Quote Originally Posted by Elizasong View Post
    No Glenn = No Eagles
    Amen.

So to answer the question directly....

NO.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Question Re: Would you be ok with the Eagles continuing without Glenn

They would never continue as the Eagles, but my answer to the actual question is "no, I wouldn't be ok with it".

I'm not referring to OutlawManNJ and other people who are fans enough to have joined this forum, but I think there are a lot of people out there who raise this subject who don't know how much Glenn contributed to the band - also stuff that we don't actually see. Arranging vocal harmonies...It's been said that he was there suggesting parts when his band mates were figuring out their own parts. So Glenn didn't just come up with his own parts. He was overseeing the overall process in many ways - live as well as in the pre-production rehearsals and studio. Although with YES something like that happened when Trevor Rabin took Jon Anderson's place as the "overseer". But YES was a totally different band in the 80's, and they weren't even going to call themselves YES. That came "from the above". And Queen...I don't think they have actually operated as "Queen" in decades. As far as I know it's always "Queen with some singer". There's a difference IMO. Personally I don't care for that - especially when John Deacon isn't there either.
    Last edited by chaim; 02-19-2016 at 06:32 AM.

Default Re: Would you be ok with the Eagles continuing without Glenn

Yes, and right now Queen is touring with a former reality show contestant as their front man. I wouldn't use them as an exemplar of what the remaining Eagles should aspire to. The Eagles were selling out stadiums right up until the end. There's no way to go but down without Glenn.

Much classier to go the way of the Beatles and just hang it up, and I daresay that's what they'll do. It's not as if they need the money. Even Tim, who very rarely does solo shows, has made enough money over the past 15+ years to set him for life. I think the only reason Irving Azoff was hesitant to come out and say the Eagles were over after Glenn's death was because he didn't want to speak for them.

Judging from what I've seen, you'd be hard-pressed to find hardcores who are "OK with the Eagles continuing without Glenn." Maybe casual fans, but I think even those might not want to shell out top dollar for the Eagles with another singer like Jackson Browne. As talented as Jackson is, he's not an Eagle, and when I heard the other guys harmonizing with him, it sounded completely off. Don't get me wrong - it was fitting he sing the song at the Grammy tribute - but to become Glenn's replacement in the Eagles? No.

Of course, this is all theoretical, so I'm not going to expend a great deal of energy debating it. The odds of this actually happening are slim to none.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

I'm another who thinks that the band shouldn't continue without Glenn. The more I think about it, the more impossible it is to imagine them performing without him. There are far too many important songs that would have to be sung by someone else or ignored entirely, and that is looking at it from a simplistic and purely practical level.

While I can definitely understand the comparison with The Beatles, I feel Led Zeppelin is a better parallel as the band ended after the death of John Bonham. I think part of the reason why Plant refuses to reunite the band for love or money is that he wouldn't truly consider it to be Zeppelin without Bonham (who he had been friends with before they'd even joined the band). They quite even though he was not as important to Zep as Glenn was to the Eagles - Bonham was a fantastic drummer, but he didn't write songs, sing lead, do arrangements or talk to the audience during shows.

Another 'avoid' scenario to me is The Beach Boys, where Mike Love hired disparate musicians and in some cases non-musicians in place of the Wilson brothers who I consider to be the true heart and soul of the band. I sincerely hope that we never see a band like that under the 'Eagles' name.

The only thing that slightly tempers it for me is that I never got to see the Eagles live, but even then, I know it would simply not be the same without Glenn. I have resolved to try and make sure I can see Don and/or Joe if the chance arises (hope so!).

Border Rebel

No. Especially after the performance at the Grammys. It just didn't seem right at all without Glenn, But even before then, my answer would have been no.

Maybe if they were 20-30 years younger, I would hope that they would reform under another name with an additional member or two, but these guys are so close to retirement now. And the Eagles without Glenn? A resounding NO!

NO! IMO, the Eagles died along with Glenn on 18 January. Sorry if that sounds so harsh, but I don't know how to put it any other way. Too depressing to think about it.
    "You thought you would be satisfied, but you never will learn to be still."

Banned

Would I be ok with the Eagles continuing without Glenn?

Of Course, I'd be delighted!

I've been a Walsh fan for 40 years and an Eagles fan for 36, buying all their records and attending many concerts, both band and solo. I'm not going to abandon them now.

I don't know if they will continue or not. They've gone through a number of considered line-up changes over time, while remaining super successful.
    They've still got Irving to mobilize them. Although Don has said that he'd be fine with the Eagles stopping after the HOTE tour, he may wish to have a band career as well as a solo career.

Would they miss playing the sold out arenas they've been playing since HFO?

Publicly Glenn did say to the fans "If you keep paying, we'll keep playing" and he told Bernie before the final encore of the last Eagles concert that "this is not the end"

I'm not sure if the Eagles would continue without Glenn's blessing. He may have encouraged or discouraged his band mates to carrying on without him before he died.

Either way I'm looking forward to future projects from Joe, Don and Tim, Bernie and Randy too, in the future. If they work together, I'd be especially happy.

I totally agree with Soda....it was completely appropriate for JB to perform with them and sing lead on the Grammys since they co-wrote the song and were actually friends. In addition, he played an integral role in teaching Glenn how to write. Just think about all the wonderful songs Glenn gave us as a result! But, JB could never replace the smoothness of Glenn's voice nor do I really think he would want to. He has always been a solo artist with his own style. In my opinion, I think the sorrow remains for so many fans because we know in our hearts that it's the end of an era. I don't think the guys would even consider it without Glenn. It was always his dream brought to life when he met Don with the support of Linda R. They are all set financially and losing Glenn has reminded them what's truly important. They should spend their time enjoying life with their families and friends! HOWEVER, I remain hopeful that they will have some form of tribute performance for the fans whether it's a special DVD or maybe special concert(s) strategically located such as West coast, East coast and South (Atlanta). After the Grammy performance and the tribute at the Troubadour, I've wondered WHO could even attempt to sing with them. So, just think about this....a combined showcase. It could include the people who helped write some of the hits, and they could share tidbits about the thoughts and writing process they shared with Glenn for each song such as JB, Tempchin, JD, etc. They could use some of the artists from the Common Threads cd since it sounded great and played such a huge role in getting them back together especially the video. That cd contained the majority of their hits and many of the artists shared an actual connection with Glenn like Travis Tritt and Vince Gill. Most of all, the only thing that could make it PERFECT would be to have his son play an integral part of the performance! I wonder if his voice has the same tone or suited for some of Glenn's solo stuff? Speaking for myself, I would pay an embarrassing amount of money for the tickets/travel to share in a once-in-a-lifetime moment especially knowing this would likely be their final performance. I know they aren't concerned about the fans and certainly don't need the money. I just think it may be nice for his family, band mates, friends and the MEDIA to see how much he is truly loved and missed. Not only would it gives his fans a way to share their grief and gain some form of closure, it would be a testament to the world he does matter and that HIS MUSIC WILL LIVE ON through the fans! Every time I listen at work, in my car or watch a DVD, it will be like he is still with us which will make me smile as I sing along! MusicForAllTime❣

That sounds interesting, MT. I just want something, ANYTHING, I can participate in!

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by Momma Tee View Post
    I totally agree with Soda....it was completely appropriate for JB to perform with them and sing lead on the Grammys since they co-wrote the song and were actually friends. In addition, he played an integral role in teaching Glenn how to write. Just think about all the wonderful songs Glenn gave us as a result! But, JB could never replace the smoothness of Glenn's voice nor do I really think he would want to. He has always been a solo artist with his own style. In my opinion, I think the sorrow remains for so many fans because we know in our hearts that it's the end of an era. I don't think the guys would even consider it without Glenn. It was always his dream brought to life when he met Don with the support of Linda R. They are all set financially and losing Glenn has reminded them what's truly important. They should spend their time enjoying life with their families and friends! HOWEVER, I remain hopeful that they will have some form of tribute performance for the fans whether it's a special DVD or maybe special concert(s) strategically located such as West coast, East coast and South (Atlanta). After the Grammy performance and the tribute at the Troubadour, I've wondered WHO could even attempt to sing with them. So, just think about this....a combined showcase. It could include the people who helped write some of the hits, and they could share tidbits about the thoughts and writing process they shared with Glenn for each song such as JB, Tempchin, JD, etc. They could use some of the artists from the Common Threads cd since it sounded great and played such a huge role in getting them back together especially the video. That cd contained the majority of their hits and many of the artists shared an actual connection with Glenn like Travis Tritt and Vince Gill. Most of all, the only thing that could make it PERFECT would be to have his son play an integral part of the performance! I wonder if his voice has the same tone or suited for some of Glenn's solo stuff? Speaking for myself, I would pay an embarrassing amount of money for the tickets/travel to share in a once-in-a-lifetime moment especially knowing this would likely be their final performance. I know they aren't concerned about the fans and certainly don't need the money. I just think it may be nice for his family, band mates, friends and the MEDIA to see how much he is truly loved and missed. Not only would it gives his fans a way to share their grief and gain some form of closure, it would be a testament to the world he does matter and that HIS MUSIC WILL LIVE ON through the fans! Every time I listen at work, in my car or watch a DVD, it will be like he is still with us which will make me smile as I sing along! MusicForAllTime❣
    MT - Once again, I totally agree with you. You have a beautiful way of stating things that are what many of us are thinking.

And I especially hope that Deacon will be a part of any other tributes or shows done in Glenn's memory. I've seen him perform with Glenn on a couple of occasions when he was quite a bit younger and he has a lot of talent. I know it would be a lot of pressure on him to try to fill his father's shoes and he may not even be interested in pursuing a musical career, but, as I said, I sure hope he will participate in future tributes to some extent.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016