Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Frail Grasp On The Big Picture

Stuck on the Border

Nancy, I totally understand your frustration with Don's viewpoints.

When I listen to the lyrics, I'm listening to them from "my viewpoint", and with that being the case, I actually agree with the ideas presented in each of the verses. For instance, the whole God presiding over football games immediately brought to mind the chest thumping, heaven pointing athletes who "praise God" after every good play they make. Then they leave the field and get in trouble for beating up their girlfriend or get tested positive for drugs. It also made me think of NASCAR races. I've been to a few and the beginning of a NASCAR race can sometimes feel like a church rally for 100,000 people (can I have an Amen, people?)

I wasn't aware of Don's remarks about people praying for a safe football game. Well, OK, Don, hope your kid never goes out for tackle football. I throw up a please at the start of one of my kid's games and a big thank you at the end for another safe game -so I guess Mr. Henley and I should avoid that subject should I ever get the opportunity to discuss it with him. I also throw a big thank you to the man upstairs when I get out of the WalMart Supercenter parking lot with my bumpers still attached to my car and when I manage to get my dog outside before she throws up-so I probably abuse the whole prayer thing!

Or, I picture people like my Dad, who had very little education, who could interpret a news broadcast in such an "incorrect" way, that I would leave the room scratching my head and wondering whether or not we watched the same broadcast. I'm not saying that he didn't deserve to have an opinion -I'm saying it often times showed a real lack of understranding or grasp of the issues.

And, if leaving the cap off the toothpaste is the worst thing Don and Glenn can find to bitch about after all the years they've been married -they're lucky!

I guess that's why sometimes I prefer to listen to a song with "my ears" and not worry or try to analyze what the writer may have been thinking or feeling. Either a song speaks to me, or it doesn't -plain and simple. Frail grasp brings pictures to my mind of my own personal life scenes -I like that.

Soda.........i couldn't agree more and that's all I'll say again

Quote Originally Posted by Molly
    Nancy, I totally understand your frustration with Don's viewpoints.

When I listen to the lyrics, I'm listening to them from "my viewpoint", and with that being the case, I actually agree with the ideas presented in each of the verses. For instance, the whole God presiding over football games immediately brought to mind the chest thumping, heaven pointing athletes who "praise God" after every good play they make. Then they leave the field and get in trouble for beating up their girlfriend or get tested positive for drugs. It also made me think of NASCAR races. I've been to a few and the beginning of a NASCAR race can sometimes feel like a church rally for 100,000 people (can I have an Amen, people?)

I wasn't aware of Don's remarks about people praying for a safe football game. Well, OK, Don, hope your kid never goes out for tackle football. I throw up a please at the start of one of my kid's games and a big thank you at the end for another safe game -so I guess Mr. Henley and I should avoid that subject should I ever get the opportunity to discuss it with him. I also throw a big thank you to the man upstairs when I get out of the WalMart Supercenter parking lot with my bumpers still attached to my car and when I manage to get my dog outside before she throws up-so I probably abuse the whole prayer thing!

Or, I picture people like my Dad, who had very little education, who could interpret a news broadcast in such an "incorrect" way, that I would leave the room scratching my head and wondering whether or not we watched the same broadcast. I'm not saying that he didn't deserve to have an opinion -I'm saying it often times showed a real lack of understranding or grasp of the issues.

And, if leaving the cap off the toothpaste is the worst thing Don and Glenn can find to bitch about after all the years they've been married -they're lucky!

I guess that's why sometimes I prefer to listen to a song with "my ears" and not worry or try to analyze what the writer may have been thinking or feeling. Either a song speaks to me, or it doesn't -plain and simple. Frail grasp brings pictures to my mind of my own personal life scenes -I like that.
    Well put, Molly. I understand why the song appeals to you.

I think sometimes I get over-analytical with lyrics, but I can't help it. I've always been that way. Even when I was little, I'd write down lyrics to songs I liked. I remember, when I was seven, I wrote down the lyrics to "The Rainbow Connection" off of the Muppet Movie. My Mom found the paper and got very scared when she read lines like "Have you been half-asleep, and have you heard voices? I've heard them calling my name." She thought it was a diary entry.

I got a talking-to about that. lol

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border EasyFeeling's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EasyFeeling
    I regulary skip this song. This one and Fast Company are my last favourite Don songs on the album.
    LOL! Frail Grasp is the 1st song I tend to listen to! I think it's my favorite on the CD's. Glad there's something there for everyone.
    Funny to see the different opinions on one song.
    I love it to read the detailed descriptions of the songs, for instance a line or about voices. I'm not good on that.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Maleah
    Soda.........i couldn't agree more and that's all I'll say again
    Hmmmm....

lol Something wrong Molly?

I wasn't aware of Don's remarks about people praying for a safe football game. Well, OK, Don, hope your kid never goes out for tackle football. I throw up a please at the start of one of my kid's games and a big thank you at the end for another safe game -so I guess Mr. Henley and I should avoid that subject should I ever get the opportunity to discuss it with him.

I rather suspect he'll change his tune when his son is old enough to play competitive sports. We were involved with peewee football many years ago thru the parochial schools. The year we got a new priest, he came out and asked a blessing for the team at the start of the season. My friend's 4-year-old was watching and said, "Mommy, who's that man over there?" She asked him if he meant Father Bill and he said, "No...the man over there...he looks like Jesus." As the priest was the only man standing "over there" she just told her son, "I don't know. I can't see him." That was the only year out of the four we were involved that there were no major injuries on the team. While Don may scoff, he might want to throw one up there just in case.

I got tired of listening to Henley rant real quick. I fast forward this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Little Sister

I wasn't aware of Don's remarks about people praying for a safe football game. Well, OK, Don, hope your kid never goes out for tackle football. I throw up a please at the start of one of my kid's games and a big thank you at the end for another safe game -so I guess Mr. Henley and I should avoid that subject should I ever get the opportunity to discuss it with him.

I rather suspect he'll change his tune when his son is old enough to play competitive sports. We were involved with peewee football many years ago thru the parochial schools. The year we got a new priest, he came out and asked a blessing for the team at the start of the season. My friend's 4-year-old was watching and said, "Mommy, who's that man over there?" She asked him if he meant Father Bill and he said, "No...the man over there...he looks like Jesus." As the priest was the only man standing "over there" she just told her son, "I don't know. I can't see him." That was the only year out of the four we were involved that there were no major injuries on the team. While Don may scoff, he might want to throw one up there just in case.
    wow.....what a neat story PLS! I got goosebumps when I read it!

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Maleah
    lol Something wrong Molly?
    No, Maleah, nothing at all.