Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Would you be ok with the Eagles continuing without Glenn

Default Would you be ok with the Eagles continuing without Glenn

Look, crazier things have happened. Queen which arguably had the best voice in rock history continued performing after Freddy Mercurys death. Other bands have continued...others stopped.

Would you be ok with the Eagles continuing to tour under the name Eagles without glenn? What if they subbed him with Jackson Browne which would possibly be the only plausible substitute (not that JB would accept but Ive seen stranger things).

If that were to happen, could there be a chance that a Jackson Browne could even inject new life (new music) into the Eagles? Ill admit I always wondered why JB was never an Eagle and I would at the very least be curious. I actually enjoyed seening him playing with the band at Grammy Cerimony.

Default Re: Would you be ok with the Eagles continuing without Glenn

IMO, I simply can't envision the guys seeing their way clear to continue without Glenn. Eagles was his baby, his brainchild, and try as I may to picture someone else filling the void, there isn't a single person I can think of who could step in to fill out the roster. Add to that the times we've heard Glenn and Don state that their harmonies weren't an accident, that their sound was the result of their unique voices blending together, they would be hard-pressed to find anyone who comes close to Glenn. As much as I would love to see them continue, as much as I want to hear them again, I simply don't see a future version of them, at least not billed as "Eagles".

I also think about the fact the Glenn was the youngest of the four, and while he had long-term health issues that the others didn't (other than Timothy's cancer issue, that we know of), I think they're all confronting their own mortality and seriously reassessing what is truly most important to them, that being their families.

Those things being said, I'm hoping that in the coming months we'll be blessed with a fitting memorial to Glenn by the guys (as Irving eluded to when Glenn passed) that will include the likes of Jackson, JD, Jack Tempchin and many others and that it will be televised. Their performance at last night's Grammys was wonderful but their demeanor clearing showed that they are still processing their loss and not ready.
    You were just too busy being FABULOUS....

Victim of Love

If they can go on, that's what we're looking for. But I think in recent years Don and Timothy's voice became hoarse, perhaps they sing not long, may they will choose not to continue (of course, this is not what we want to see)Although continue is a good thing,everyone has their own style, Jackson has his style. He can't replace Glenn, to tell the truth I feel since Queen has found a new lead singer, their taste has changed,maybe Jackson will replace Glenn onstage, but real Eagles has come to an end.
    Eaglesfan From China!

Stuck on the Border Outlawman13's Avatar

In my opinion, I think the Eagles are done! No one can replace Glenn! I can't envision Don going on without Glenn!!

You came along and changed my life Glenn!!

JD Souther has stated that it would be "sac religious" for the Eagles to continue without Glenn. I agree.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

No. It's pretty much been alluded to that the Eagles are done. I don't think the guys would want to nor would Jackson. There are no Eagles without Glenn.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

No they are done. But have you guys ever heard of the Rossington Collins band? After the 1977 plane crash when three members of Lynyrd Skynyrd were killed including Ronnie Van Zant. Members Allen Collins and Gary Rossington went on for a little bit ine a new band with a few new members and a female singer. So I guess the guys can do something like that new faces new music new identy with the tribute to Glenn at the end of a show.

Edited I am also quite sad this is the end because I will never get to see them live. They came to my area twice but I was busy with other engagments.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Yeah - I concur with what most everyone else has written. As someone who went to see the Eagles fairly often whenever they toured, I will miss them and all of those adventures so very much. But, I would never go see the Eagles as a touring act in the future. It was gut-wrenching for me last night seeing them on stage without Glenn. Quite honestly, it seems to me that this question has been asked and answered so many times already that I don't even understand why it even keeps coming up. I guess it's possible that they could change their minds, but I would be stunned if that ever happened.

Having said that, I would probably attend any public tributes, memorials, or special events that the remaining band members choose to be a part of. I will also continue to see them solo any opportunity I get.

But, in a nutshell, the answer to the question for me is a huge, resounding ...

NO!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

No. The Eagles was Glenn's band. He was the leader, the heart and soul. There is no Eagles without both Glenn and Don in the band.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

I wouldn't want to be the one to tell Don Henley he can't go out and play Eagles songs with Timothy and Joe. I guess if they want to do that, they'll have to come up with some dumb name, like some Eagles tribute band.