Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Discussion about Glenn Frey's conditions

Default Re: Discussion about Glenn Frey's conditions

We were heading home from a shopping trip. To pass the time I pulled out my phone and opened Facebook. Soda's post was the first thing I saw. I remember muttering, "What? Oh my God!", and telling Hubby. The second thing I read stated that it might be a hoax, but within minutes I knew it was true. I had been away from The Border for 2-3 years and yet knew immediately that this is where I needed to come for comfort and to pay my condolences.

Because I had not been on the board recently, I didn't know that Glenn was hospitalized. Maybe nobody here knew either. I vaguely remembered hearing last fall that he was receiving treatment for his illness, but he had been doing that for years. It sounds strange, but I was comforted when I read that his family and friends knew a month before he passed that he was not going to make it. At least they had some time to prepare.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I still can't imagine how they kept it all so quiet. Tons of people had to know.

I had been gone on a shopping trip that day. I went online when I got home to check Fb and saw a notice on the side bar. I figured it was a hoax. Then I got a text from my daughter that linked to a news story. I couldn't believe it. I tried to get here and the site had crashed, so I knew it must be true. I immediately checked other news sites and came to the terrible realization. I knew all about his health issues, but how could he die? He was way too young and vital of a man to succumb to anything like this. Wrong.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

I was off of work for Dr. Martin Luther King birthday. I don't know what I was doing at that moment. I think I was listening to David Bowie's music at that moment and reading a book on my Kindle on my computer. Then I notice I saw a post on one of the groups about Glenn might had died. I thought it was a very sick joke since their were a lot of post going around saying this actor or that actor had died and later it turned out to be a hoax. So I didn't want to believe it until I had more proof.

I looked on the side of my facebook newsfeed to see if it was trending. Nothing came up. I think the first article I saw about Glenn's (at the moment not knowing if it was true) possible death was TMZ. We know they was tabloid like show. So I didn't want to believe it just yet until I saw more news articles. Then I saw the joint statement from Glenn's family and the guys and I knew it was true. I also came here to see if anybody else knew. I couldn't get on the board since it crashed.

I screamed a little saying, "Not another entertainer! Not Glenn!" as I started to cry. I was upset because we already had 3 people died a week before Glenn and I was not happy that a guy I admired and enjoy his and the guys music for so many years had died.

Nobody else picked up on the story that Glenn died just yet. I think TMZ was the first and I think when the news media saw the statement from Glenn's family and the guys, they started to report the news of his death. I don't remembered if the statement came out before TMZ posted the news or after. All I know nobody else had said anything at that moment.

Thank goodness I wasn't at work or my mother wasn't home yet when I got the news. I didn't want them to think I was crazy. They would had thought why are you upset about a person you've never met or who don't know you. I just didn't want to deal with that from nobody.

I just saw it on a non Eagles fan forum. What many of you are describing as premonitions is what happened with my grandmother when she had alzhimers. About two months before her death I had a dream about her funeral. The weekend before she died I knew something was not right it just felt strange. I did not know what it was but it felt weird. My father was acting increasingly agitated so i had to be careful talking around him. I went to bed that sunday night thinking it was nothing but at 4:00 in the morning we got the call that my grandmother passed away. I did not cry at first but then I processed the news and broke down. I hate premonitions.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their personal stories. I can't remember where I was or what I was doing when I first heard the dreadful news that Glenn Frey just 67 years young had died.

Something I do remember with great clarity is how disappointed I was to learn in early November that the Eagles wouldn't be able to participate in the Kennedy Center Honors which was just 4 weeks away. I was so looking forward to the tribute by their peers performing a selection of their work to the delight of the audience, their legion of fans at home and of course, the Eagles themselves.

"He must really need to have surgery" I remember thinking to myself in response to the timing and projected "lengthy" recovery period which I imagined he'd be able to complete over the holidays and New Year in the comfort of his own home

While only the doctors, staff, close family and his inner circle of trusted friends could know precisely when he took that fateful turn "for the worse" I know the power of premonition, intuition, dreams and am quite sure those who experienced such insight and awareness dearly wish Glenn had been able to turn things around and prove them wrong. Sadly it wasn't to be.

Glenn is gone but oh my - how lucky he was to live his dream and in doing so leave behind a legacy to inspire others to live theirs.
    Last edited by Dawn; 04-06-2016 at 02:33 PM.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

i had been visiting an uncle in the house where my mother grew up. I never knew it until that night but the townland that the house was on was called 'Royal Oak'. I was thrilled with this connection with Glenn and went to post it in the 'Little Things' thread, but I couldn't get onto the Border. My internet hadn't been great and the Border had been difficult to load the past few days so I decided to wait until the next day when I could do it during a free class at work.
    About 30 mins later Soda whatsapped me the awful news. My hands were shaking as I went online but I never thought it was a hoax. In my heart I knew immediately that it was true. It was after 10pm that night, hubby was working and the kids were kinda heading towards bed, so I mechanically did the things I usually doe for them, but I barely slept that night. I felt like I hda been kicked hard in the stomach
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

I was in my room and was either writing in my journal or reading (I just remember I was holding a book) and my parents and brother were watching the evening news downstairs and suddenly I heard my Mom gasp and my brother go "Oh man." I suddenly knew someone died and it was big, so I went to the landing and called down asking what happened and my Mom answered back "Glenn Frey from the Eagles died." Like I said before I had no idea he was sick and I just stood there almost in shock for a few moments before I went downstairs. They ended up finding articles about it and we were all just stunned. I went back in my room and after writing about it in my journal I turned on my radio to my classic rock station and they were playing Glenn's solo songs & Eagles songs and I still couldn't believe it. I was ok till they played "Desperado" and then I just balled. I finally got online and started seeing all the posts from my family, friends, and celebs who were fans and made my own to post. My family ended up playing Glenn's music that night and we just talked about how much they meant to us as a family. But the thing that got me the most was my brother's FB post where he posted a vid of the Eagles singing "Take it Easy" from a recent performance and he wrote "RIP Glenn Frey. Lost a legend today. Take it Easy man." I posted before how we used to sing TIE during family road trips since we were toddlers and my brother and I always used to sing together in the backseat to it. Just brought back so many memories.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

I went to bed relatively early on the night of 18th January (I think it was between 10:30-10:45 PM, at least half an hour earlier than usual) as I had an exam the following day. There were a few days between this paper and the previous one so I had been able to come home and as the exam was in the afternoon I was at home and would be driven up on the morning of the paper. I often check the internet shortly before going to sleep but on this occasion I did not as I wanted to keep myself fresh ahead of the 'big day'.

I woke up the following morning and to be honest the thing I was thinking about most was the paper. However, at the breakfast table that morning I was given a shock when my Dad suddenly mentioned that my sister (who was also at home) had read something on social media the previous night saying that Eagles guitarist Glenn Frey had died at the age of 67. I was stunned and in a sense of disbelief. My parents asked me if I knew he was ill and said, truthfully, that I knew he had been in hospital but did not think it was that severe. I then checked the internet just to be sure and got my confirmation on the BBC News page. I was very sad and immediately thought of everyone on The Border. As planned, I then went back to university to take the exam paper that afternoon. I am rarely especially talkative on the morning of exams but even more so on that morning, I really didn't want to speak unless spoken to but to borrow the lyric from MOUAS, 'still I had to go on'. On the drive the radio was on and there was a lot of stuff about Glenn. I heard YBTTC on the radio and also a clip of Glenn talking about The Beach Boys followed by Don't Worry Baby, one of his favourite BB songs. It was nice to hear people paying tribute to him, but it was still very hard to accept.

Taking the paper felt very strange. I tried hard to concentrate and was able to answer most of the questions fine but could not stop thinking in the back of my mind about Glenn and the Eagles and Somebody and Already Gone were playing in my head. When I got my results a few weeks later, I did quite well in the exam and it was a relief to me as my mind felt so different from usual. I then went back to my place and with no papers for a couple more days didn't do any more work that day. I listened to the Eagles and a few other songs about accepting loss (the first two songs I listened to were My Man and Bob Dylan's Knockin' On Heaven's Door) and spent virtually the whole evening reading everyone's posts on The Border and reading just about every tribute to Glenn I could find.

I didn't get any premonitions, although I must admit after Alan Rickman died I did worry 'who would be next?'. I never thought it would be Glenn.

I don't listen to Motorhead, so I can't honestly say Lemmy's death moved me on a personal level. I respect David Bowie (I was very shocked when he died as he'd just released his new album), and was quite sad about Rickman (I was never much of a Harry Potter fan, but I thought his performance as Snape was the best of anyone in the films), but none of these deaths moved me nearly as much as Glenn's passing. I had never before experienced the death of a musician who meant as much to me, and the other deaths which have moved me to a similar extent have tended to be in my personal life or in sport (I am always very sad when racing drivers like Jules Bianchi or Justin Wilson succumb to injuries sustained in crashes).

Stuck on the Border

I knew he was hospitalised but I hadn't been thinking about it. I presumed that when he recovered he would start to make appearances as he always did.

On Tuesday January 19 I was dowloading the two 'Target' songs in preparation for the Cass County Survivor which was due to start that week. About 8.45 am I noticed the Border wasn't loading. I thought nothing of it & rang my mother because I had to talk to her about our plans for Australia Day.

When I finished the Border still wasn't loading so I went to Facebook & immediately saw the Eagles' announcement, with that beautiful photo staring at me which for some inexplicable reason I had never seen. It was like it had been saved for this purpose.

Though I have been through a lot, making signature banners and so on, I still have not cried & it now appears that I won't, because perhaps my disbelief is still too ingrained.

I still believe a great deal of the media coverage has been inadequate & I am saddened that the memorial service was kept so quiet. I don't know what to say about the other members of the Eagles. I thought they may have been more forthcoming. I feel that it would have helped me if they had shared more of their thoughts - Henley relased a brief statement, Walsh sang a song we know nothing about, and Schmit has been silent. The Grammy tribute didn't work. Then there was Felder....

And then Henley & Walsh decided to start touring again.

As far as the 'turn for the worse' Bob Seger stated it was about 'a month ago' that the doctors had to 'throw up their hands' i.e. mid December. That hurt too. It all hurts.

Border Desperado

Hubby and I were off work for the MLK holiday. He was checking his phone for news and mail and casually said, "Oh, some guy from the Eagles just died." (Obviously he does not share my obsession with all things Eagles.) He didn't give me the name, but I knew in my heart that it was Glenn. I was just stunned. After getting the details, I immediately texted my brother who does share my obsession. We spent some time reminiscing about Glenn, the Eagles, and the various shows we've seen.

Even though I knew of Glenn's recent health problems, and that he had surgery planned, I never for once thought he would die. Years ago I went to a Don Henley benefit where Glenn was supposed to appear. He was unable to attend because he was hospitalized. They had a short video feed from his hospital bed where he kicked off an Eagles song. I sorta figured this hospital stay would be like that one. He'd get patched up and then go back to his very busy life.

Since Glenn's passing, my sense of emptiness has been constant. Fortuntely I don't have to explain the feeling to follow Borders.