Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Would you be ok with the Eagles continuing without Glenn

Default Re: Would you be ok with the Eagles continuing without Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Yes, and right now Queen is touring with a former reality show contestant as their front man. I wouldn't use them as an exemplar of what the remaining Eagles should aspire to. The Eagles were selling out stadiums right up until the end. There's no way to go but down without Glenn.

Much classier to go the way of the Beatles and just hang it up, and I daresay that's what they'll do. It's not as if they need the money. Even Tim, who very rarely does solo shows, has made enough money over the past 15+ years to set him for life. I think the only reason Irving Azoff was hesitant to come out and say the Eagles were over after Glenn's death was because he didn't want to speak for them.

Judging from what I've seen, you'd be hard-pressed to find hardcores who are "OK with the Eagles continuing without Glenn." Maybe casual fans, but I think even those might not want to shell out top dollar for the Eagles with another singer like Jackson Browne. As talented as Jackson is, he's not an Eagle, and when I heard the other guys harmonizing with him, it sounded completely off. Don't get me wrong - it was fitting he sing the song at the Grammy tribute - but to become Glenn's replacement in the Eagles? No.

Of course, this is all theoretical, so I'm not going to expend a great deal of energy debating it. The odds of this actually happening are slim to none.
    to continue on this point, INXS has tried to have different lead singers and IMO with no success. Even Nirvana knew they were done once Kurt Cobain died.

Hi Everyone

I'm embarrassed to say that this is my first post here in just over 3 years. I just wish that it was under different circumstances.

I never considered that Glenn would leave us so soon. It will take me a while to process his passing. I have not got my head around it yet.

Watching the remaining Eagles with Jackson Browne at the Grammys was strange, to say the least. It finally confirmed in my mind that Glenn is gone, if I had had up until that point any weird doubts.

I cannot envision the band going forth without their principal member. It would be like The Beatles without John Lennon. Based on personal experience, as soon as a band member leaves any band, the dynamic changes. The Eagles themselves were very fortunate to have replaced members successfully in their career, i.e. Timothy for Randy and Joe for Bernie. However, replacing Glenn is not possible. There is no substitute for him. As has been said many times over: he was the reason the Eagles came into existence. And he contributed so much more to the band than just his musical abilities.

Glenn was extraordinary. I am just thankful that I got to see him perform once in my lifetime, and it was one of the most amazing nights of my life. A wonderful musician, singer, leader and person. My life is richer for having been touched by his music and the wonderful person he was. RIP Glenn . RIP Eagles.

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

Welcome back, Mrs. Frey. Well said.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Hello again, MF! I appreciate how so many of those who have been gone a while have been moved to come back to give thoughts about Glenn, even if it's just for a short while (although I hope it's for more).

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Thanks for the kind words, PM and Soda. My thoughts have always been with all of you - life has just been taking over, I'm afraid. I will try and post more often, though. Love you all. xxx

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I'm also glad to have you back, MF. We've missed you. This past month has been a sad one for sure, but like Soda said, it shows how much Glenn was loved when you read the thousands of heartfelt comments that have been posted here. It is my hope that this board will be around for years to come, whether active or not, and be an ongoing source of comfort to Glenn's fans, friends, and maybe even family to see all of the out-pouring of emotions by so many when he passed.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

MF, great to hear from you again! Missed ya! Thanks for your kind thoughts about Glenn.

MT, love your idea! I think that would be really nice.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Welcome back, MF! Nice to hear from you!

Border Desperado SoaringRockyMountainWay's Avatar

I would not be ok with the Eagles going on without Glenn. It just wouldn't be the same. Its not really the Eagles without Glenn. Like HOTE said, the relationship between Don and Glenn was the soul of the band.
    People talking about us they got nothing else to do. When it all comes down we will still come through in the long run.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Frey View Post
    Hi Everyone

I'm embarrassed to say that this is my first post here in just over 3 years. I just wish that it was under different circumstances.

I never considered that Glenn would leave us so soon. It will take me a while to process his passing. I have not got my head around it yet.

Watching the remaining Eagles with Jackson Browne at the Grammys was strange, to say the least. It finally confirmed in my mind that Glenn is gone, if I had had up until that point any weird doubts.

I cannot envision the band going forth without their principal member. It would be like The Beatles without John Lennon. Based on personal experience, as soon as a band member leaves any band, the dynamic changes. The Eagles themselves were very fortunate to have replaced members successfully in their career, i.e. Timothy for Randy and Joe for Bernie. However, replacing Glenn is not possible. There is no substitute for him. As has been said many times over: he was the reason the Eagles came into existence. And he contributed so much more to the band than just his musical abilities.

Glenn was extraordinary. I am just thankful that I got to see him perform once in my lifetime, and it was one of the most amazing nights of my life. A wonderful musician, singer, leader and person. My life is richer for having been touched by his music and the wonderful person he was. RIP Glenn . RIP Eagles.
    It's nice to have you back MF.