Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: did any of them ever hang out with

Out on the Border

Default did any of them ever hang out with

Dennis Wilson of the beach boys? I've read a book about them called "Heroes and Villains" and contrary to there image of a clean-cut all american band, they had some problems after there 1962-1966 run of popularity.

In the 1970s, Dennis was hanging out with all sorts of musicians like Harry Nilson and some of the Fleetwood mac members. Out of all of the beach boys, Dennis was the craziest, even more than Brian. Although Brian had a lot of mental problems (and of all the members his issues are the most well known) they were self contained and usually within the confines of his own home, while Dennis was more like a tornado wreaking havoc to everything around him.

On a side note, one could argue that the LA Sound of the Eagles, Stone Ponys, America etc was sort of the replacement for the pop scene out of LA that died around 1967 (Association, Mamas and the Papas, Beach Boys etc). The beach boys themselves did some music around 1972 (So Tough and Holland albums) where some of the music has that "After the Thrill is Gone" or "I Wish You Peace" sound to it.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Default Re: did any of them ever hang out with

This is all I have to offer re: Eagles and Beach Boys...not sure about Dennis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBdPbXcAROs

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

The Beach Boys harmonies were an influence on Glenn; he spoke about it on the History of the Eagles tour. Brian Wilson's inventive arrangements of four and five-part harmonies inspired him, so there is a musical link between the BB's and the Eagles. Glenn described it as: they were the pioneers and the Eagles were the settlers.

As for a personal link, I wouldn't be surprised if the two bands knew each other in the 70s. For sure they were on the same bill at a huge June 1975 concert at Wembley: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KldSglCoYaU

There was a lot of interplay between the Beach Boys and Chicago and their producer Jim Guercio, who were also very friendly with the Eagles & their manager. Carl and Dennis Wilson, as well as Al Jardine, sing back-up on Chicago's "Wishing You Were Here." Guercio owned Caribou Ranch, where Joe Walsh and the Beach Boys recorded. The Eagles also stayed there on at least one occasion when they were touring in the area, IIRC.

And then later, as you noted, there was a link between members of Fleetwood Mac and the Beach Boys.

Long story short: they ran in the same circles

Glenn mentioned in an "After Hours" interview when he was talking about Caroline No that he had never met Brian Wilson.

There goes my theory! Ah well, Dennis and Carl were more outgoing, maybe they hung out with the Eagles.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Although I can definitely see how Glenn in particular was influenced by the Beach Boys' famous vocal harmonies, I must admit I personally feel the Eagles belong to a slightly different lineage which really goes back more to the Laurel Canyon crowd of the same era. The early Eagles music has more in common with The Byrds and/or Poco than it does with The Beach Boys IMO.

I'd actually say in a weird way that I hear more of The Beach Boys in the Rumours line up of Fleetwood Mac than I do in the Eagles - in a way I think Lindsey Buckingham picked up Brian Wilson's torch, especially on Tusk where Lindsey was all over the production of the album. I can also see how the Mamas and the Papas influenced FM (please correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember reading a story about Lindsey and Stevie meeting when he sung California Dreamin'?), but don't hear any clear influence from them specifically on the Eagles, at least not in any way that couldn't have come from another artist from that time and place. I remember once listening to Rumours and HC back to back and although I absolutely love both albums, my personal perception is there is actually a lot more of the true California Sound in the former than the latter, which has more of a mainstream rock feel. I think it's partly because HC for the most part is a pretty dark record, whereas Rumours has dark lyrics but with mostly relatively 'light' sounding music. Just my money's worth.

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    As for a personal link, I wouldn't be surprised if the two bands knew each other in the 70s. For sure they were on the same bill at a huge June 1975 concert at Wembley: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KldSglCoYaU

There was a lot of interplay between the Beach Boys and Chicago and their producer Jim Guercio, who were also very friendly with the Eagles & their manager. Carl and Dennis Wilson, as well as Al Jardine, sing back-up on Chicago's "Wishing You Were Here." Guercio owned Caribou Ranch, where Joe Walsh and the Beach Boys recorded. The Eagles also stayed there on at least one occasion when they were touring in the area, IIRC.
    Considering how Walsh was also on the Wembley lineup - is that where the rest of the group met him?

Also, speaking of Chicago, Meisner back then looked like Terry Kath. Anyone agree?

I think the Eagles met Walsh thru Irving Azoff who started his career with Walsh back in Ohio. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Walsh and the Eagles were touring together circa 1973, and Walsh recommended his producer Bill Szymzck to the band.
    I'm not real familiar with Terry Kath's appearance but no one could be as beautiful as the young Randy Meisner

EDIT: ok, googled Terry Kath - he was chubby and plain, like a less attractive Steve Miller. Nothing like Randy in appearance.

In this video Glenn mentions the Beach Boys influence. This is around the After Hours time.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxUPNnmk2xA[/ame]
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

There is also the line he used before Caroline, No & later before the revamped Heartache Tonight (which, sadly, I didn't like) about the Beach Boys being pioneers & the Eagles settlers. I know that this view isn't shared by some but all he was saying was that the Beach Boys were really the first AMERICAN band to do such intricate harmonies.