Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your Favorite Glenn Frey Vocal?

Stuck on the Border Witchy Woman's Avatar

Default Re: What is your Favorite Glenn Frey Vocal?

Most definitely New Kid In Town. Followed by 'Ol 55.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post
    I'm talking strictly his singing voice and how much you enjoy it in the context of the song.

My favorite is Peaceful Easy Feeling.

I've enjoyed Glenn's vocals on this song from the first time I heard it on the radio back in the 70's. His voice is very mellow and intimate sounding from the beginning. It really reflects the vibe of the song. Then, in the second verse, his voice gets stronger as harmonizing vocals join in, only to calm back down during the "on the ground" part.

I believe strongly that it's Glenn's vocals on this song that make it such a visual song. Yes, the lyrics are great, but it's that mellow vibe that convinces you that he wants to sleep with you in the desert tonight, and he knows that you won't let him down.
    Pm, you took the words right out of my mouth! I love Glenn's vocals on this song! Soft, sweet, sexy! I believe him for sure!
    Love Take It Easy too, but it's altogether a different vibe.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

These "pick a favorite" exercises are soooo difficult for me! Each new one that comes on the board makes me think, "Oh, yeah! That one, too!" It's so hard for me to pick a favorite amongst all these songs that I've loved for so long! But I've already answered with the very fun "Heartache Tonight," so I won't try to cheat and throw in "Ol' 55," too, because that just wouldn't be right.

Or "New Kid In Town."

Or....wait, what?

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

This one is so hard for me too as I love so many of the songs he sang lead on and his solo songs. Like I've said before I was drawn to his voice since I was probably a toddler and at times it was comforting to me. I totally agree about "Peaceful Easy Feeling" and also because as a teenager I struggled heavily with anxiety and depression and that song was one I kept listening to because his voice was so comforting on it (same with George Harrison's "Here Comes the Sun" and various other songs by other musicians) and it helped to calm me.

Then I always loved "New Kid in Town" and how the song sounded and his voice on it. "Lyin Eyes" is another favorite as I love how he tells the story,which as a writer I picture a lot of my story ideas to music first and that's a good example of a story already built in the song. Plus, I just love the way his voice sounded at the end when he says "Honey, you can't hide your lyin eyes." LOL "Tequila Sunrise" is a great vocal too, and of course "Take it Easy". Also, "Already Gone" took on new meaning for me once I guy I liked turned out to be dating another girl at the same time he was letting me think he was single and when I found out I was done with him, so that got a lot of play at the time. LOL

With his solo songs "You Belong to the City" was my personal fav as I love New York and that song just fits with that city to me as well as some historical people from there that I've studied about. Then I love his "After Hours" album as his voice is just amazing on it.

Stuck on the Border

There are so many vocals, nudging me, and softly saying, "What about me?" I'm tempted by the MTV second night vocal on Peaceful Easy Feeling, but it has to be "Here's to Life".

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Yeah - for me, there is no way I can pick just one song or probably even ten. As others said, as soon as I would try to pick one, there are so many others that would be shouting, "but what about me"!

I've always said that one of the things I've always loved so much about Glenn's voice is its versatility. He could sound so pure, tender, and vulnerable at times and then belt out that rugged gruff growl at the other end of the spectrum. Both were equally endearing to my ears.

There was a description that was once said by our own Prettymaid here during a discussion about Don's and Glenn's voices. I'm probably paraphrasing what she said but it was something to the effect that if Don's voice was the 'money' for the band, then Glenn's was the 'heart'. I always thought that was a great analogy or as Glenn would have said 'that about clocks it'. I never forgot that and have stolen PM's description a few times since.

Note: PM, I tried to search for your original quote, but I couldn't find it. Do you have any idea where or when it was?

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    There are so many vocals, nudging me, and softly saying, "What about me?" I'm tempted by the MTV second night vocal on Peaceful Easy Feeling, but it has to be "Here's to Life".
    Here's To Life is up there for me, along with Same Girl, which I know that isn't that popular here, but Glenn knew how I felt about Randy Newman. He knew because in Brisbane he said Randy was his favourite American singer-songwriter. He looked down at me & I nodded. At the Opera House he said the same thing & this time he gestured in my direction as you do when you acknowledge someone. I think that time I clapped a couple of times. Regardless of the lyrical content the vocal absolutely aches. It's so pure & soullful. Anyway...

(NB Randy was at the private memorial service).

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post
    I'm talking strictly his singing voice and how much you enjoy it in the context of the song.

My favorite is Peaceful Easy Feeling.

I've enjoyed Glenn's vocals on this song from the first time I heard it on the radio back in the 70's. His voice is very mellow and intimate sounding from the beginning. It really reflects the vibe of the song. Then, in the second verse, his voice gets stronger as harmonizing vocals join in, only to calm back down during the "on the ground" part.

I believe strongly that it's Glenn's vocals on this song that make it such a visual song. Yes, the lyrics are great, but it's that mellow vibe that convinces you that he wants to sleep with you in the desert tonight, and he knows that you won't let him down.
    YES!! That is just how I feel. You put it into words!

If it's in the context of a song, I love Doolin Dalton, or maye Outlaw Man, in DD he has these great asides in between Don's vocals that are so rugged and electric particularly in concert. He just nailed that western outlaw persona and Ive never heard a vocalist carry such drama and presence to a song. Ofcourse like everyone I struggle to pick one but this one just based on voice is really good. As for solo career if we're splitting up like that I would go for Let's Go Home, the dripping emotion of that falsetto and it sounded so good too closer to the soul music he loved; it reminds me of the stylistics.
    Same Dancers in the Same Old Shoes

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    There was a description that was once said by our own Prettymaid here during a discussion about Don's and Glenn's voices. I'm probably paraphrasing what she said but it was something to the effect that if Don's voice was the 'money' for the band, then Glenn's was the 'heart'. I always thought that was a great analogy or as Glenn would have said 'that about clocks it'. I never forgot that and have stolen PM's description a few times since.

Note: PM, I tried to search for your original quote, but I couldn't find it. Do you have any idea where or when it was?
    Sorry Dreamer, I can't remember what I had for dinner night before last. But if it was me who said it, then I sure am smart.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.