Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Discussion about Glenn Frey's conditions

Out on the Border

Default Re: Discussion about Glenn Frey's conditions

As I mentioned previously I was walking my dogs and listening to the radio when the DJ announced there was breaking news from the USA that a member of the Eagles had died. I immediately thought it had to be Joe Walsh (not sure why but his name came straight to my mind). When they cut to a news correspondant from New York and they announced it was in fact Glenn I was in disbelief.
    Thank you everyone for the comfort I receive by just being on these forums and reading everyone's stories and sharing the feelings we are all experiencing.

Quote Originally Posted by jane02 View Post
    As I mentioned previously I was walking my dogs and listening to the radio when the DJ announced there was breaking news from the USA that a member of the Eagles had died. I immediately thought it had to be Joe Walsh (not sure why but his name came straight to my mind). When they cut to a news correspondant from New York and they announced it was in fact Glenn I was in disbelief.
    Thank you everyone for the comfort I receive by just being on these forums and reading everyone's stories and sharing the feelings we are all experiencing.
    I also came to this forum with the hope of meeting people to talk to and about the Eagles especially Glenn Frey whose passing was nothing short of shocking (this may be why I had to be reminded it was thru a text message I first heard the God awful news).

Nearly 3 months later it still feels surreal and now the tragic death of Randy Meisner's wife - it's like a landslide.

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    I also came to this forum with the hope of meeting people to talk to and about the Eagles especially Glenn Frey whose passing was nothing short of shocking (this may be why I had to be reminded it was thru a text message I first heard the God awful news).

Nearly 3 months later it still feels surreal and now the tragic death of Randy Meisner's wife - it's like a landslide.
    I am still in mourning as well Dawn. I am so glad to have found this forum with like minded people. Its been a saviour for me. My friends liked the Eagles and were sad by Glenn's passing at the time but they have all moved on. I have not got to that point as yet and not sure I ever will. As a teenager in the 70's, Glenn was my first idol, the first poster I had on my wall and he's remained number one for me since then.

On my leatherette looking through pictures...

I was going on a walk down the hill I live atop around a quarter after 5 that afternoon. It was really cold outside and I was going barefoot, as is my tried and true tendency. My mother sent me a text asking if I'd heard about Glenn Frey. I had not, but I knew instantly what had happened, as I'd known he'd been very sick of late.

Leaning against a tree, I Google searched his name and the first thing I saw was a tweet from NBC Nightly News announcing "Eagles founder Glenn Frey dies at age 67 in New York City." It took the wind right out of me. I remember walking down and up in the frigid air, ruminating on the news which had just broken. I was totally numb in absorbing it all. After I got back, I informed my father, who had owned '71-'75 on 8-track and "Hotel California" and "Long Run" on cassette back in the day. Of all of the rock deaths this year, this one has been the most surreal for both of us.

With the lights out(except for the setting sun coming through the window), I sat in my room and listened to the Atlanta-area rock station as they played "Peaceful, Easy Feeling," "Already Gone," "Desperado," "Seven Bridges Road," and the HFO live version of "Hotel California." It was like attending a memorial service, except far sadder than any I've attended in nearly 15 years.
    All carrot, no stick.

"He's just another power junkie, just another silk scarf monkey. You'd know it if you saw his stuff. The man just isn't big enough."--Glenn Frey/Don Henley

"You think you know me, but you haven't got a clue."--John Lennon/Paul McCartney

Border Desperado

Jane, I could be your twin! Glenn and the Eagles have always been a part of my life and I don't want that to change. My brother always teased me, saying that I only liked Glenn because of his looks. Admittedly that was probably the initial reason I was drawn to him, , but over the years it's gone way beyond that. Moving on will be very difficult.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

I'm glad that the border is helping everyone to try to make sense out of this very sad time. Thats what we are here for and we welcome any words and experiences that can help each other. I was telling a friend yesterday about my impending trip to Detroit and she said 'its like you're going to the funeral you never had'. That just summed it up from someone who totally understood.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Out on the Border

I am new to this group. I remember thinking something must be wrong because after they announced the postponement of the Kennedy Center honors, there was no news, no updates. Had thought it was his diverticulitis again, never thought it was so much more serious. I opened Facebook that day and saw the announcement with his picture, heartbreaking words. I have been a fan since I was 7. Loved his music, his voice. Always thought he could sing eloquently and graciously what we felt, and that voice just tugged at my heart. I will never get over this.

Quote Originally Posted by #1glennfan View Post
    I am new to this group. I remember thinking something must be wrong because after they announced the postponement of the Kennedy Center honors, there was no news, no updates. Had thought it was his diverticulitis again, never thought it was so much more serious. I opened Facebook that day and saw the announcement with his picture, heartbreaking words. I have been a fan since I was 7. Loved his music, his voice. Always thought he could sing eloquently and graciously what we felt, and that voice just tugged at my heart. I will never get over this.
    Welcome, #1gf! There are many of us that will ever get over this ( no pun intended ).

Out on the Border

I go on twitter a lot and whenever I see a famous name on the "trending" I kind of wonder if (if they're a boomer or older) if they're dead. Like I saw something that was "trending" about David Gilmour recently and I was like "has another one bitten the dust"? Apparently, he had done some orchestra version of one of the PF songs. When I saw GF's name on the trending on twitter this January - I sort of thought this might be happening simply based on math - if you have seven random people, one of them will probably die before 70 and since it was rare to have a rock band (especially when you consider drug use and what not) have all its members (let alone 7) alive past a certain age, eventually statistics kick in. Look at all the other bands who lost members before 70

Doors - Morrison at 27
    Stones - Jones at 27
    Zeppelin - Bonham at 32
    Who - Moon at 32, Entwistle at 57
    Beatles - Lennon at 40, Harrison at 58
    Floyd - Wright at 65
    Chicago - Kath at 32

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Quote Originally Posted by #1glennfan View Post
    I don't think any one of us every really truly will #1glennfan. To many of us he was as close to us and as part of our lives as any family member and he will always stay that way for me. A part of me died with him and thats the way it will always be. Welcome to the Border!!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP