Page 30 of 33 FirstFirst ... 202627282930313233 LastLast

Thread: Remaining Eagles honor Glenn Frey at the Grammy Awards

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Remaining Eagles to honor Glenn Frey at the Grammy Awards

The first thing I noticed was that the guitar introduction to Take It Easy was weaker than before. Maybe it's because there was no 12-string. Maybe it's because there were two people strumming an acoustic so they can't be completely in sync. Although I like to think that no one can strum the intro with the same kind of authority, determination and precision as Glenn.

I have to say that when Jackson made a lyrical error, it meant nothing to me. Those things happen even in happier circumstances. And it's basically his song. Lots of people have picked on it (not here, but elsewhere), but it's so easy these days to write anything that comes to mind for everyone to see. I'm sure most of them will realize sooner or later that it's a non-issue.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I've rewatched the performance several times and have a few more thoughts after letting it 'sink in' for a few days. As has been discussed here, I think the biggest problem I had with it was the technical production and the rough transition we saw. I wonder if these problems were as noticable to the live audience?

It seems to me that it would have made all the difference in the world if there had been a commercial break or long pause before launching right into Glenn's video in mid-sentence. I also think the segment on Irving by Anna Kendrick that followed the performance should have preceded it. Then she could have made a smoother segue into the video.

And then there is the video itself. I actually liked the idea of the video - to me it suggested that Glenn needed no introduction and it was the band's way of letting him have the final word. However, it was very poorly executed to say the least. As many here have commented, it seems an odd choice to have Glenn speak of how fun it was to sing harmonies. There were so many other great clips that could have been used, but I would have thought that Irving, the band members, and/or Glenn's family selected that particular one. I was thinking that many people may not even know what he was talking about from what the way it was shown on TV. Did the video begin in mid-sentence live or did that happen just for the TV audience? If a longer segment of the clip was used, it may have provided more context and made a bit more sense.

And, this has nothing to do with the technical production, but I was surprise to see Steuart on the stage too. I noticed he did not come back on stage and take a bow.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Border Rebel

And, this has nothing to do with the technical production, but I was surprise to see Stueart on the stage too. I noticed he did not come back on stage and take a bow.[/QUOTE]

I, too, was surprised to see Steuart and honestly, I don't think he was necessary at all. Joe could've played the electric rhythm part that Steuart played while Jackson handled the acoustic. It was strange that he was there considering no other backing band member was.

Stuck on the Border

Maybe he was there for the vocal harmonies.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Yep UTW. Bigger guitar sounds and stronger harmonies. If not Steuart, who?

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

I've been thinking that maybe Stueart wanted to play, to honor Glenn. While he's technically not an Eagle, he has been a vital member of the backing band for almost 15 years.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    Yep UTW. Bigger guitar sounds and stronger harmonies. If not Steuart, who?
    I like the three electirc guitar version the best

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by scottside View Post

I, too, was surprised to see Steuart and honestly, I don't think he was necessary at all. Joe could've played the electric rhythm part that Steuart played while Jackson handled the acoustic. It was strange that he was there considering no other backing band member was.
    Steuart played some of Bernie's parts, and Bernie was there. Joe playing an acoustic was fine IMO, but I don't get why they needed Steuart since Bernie was there. Maybe they did want him for the harmonies. Makes more sense to me. It's not that it bothers me that he was there.
    Last edited by chaim; 02-18-2016 at 04:28 PM.

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    I've rewatched the performance several times...I think the biggest problem I had with it was the technical production and the rough transition we saw. I wonder if these problems were as noticable to the live audience?
    It seems to me that it would have made all the difference in the world if there had been a commercial break or long pause before launching right into Glenn's video in mid-sentence. I also think the segment on Irving by Anna Kendrick that followed the performance should have preceded it. Then she could have made a smoother segue into the video.
    ......However, it was very poorly executed to say the least. As many here have commented, it seems an odd choice to have Glenn speak of how fun it was to sing harmonies. There were so many other great clips that could have been used, .....Did the video begin in mid-sentence live or did that happen just for the TV audience? If a longer segment of the clip was used, it may have provided more context and made a bit more sense.
    I agree with this wholeheartedly. The director of the show should have allowed a pause after the previous winners were finished (cut off actually)... I think also the start with Glenn speaking was great idea now that I've seen it a few times and perhaps know it's coming...Anyway, yes, given the lack of a break and some background sounds in audience/speaker being cut off/people gasping (in surprise at Glenn or the songwriter being cut off?), it seemed to come in mid-sentence. I was reminded earlier in thread that Glenn's spoken intro clip was from Farewell I Melbourne concert and I watched that interview yesterday. They probably went to that DVD because I'm thinking the Eagles own the rights and that didn't require a long process of securing permission to use. Something from Tavis Smiley recent interview with a lot of great quotes or HOTE ala "People did things to the Eagles..." might require permission from PBS, show producers OR Showtime, the documentary directors, etc. Anyway, on that video, there's another great statement where Glenn talks about how great it is to play those great songs on stage. You're in the darkness but you're aware of the fans all around you and the place is sold out. Pardon that I didn't transcribe the quote. I'll def get it tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    I've rewatched the performance several times and have a few more thoughts after letting it 'sink in' for a few days. As has been discussed here, I think the biggest problem I had with it was the technical production and the rough transition we saw. I wonder if these problems were as noticable to the live audience?

And then there is the video itself. I actually liked the idea of the video - to me it suggested that Glenn needed no introduction and it was the band's way of letting him have the final word. However, it was very poorly executed to say the least. As many here have commented, it seems an odd choice to have Glenn speak of how fun it was to sing harmonies. There were so many other great clips that could have been used, but I would have thought that Irving, the band members, and/or Glenn's family selected that particular one. I was thinking that many people may not even know what he was talking about from what the way it was shown on TV. Did the video begin in mid-sentence live or did that happen just for the TV audience? If a longer segment of the clip was used, it may have provided more context and made a bit more sense.

And, this has nothing to do with the technical production, but I was surprise to see Steuart on the stage too. I noticed he did not come back on stage and take a bow.
    I've noticed with awards show because the producers are so hell bent on staying on schedule and the acceptance speeches usually go over they lose seconds in areas of transition like what we saw with the Glenn clip. Ed Sheeran's cowriter was about to make her acceptance speech but they cut her out to go to the Glenn clip. That was probably what we heard where you could not hear the beginning of the Glenn clip. Overall I thought it was good and very emotional for everyone involved. Personally I would have had the picture of Glenn showing throughout the whole song but I guess the producers or the band wanted that done for effect.