if you keep taking and taking eventually there is none left to take.

I can only imagine the pain and horrid last couple months. My heart breaks

Border Desperado

I am sorry to hear of your condition SadCafe and can empathize to an extent. Although I don't have Chrone's or UC, I have other autoimmune diseases, Lupus and Sjorgen's, as well as Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia. So I am in a Catch 22. My immune system attacks itself and is overactive, but no rheumatologist or oncologist will dare to put me on any long term immunosuppressive drugs like you or Glenn were taking because of the Leukemia issue. It sucks, but I take it day by day.

I hope that you will improve in time. I have friends that have actually managed to do quite well after some time with Chrone's and I will pray that is the case for you

How Glenn managed to keep such a busy schedule while being on all those immunosuppressive agents and most likely in quite a bit of pain in beyond me. May he finally be at peace.

Out on the Border

My husband has similar medical problems that Glenn suffered with and has been on very similar medications (or at least those reported).
    Glenn was obviously made of tough stuff - like my husband is. He is currently on a new medication that is working wonders for his arthritis and we are slowly weaning him off the nasty meds that cause all of the side effects.
    I send all my best wishes to anyone that is suffering. I understand how difficult it is to function as you would like to.

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Information about Glenn Frey's conditions

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    Agree, Dreamer - this guy has so many inaccuracies and basic facts wrong, I can't credit the article. What is this about uncontrolled bleeding during surgery?? Who does this guy know?

I do believe that the medications Glenn took allowed him to perform for the HOTE doc and tour, and for that I am grateful. The drugs may have led to his death, but they may have prolonged his life, so I'm not going to second guess.

I have to say that the fact that Glenn died is still surreal to me, I'm not really processing it.
    I'm trying to focus now on your statement about the drugs prolonging his life rather than the other part. I find the other part very hard to take in.