Page 17 of 33 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: Remaining Eagles honor Glenn Frey at the Grammy Awards

Default Re: Remaining Eagles to honor Glenn Frey at the Grammy Awards

Absolutely, Soda. I certainly wouldn't have been able to hold it together. I admire them so deeply for being able to get up there and do that.
    ~ Tori
    https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/downloads/images/henley24.jpg

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Trying to catch up on this topic. My uncle has no internet service and I have very little cell phone reception there, so I couldn't chime in until I got home.

I echo everyone who said that it was rushed. When the video of Glenn from F1 came on, my uncle and I flew to grab the remote and hit record. I could see the pain in the guys' faces. Don and Jackson looked the most pained. Given all of the circumstances, I think that they did a good job. I loved seeing Bernie play the solo. Seeing Jackson up there felt a bit odd. All throughout the song, I kept hearing Glenn's voice singing in my head. When they showed the picture, I lost it. It really hit me then. He truly is gone. I do fault the Grammys for not being more put together.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Stuck on the Border Witchy Woman's Avatar

I have little to no interest in what is considered music these days, so I very rarely watch the Grammys, unless someone I like is on. Naturally, I wanted to see Jackson and the boys. I was also interested in seeing Lady GaGa pay tribute to David Bowie.

I am very disappointed in how they presented Glenn's tribute. No one came out and introduced them, or said anything in honor of Glenn. It was half assed and stupid to just throw him up on the screen like that. I'm sure there were some folks who had no idea who he was, or what the performance was about. The guys were obviously hurt and emotional, and it broke my heart to see Jackson struggle to keep it together while singing. You could hear the breaks in his voice. Everyone deals with grief differently. Don did look pissed, but that may have been his way of trying not to lose it. It bothers me that this performance may be the first impression someone has of them, when they may not know the circumstances.

I thought the whole show sucked.

It was a beautiful tribute, but I agree on the fact that it wasn’t good that they weren't introduced (or something) and had a little say after the beautiful performance. The music these days isn’t the music as it used to be. It was really heartbreaking to see them perform, you could read the emotions on their faces. It tears me up…
    Last edited by wasl89; 02-16-2016 at 06:21 AM.

"When you got no life to lose. Well, there's nothin' left to gain"

Quote Originally Posted by Witchy Woman View Post
    I am very disappointed in how they presented Glenn's tribute. No one came out and introduced them, or said anything in honor of Glenn. It was half assed and stupid to just throw him up on the screen like that. I'm sure there were some folks who had no idea who he was, or what the performance was about. The guys were obviously hurt and emotional, and it broke my heart to see Jackson struggle to keep it together while singing. You could hear the breaks in his voice. Everyone deals with grief differently. Don did look pissed, but that may have been his way of trying not to lose it. It bothers me that this performance may be the first impression someone has of them, when they may not know the circumstances.
    I totally agree!

"When you got no life to lose. Well, there's nothin' left to gain"

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

I think we may not be giving credit to those in attendance as far their knowledge of Glenn and the Eagles...they are ALL in the music industry, regardless of their age or genre - they know who the Eagles are, they know Glenn Frey died. Just because you don't know who THEY are, assuming ignorance on their part isn't fair. I am going to assume that the entire entertainment industry has seen the HOTE doc - it is on Showtime, Netflix, CNN, had over-the-top stellar reviews, for goodness sake - those in the biz are not ignorant. It has been in every written publication over the past week that they'd be playing TIE at the Grammys. The people in the room knew what was happening, and there is no reason to think that those watching on TV who are fans of music or watch the Grammys didn't know who Glenn was.

Don was probably just angry he had to sit thru all the crappy assclown "artists" that were on before them. Seriously music today, at least what gets played, sucks!

Courtney barnett is a fantastic new artist and she lost to some crappy prepackaged garbage in the new artist category. (Courtney Barnett to me saves rock music today. Her debut album is on every best list and it really is good, youtube her).

Glenn got the minimum treatment from the grammys. They didnt even bother to show old photos of him like they did with Bb king. 3 and a half hours and almost all garbage and they could give Glenn 30 seconds more. Screw them and the music industry.
    Last edited by OutlawManNJ; 02-16-2016 at 04:17 AM.

Border Troubadour

I agree - Don WAS angry!!! Knowing him he was furious that the Grammy's couldn't even give Glenn a proper introduction and then as the song progressed I think it really hit home for him. He didn't sing as much as normal and really hit the hell out of those drums.

We have commercials here but nothing like you guys in the States. I don't know how you watch anything.
    ...Well it sure makes you wonder the things that some people will say. They can see black and white but they don't seem to notice the grey...

I have to agree that the Grammys didn't go out of their way to give Glenn the proper tribute he deserved. There should have been a proper introduction for them. But I do think that most of the audience knew who he was and who the Eagles were....They have gotten a lot of new exposure with the HOTE tour. I am glad that Ed Sheeran finally won his Grammy though!

But Don was definitely angry (or grim determination not to break down) and upset. He needed those drums to get through that song. And I also noticed that he didn't sing as much as he normally does. It looked like it really hit him during the song that Glenn was gone and that's when he really pounded the drums!

The rest of the guys did a great job especially Jackson. I just hope he ignores what those "people" have been saying about him on FB.
    Last edited by L101; 02-16-2016 at 02:12 PM.
    "The more I know, the less I understand...."

Don't crack up, bend your brain, see both sides, throw off your mental chains"

I'm glad I'm not on Facebook. Reading that stuff would just make me angry.

I loved the performance. It must have been so painful and difficult for them, but they did a great job. To me, it looked like they were all in deep concentration, giving it their all to honor their friend. Jackson looked the most pained, and I still can't believe he got through it as well as he did.

Something about the way Don hit the last few notes on the drums, and the look on his face, had such an air of finality about it to me. I know it may be the way he always does it, but it stuck me as so sad and poignant.

I have to think they did not want a spoken intro or outro, or surely there would have been one. The only awkward moment was that they cut off the woman's speech to roll the Glenn clip. that kind of stuff can happen at those shows.

I definitely think they did this for the fans, and I loved it and appreciate it. This, and the Hamilton performance were the only thing I was watching the broadcast for. And I thought they did themselves proud.