Page 18 of 33 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: Remaining Eagles honor Glenn Frey at the Grammy Awards

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Remaining Eagles to honor Glenn Frey at the Grammy Awards

I've just watched it and I think Jackson Browne was great. I'm always amazed that anyone is able to sing under such circumstances but he managed it with only one hesitation. It seemed like the audience was with them. The only thing that would have made it right for fans was if Glenn had walked out to join them. It's not getting much media coverage but it was a group of old men, dressed black, on a black stage singing an old song. It was understated and well-executed. A fitting tribute.

The Guardian live blogger called it "really endearing" and that seems an appropriate.

Border Rebel

I don't know, but I think they probably didn't want introductions and talk. I'm not sure they could have gotten through it - it seems they barely got through the song, especially Jackson and Don. Plus, they obviously don't buy into the whole Grammy hoopla thing. It's my guess that they just wanted to keep it simple and straightforward, but obviously, I could be wrong.

It makes me really angry that people are ranking on Jackson. To me, the fact that he flubbed it a little just shows that he's human and that he cares about Glenn's death.

It may be me, but I didn't think you could hear Don's harmony as much as usual. It's normally so strong in the background. Timothy sounded great, but I don't think it quite made up for it. Or maybe they just wanted a quieter version. Not sure.

And it just seemed so sad without Glenn.

That picture of Don someone posted is heart breaking. He really looks devastated.

Quote Originally Posted by maryc2130 View Post
    I don't know, but I think they probably didn't want introductions and talk. I'm not sure they could have gotten through it - it seems they barely got through the song, especially Jackson and Don. Plus, they obviously don't buy into the whole Grammy hoopla thing. It's my guess that they just wanted to keep it simple and straightforward, but obviously, I could be wrong.

It makes me really angry that people are ranking on Jackson. To me, the fact that he flubbed it a little just shows that he's human and that he cares about Glenn's death.

It may be me, but I didn't think you could hear Don's harmony as much as usual. It's normally so strong in the background. Timothy sounded great, but I don't think it quite made up for it. Or maybe they just wanted a quieter version. Not sure.

And it just seemed so sad without Glenn.

That picture of Don someone posted is heart breaking. He really looks devastated.
    You weren't the only one, Maryc. I couldn't hear Don's harmonies either. You could always hear Don's voice when he's harmonizing with Glenn. You couldn't here. It was like his mike was very low. Timothy's vocals stood out on the standing on the corner lines, but than again. You would always hear either Randy or Timothy's vocals very poignant in those lines since they are singing along with Glenn on that part. It was just something about that time that it was a little off.

I can see why the guys wouldn't want to talk; if that's the case, one can't blame them. They did their best.

I still think cutting off the person who was giving an acceptance speech to slam over into a video clip of Glenn without preamble was awkwardly abrupt. However, I guess I should try to focus more on the positive and say that I appreciate them doing this for Glenn and the fans.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I do appreciate Don, Glenn, Joe, Timothy, Bernie and Jackson for doing this for us. It was very emotional and sad seeing them doing this performance. I hope this is not the last time we see them together. Last night really wasn't a good closure and I hope we do get a better closure. I hope they still do the KCH later this year. I think they will.

I pray that Don and Joe get through the TJ Mantell Foundation gala event at the end of this month. I wonder what they will say about Glenn then.

Stuck on the Border

This is the best clip I could find as it includes the video intro and the bows at the end.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtKBcFQlF3I

Someone (possibly the remaining band members and Azoff) made the decision that the most appropriate person to introduce the tribute was Glenn himself and I'm not going to argue with that. I see the abrupt cutting off the speech and the start of the video as a technical flub. Unfortunate, but the kind of thing that happens in live shows. I feel sorry for whoever it was that only got to say "Thank you..."

https://www.yahoo.com/music/2016-gra...075735788.html

I'm sure many of you have seen this but wanted to put the link here. The guys were handed their Grammy for Hotel California lastnight but it wasn't part of the event shown on camera. Outrageous under the circumstances!

As for the lack of intro and any comments prior to their performance, there should have been something more than the video clip of Glenn before the guys sang. There appeared to be some obvious technical flubs beginning with someone's acceptance speech being cut off. But when you consider that it's was just four weeks ago that we lost Glenn and that the Grammy production team had to juggle things to include the guys, I'm sure it was a challenge. The guys all struggled - it was apparent - and I can't help but wonder if they took the professional high road by appearing last night, doing so out of respect to Glenn and the fans while not yet being emotionally prepared. The photo of them taking their bow spoke volumes about their sadness over their loss.

And those folks who are criticizing Jackson Browne for his small error obviously don't know the history of Glenn and Jackson, nor do they comprehend that he wasn't there to replace Glenn, but to honor him.

A month after Glenn's passing I didn't think my heart could break anymore over our loss, but watching the guys last night shattered it to pieces.
    Last edited by Victim of Love; 02-16-2016 at 09:41 AM.
    You were just too busy being FABULOUS....

Victim of Love

So what if JB messed up a few words....i prefer rock that way, unpredictable. Mistakes are ok in rock. Not to mention the circumstances.

Who knows what it was like backstage with some 20something rushing Don and gang to get ready, maybe Don suddenly realized the superficiality of it all. Or maybe we are projecting our feelings onto Don. Ill have to rewatch (good ole dvrs) to see if the whole Don was angry thing really stands or if it was just Do n being Don.

(Just rewatched...think JB did a fine job, he could have always been an Eagle...and i dunno about the 'Don being miserable' , i think he was just being Don...hes not a smiley kind of guy as it is. He was probably being somber and respectful of Glenn, but not sure the miserable stands)
    Last edited by OutlawManNJ; 02-16-2016 at 09:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ktdids View Post
    Probably the wrong place to say this, but this is an awards show right? Who won what? In 10 years will I remember any of them?
    Sadly the Grammys have DEvolved over the past 10-15 years from an evening to honor truly great performers into the circus that was on last night. I haven't watched it in ages because it has become such a joke (and ONLY turned it on last night to see Glenn's tribute). They could have omitted at least 60 minutes of the crap they did last night and instead presented an artistic, classy, tasteful show. What I saw by and large was nothing but a bunch of flash in pan people who have NO talent. We WON'T remember them in ten years because, for the most part, they make no lasting contributions with few exceptions. Just my opinion.
    You were just too busy being FABULOUS....

Victim of Love

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by OutlawManNJ View Post
    (Just rewatched...think JB did a fine job, he could have always been an Eagle...and i dunno about the 'Don being miserable' , i think he was just being Don...hes not a smiley kind of guy as it is. He was probably being somber and respectful of Glenn, but not sure the miserable stands)

Well, I didn't say he looked miserable, if anything I thought he looked angry probably because he's a perfectionist and the whole intro mess would have really annoyed him....and no, I didn't hear any harmonies from him either but maybe he felt Timothy and Jackson's voice suited each other better.

And JB was entitled to fluff his lines. How many people have broken down when trying to eulogize a loved one?
    ...Well it sure makes you wonder the things that some people will say. They can see black and white but they don't seem to notice the grey...