Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: did any of them ever hang out with

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: did any of them ever hang out with

Well you can count me as one who REALLY dislikes "The Beach Boys were pioneers and the Eagles were settlers" line. It comes across to me as Glenn downplaying his and the Eagles' contributions, which he sometimes had a tendancy to do. I appreciate his attempts at humility, but some folks interpreted it as devaluing his band (as evidenced by the 'boos' from the audience whenever he made the statement).

I don't take issue with the fact that The Beach Boys were the first AMERICAN band to do such intricate harmonies and they were pioneers in that respect. But, the Eagles too were pioneers in other ways. They may not have been the first to do country rock or intricate harmonies, but they took them to a level never seen before. To me, the Eagles' main legacy is that they paved the way for so many artists, especially in country music. The country music we hear today is what the Eagles were doing in the early 70's (only most of it is not even half as good). Their enormous influence on this genre is unprecedented and, yes, to me, that makes them pioneers, not settlers.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Oh, I didn't interpret it as Glenn was downplaying the Eagles (or anyone else's) accomplishments. He was just acknowledging his influences, those who came first. Settlers accomplish great things too - they go further than pioneers ever dreamed possible.

BTW, what would we call the generation who comes after the settlers, squatters?

Anyway, I love the Beach Boys and think that Brian is a genius BUT he learned virtually everything he knew about harmony from The Lettermen, which he readily acknowledges.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I understand what you are saying NMB and I also understand the sentiment of what Glenn was trying to convey. However, I don't think that line was an effective way to do it. While I agree The Beach Boys were pioneers, I just personally don't view the Eagles as settlers. JMHO

And as I said above, everytime I ever heard Glenn say that line in live shows, it got a fairly large number of "boos" and "nos", so apparently I'm not alone in my interpretation and dislike of it. All I'm saying is if an entertainer says something that gets a negative reaction from some of their fans, maybe they should consider a better way to communicate it to get their point across.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Oh wow, that's interesting that it got a bad reaction from the crowd. I don't recall Glenn saying it at the first HOTE show I went to in 2013, but in July 2015 most people laughed like it was a clever turn of phrase and there were also some "awwws" like "what a sweet/classy thing to say."

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    I understand what you are saying NMB and I also understand the sentiment of what Glenn was trying to convey. However, I don't think that line was an effective way to do it. While I agree The Beach Boys were pioneers, I just personally don't view the Eagles as settlers. JMHO

And as I said above, everytime I ever heard Glenn say that line in live shows, it got a fairly large number of "boos" and "nos", so apparently I'm not alone in my interpretation and dislike of it. All I'm saying is if an entertainer says something that gets a negative reaction from some of their fans, maybe they should consider a better way to communicate it to get their point across.
    The line wasn't booed at the AH shows in Australia. It also wasn't booed at the HOTE shows in Australia. Again I speak for myself. I agree with NMB - settlers go further & consolidate what pioneers began. For once I don't see it as downplaying the Eagles at all, especially when it isn't referring to country rock but to vocal harmonies.

Out on the Border

my view is not necessarily that the Eagles are that similar to the beach boys musically but rather that they in some ways are the sequel to the beach boys. By that I mean the optimism of the mid-60s gave way to the pessimism of the early 70s and you can sort of see that with the beach boys mostly optimistic and juvenile songs while the eagles tended to have "deeper" sounding music. I mean how else did Southern California go from "California Girls" to "Hotel California" only eleven years later?