Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ten Song Shuffle Game

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Default The Ten Song Shuffle Game

Here's an idea I've had for a new game based on something I saw on another forum. I think it should be quite good fun. It works in a similar way to the other 'shuffle games' on this board - set your MP3 player or computer (or whatever device you wish to use) on shuffle and list the first ten songs that come up. Once you have your ten songs, indicate your favourite song(s).

The version of the game I came across was straightforward as you simply had to name your favourite song out of ten, but in some cases I found it difficult to select just one song and thus I have given the option to adapt the game slightly. I'll demonstrate with this random shuffle I did fairly recently, the first ten songs were as follows:
    1. Cinnamon Girl - Neil Young
    2. Cirrus Minor - Pink Floyd
    3. Hey Babe - Neil Young
    4. Chasing Cars - Snow Patrol
    5. Train Leaves Here This Morning - Eagles
    6. That Smell - Lynyrd Skynyrd
    7. Such A Woman - Neil Young
    8. Drive Back - Neil Young
    9. Empty Spaces - Pink Floyd
    10. Down To The Waterline - Dire Straits

The first approach - the simplest - involves simply indicating your single choice for favourite track (I've used bold type, but anything will do as long as it is clear).
    3. Hey Babe - Neil Young

The alternative approach, and my own idea, is a 'medals' approach. There are times when I think it is very hard to choose one favourite, yet where I could probably define a top three quite easily and acknowledge the 'podium finishers' in the shuffle, so to speak. I've used different font colours ('gold' = top favourite, 'silver' = second favourite and 'bronze' = third favourite) to indicate my choices, although again I'd say that clear notation of any description is fine.
    3. Hey Babe - Neil Young

Either approach is a perfectly acceptable way of playing, just go with your own preference - if you want to use different approaches for different sets of songs, then that is absolutely fine by me, especially as each shuffle is completely independent of all the others.

There are a lot of possibilities open for this game, I think there should be absolutely nothing to stop you shuffling a specific playlist - you could do all Eagles songs, all songs by another artist, or songs from a particular year, to name just three - as well as general shuffle of all your songs. Also, as it is just ten songs per shuffle, it should be relatively quick to play compared to the more in depth shuffle games on here. This should hopefully be straightforward, If there's anything you don't understand, please feel free to ask me.

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: The Ten Song Shuffle Game

This is right up my alley. I will list the last 20 songs I played in two groups. I like the 'medals' approach.

1. A Case Of You - Joni Mitchell
    2. Heroes & Villains - Beach Boys
    3. Broadway Melody of 1974 - Genesis
    4. Dinah-Moe Humm - Frank Zappa
    5. Up In The Sky - Oasis
    6. True Love - Glenn Frey
    7. Rebirth - Tony Banks
    8. Mrs Vandebilt - Paul McCartney & Wings
    9. Down Along The Cove - Bob Dylan
    10. (Give Me Back My) Wings - Hunter-Ronson Band

1. Romance In Durango - Bob Dylan
    2. Violin Concerto in A Minor Adagio - Bach
    3. Enigma Variations III RBT Allegro - Elgar
    4. Amsterdam - Crowded House
    5. All My Friends Are Getting Married - Skyhooks
    6. You Ought To Be With Me - Al Green
    7. Rock'n'Roll Fantasy - Bad Company
    8. My Rival - Steely Dan
    9. On Interstate 15 - Wall Of Voodoo
    10. Guilty Of The Crime - Eagles

Finally got around to doing this - I split the list into two groups as there are some bands that a few on the border might not have heard of so I did a group of 'border friendly' songs

Border Friendly:
    1 - Brand New Tennessee Waltz - Don Henley
    2 - Don't Go Breaking My Heart - Elton John
    3 - Set The Fire To The Third Bar - Snow Patrol
    4 - Black Hole Sun - Soundgarden
    5 - Man On The Moon - REM
    6 - Take Back The City - Snow Patrol
    7 - Some Might Say - Oasis
    8 - Sunny Came Home - Shawn Colvin
    9 - You Belong To The City - Glenn Frey
    10 - The Sad Café - Eagles

Other:
    1 - Nobody Knows - Paul Brady
    2 - To Cut A Long Story Short - Spandau Ballet
    3 - Jupiter - 30 Seconds To Mars
    4 - The Older We Get - Hothouse Flowers
    5 - All You Want - Dido
    6 - Got To Get Away - The Stunning
    7 - The Safety Dance - Men Without Hats
    8 - Joan Of Ark - OMD
    9 - Heads - The Stunning
    10 - Don't Leave - Faithless
    "The more I know, the less I understand...."

Don't crack up, bend your brain, see both sides, throw off your mental chains"

Stuck on the Border

I am going to do one of these per week, per favourite artist, starting of course with the Beatles.

1. Another Girl
    2. Here Comes The Sun
    3. I Feel Fine
    4. Within You, Without You
    5. Sexy Sadie
    6. I Saw Her Standing There
    7. Glass Onion
    8. Martha My Dear
    9. Tomorrow Never Knows
    10. I'm Down

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Great idea, JCL!

1. Little Queenie-REO Speedwagon
    2. Almost Saturday Night-John Fogerty
    3. Shame on the Moon-Bob Seger
    4. Love In the 21st Century-Glenn Frey
    5. These Dreams-Heart
    6. Drink A Little Drink-Eric Church
    7. Looking Into You-Jackson Browne
    8. Them and Us-Don Henley
    9. Time-Pink Floyd
    10-Call Me the Breeze-Lynyrd Skynyrd

I haven't heard some of these for a while!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Glad to hear people are enjoying this game so far!

FP, I originally came up with this idea while listening to Led Zeppelin on shuffle so I already have a suitable list I can use for them. I'm guessing you'll probably want to do a Zep shuffle at some stage? If so, I'm happy to wait until you've posted your list and then I'll put my ten songs up.

The natural place for me to start is with Pink Floyd. I have well over 200 Floyd tracks on my iPod so there are a lot of tracks on there, even once I leave out the full live performances I have of the Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall albums. I am guessing that 'later' Floyd is more familiar to most Borderers than 'early' Floyd, so I'll use a similar approach to Lacken (great idea by the way - I should probably try that approach later) and come up with two playlists - there is easily enough material to use from two different sets of songs, which I divide Happily there is one album that stands out as an excellent candidate to divide the Floyd catalogue - The Dark Side of the Moon. Nothing was ever quite the same for the band after the runaway success of that album, which dwarfed its predecessors. The two randomly shuffles will be based on playlists containing the following albums:

Early Pink Floyd (pre-Dark Side): The Piper at the Gates of Dawn, A Saucerful of Secrets, More Soundtrack, Ummagumma, Atom Heart Mother, Relics, Meddle, Obscured By Clouds
    Later Pink Floyd (Dark Side and post-Dark Side): The Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, Animals, The Wall, The Division Bell, P.U.L.S.E., The Endless River
    (I don't currently have The Final Cut or A Momentary Lapse of Reason)

So here's the first half of my Pink Floyd shuffle:

Early Pink Floyd (1966-1972)
    1. The Nile Song
    2. Echoes
    3. Astronomy Domine
    4. Take Up Thy Stethoscope and Walk
    5. Free Four
    6. Atom Heart Mother Suite
    7. Childhood's End
    8. Julia Dream
    9. Careful With That Axe, Eugene
    10. A Saucerful of Secrets (Live)

To me, there was no contest as to which song which best - Echoes stands as one of the greatest epics in rock history. As an epic in the Floyd canon, it is bettered only by Shine On You Crazy Diamond. To my delight, it was followed by my favourite song from the Syd Barrett era, Astronomy Domine.

I decided to listen to all of these songs, so I did have to laugh at how both of the band's longest songs from this era (Echoes and Atom Heart Mother) came up! It does reminds me why I don't tend to shuffle Floyd very often, although it was certainly good fun.

I haven't done the 'later' Floyd playlist yet, but it will probably be the next one I put up.

Stuck on the Border

JCL, you can put up your Zeppelin playlist whenever you want because before I get to them I have to do the Eagles, Dire Straits, Rolling Stones & Glenn. Then I will do Zeppelin & then Genesis. I don't know about dividing artists up into eras. To do that I would have to create playlists with albums from each era & I would rather shuffle the entire lot.

Thanks FP, I thought it would be worth checking before I posted it. I'll post my Led Zeppelin list next week. For the most part, I agree with you about not dividing artists into eras - a lot of bands do not have enough songs to justify splitting their discography. I made an except for Pink Floyd as they do have a lot of albums but also more significantly I sense that most Borderers are more familiar with the music from Dark Side onwards than the earlier albums so I thought it was sensible to split their music into the better known and more obscure halves. My 'rule of thumb' is that I feel I generally need there to be at least around 40 tracks on a playlist or by one or more artist(s) to make a really interesting shuffle, although this is just my personal preference.

I will probably also do the Eagles and Dire Straits fairly soon, possibly Fleetwood Mac as well. In addition, I can definitely do Neil Young and Bob Dylan, and I have enough Mark Knopfler solo tracks to shuffle them too. I could also do an Eagles solo songs playlist, as I now have a decent number of songs by Don H and Joe which I could lump together. To be honest there isn't really anyone else I have enough songs by except Coldplay, who I hardly ever listen to nowadays. The only other one that could work funnily enough I think is The Beach Boys - although I'm not a massive fan, I own a compilation with quite a large number of songs the shuffle would potentially be quite interesting and varied (in contrast to say Lynyrd Skynyrd, who I enjoy listening to more and have a comparable number of songs by, but they are from only three albums).

I had a chance to listen to my second Pink Floyd shuffle today and here are the first ten songs that came up:

Later-era Pink Floyd Shuffle (Dark Side and post-Dark Side)
    1. On The Run (Live)
    2. What Do You Want From Me (Live)
    3. In The Flesh
    4. Us And Them
    5. The Lost Art Of Conversation
    6. Allons-Y (1)
    7. Any Colour You Like
    8. Pigs On The Wing (Part One)
    9. Astronomy Domine (Live)
    10. Time

I found the top two quite easy - Time is at the very least in my overall Top 5 and quite possibly depending on mood my favourite Floyd song that isn't an extended piece, while Us And Them is another huge personal favourite. I gave third to In The Flesh although there were a couple of others that weren't far behind.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I can do Eagles, Glenn, Don and Joe easily. I can also do Jackson Browne, Aerosmith, Fleetwood Mac, John Fogerty, Beatles, and maybe Heart.

I like this game, JCL! Thanks!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

I can do absolutely loads of artists. I can not only do the Beatles & all members, the Eagles & all members of the last line-up, Genesis & Gabriel, Collins & Banks, Dire Straits & Knopfler, Zeppelin & Plant, CCR & Fogerty, etc. That isn't even mentioning bands like Queen, Bee Gees, Abba & solo artists like Seger, Diamond, Dylan, Ferry, Newman, Presley, Nicks etc.

Anyway here is my Eagles playlist:

1. Victim Of Love
    2. I Don't Want To Hear Any More (live in Sydney)
    3. Hole In The World
    4. Midnight Flyer
    5. Pretty Maids All In A Row
    6. Wasted Time (Reprise)
    7. King Of Hollywood
    8. I Dreamed There Was No War
    9. Out Of Control
    10. The Girl From Yesterday

TGFY is one of the saddest songs in their catalogue which I am afraid has taken on particular meaning for me in the last six weeks. I am also one of the few people on this board to have seen it performed, and not once, but twice, just three years ago at the Opera House.

As for PMAIAR, some lines from it resonated with me yesterday:

Heroes they come & they go
    And leave us behind
    As if we're s'posed to know why.....