Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Old Black

Default Re: Old Black

Yes. The black Les Paul Jr. guitar.

I bet it will stay in the family OR go to the RNRHOF. I'm actually hoping it stays in the family and will be used.

It's a great guitar with a lot of history and Jackson Browne owned it previously but couldn't keep it in tune so he sold it to Glenn and Glenn had new tuners put on it (they are silver and metal buttons, the originals on the Juniors were plastic nylon) and had a tuneomatic bridge and stopbar tailpiece (instead of the wraptail it came with) installed for tuning stability and then he could use it live. He also had a neck dogear P-90 pickup added as originally it came with only one dogear P-90 pickup in the bridge for more sonic versatility.

Simply put, it's very iconic and I think it should stay in the family.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

I think it should stay in the family IF that is what the family wants.

However if it became part of a museum somewhere it would be appreciated.

In our town they are doing a Guitars of the World exhibit and Joe Walsh has sent one of his special guitars and it has garnered a lot of attention.

I would be cool with either.

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    I bet it will stay in the family OR go to the RNRHOF. I'm actually hoping it stays in the family and will be used.

It's a great guitar with a lot of history and Jackson Browne owned it previously but couldn't keep it in tune so he sold it to Glenn and Glenn had new tuners put on it (they are silver and metal buttons, the originals on the Juniors were plastic nylon) and had a tuneomatic bridge and stopbar tailpiece (instead of the wraptail it came with) installed for tuning stability and then he could use it live. He also had a neck dogear P-90 pickup added as originally it came with only one dogear P-90 pickup in the bridge for more sonic versatility.

SO bascially Glenn got the guitar remade to his ability and probably nobody else in the world has this guitar, but Glenn.

I had asked if this is the same guitar he had since the 70s or he got a replicate later in life like musicians do. I guess when the company wants to have a custom guitar name after them like Joe having his old guitar name after him and special things as part of that guitar.
    Last edited by shunlvswx; 02-19-2016 at 11:33 AM.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post

I didn't know Jackson had owned it before Glenn! Thanks for the info, Austin!

I agree, it should stay in the family.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Yeah. I heard the story about Jackson Browne giving it to Glenn. Makes me think of when Joe gave Jimmy Paige one of his guitars which became his signature guitar like Glenn has. Old Black is his signature guitar.

Stuck on the Border

Shun, Glenn asked Takamine to make a guitar based on his favourite 20 year old acoustic and they made that his signature guitar. You should be able to read about it on their website. Rickenbacker also did a GF signature guitar and bass.
    Last edited by UndertheWire; 02-19-2016 at 12:42 PM. Reason: spelling

I knew about the Takamine guitar. I wonder if they still sell those. I think I saw in a picture(I think Glenn had one of the guitars) had Glenn's name inside of the guitar.
    Last edited by shunlvswx; 02-20-2016 at 12:36 AM.

I was watching HOTE this afternoon and I notice Glenn was playing Old Black in the clip where he and Don are playing in Linda's band. So he either got that guitar from Jackson between 1970 or 1971.
    Last edited by shunlvswx; 02-20-2016 at 12:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shunlvswx View Post
    Yeah. I heard the story about Jackson Browne giving it to Glenn. Makes me think of when Joe gave Jimmy Paige one of his guitars which became his signature guitar like Glenn has. Old Black is his signature guitar.
    Yes we can thank Joe for that lovely guitar sound on Zep IV. The first record and some of the 2nd were mostly done with his "Dragon" Telecaster or other instruments. But stuff like Black Dog, Misty Mountain Hop, etc and forward that's the LP he got from Joe.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."