Page 15 of 33 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: Pebble Beach 2008

Stuck on the Border

Soda, that's a bit unfair. It was only a minute. It is not that I didn't want to record it but I thought the segment was far too short to have on one DVD. I can't just record it and then start again like I could have done with videotape. I am anticipating that tomorrow and Sunday there will be more than one segment and that on Sunday there will be an interview.

However, obviously I enjoyed watching the segment, short though it was.

Thank you for the next batch of photos.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I do not get the Golf channel. But I will try to get the Sat & Sun coverage on CBS.

Lovely new pics, too, Angels!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

I'm sorry I sounded cross, FP. I was just disappointed. Certainly no one is obligated to record anything!

Part two coming up!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Default Pebble Beach - Thursday

We arrived a little late – although we tried very hard to get there on time! I mean, I even got up at 4:30 am! But you know how it is. Things always take longer than you think they will. Timfan and her dad were able to make it on time though!

Glenn played first at 8:00. He was paired with Craig Stadler. Unlike previous years, he was not with Clay Walker. Instead, the other pair was Huey Lewis and Peter Jacobsen. His handicap is now up to 16, BTW. (At one point, Glenn joked, "I'm gridlocked at 16!")

He played the Poppy Hills golf course, which is not a coastal golf course like the others. As a result, it’s a little easier to navigate – not as steep and all that. Although the morning started out chilly, it warmed up nicely, and by the end, I didn’t even need a jacket.

When we caught up to Glenn and his group at 8:45, they were already at the third hole. Because his team was first and no one was ahead of him, they moved quickly. We had just crossed the bridge – the same bridge PLS and I first caught a glimpse of Glenn on back in 2006 – and he was heading the other way. We were a little ahead of him, but he caught up to us and told us, “Top of the mornin’ to you, ladies!” as he passed. We walked with him to where the sidewalk divided, and I got confused. “Do we go straight or right?” I knew the one on the right was probably just for pros, but I didn’t know for sure. He laughed. “You can’t go down here, Nancy,” he said and then turned to go with the pros. I obediently took the other path, as Dreamer quickly chimed in, “I knew that!”

Glenn played well overall, but somewhat inconsistently. He looked good in an olive green sweater that matched Stadler’s sweater in color. His pants were navy blue and he wore the CPD hat again. While he was not always happy with his play, he kept his team alive because Stadler was doing so poorly. Even though Stadler ended up two over par, the team as a whole was three UNDER par thanks to Glenn's talent.

The weather heated up and became more and more beautiful with each hole. Occasionally Glenn glanced over and grimaced after a play he was unhappy with (even though none of them were THAT bad). It was after the ninth hole, however, when we got to have a little more fun! As we left the ninth hole to go past the clubhouse, PLS and I were hurrying up in the front and Dreamer and Molly were hanging a bit behind (Dreamer has short legs). She overheard a guy ask for Glenn’s autograph on his LROOE CD. Glenn said, “I can’t right now,” then called Carl the Caddy over. He told him, “Carl, get over here and do your job. I gotta talk to my angels.” At this point, I was oblivious to Dreamer hissing “slow down” at me and PLS, going ahead full speed. Glenn was forced to call out, “HEY!” PLS heard him but couldn’t see him, so we kept going. Then he yelled, “LIVERMORE!” and PLS immediately turned right around. “We have to go back!” she cried. I figured PLS knew what she doing so I followed, although I still hadn’t heard him. I don’t know what’s wrong with me – maybe I need a hearing aid!

He walked up to us with an empty Minute Maid orange juice bottle and a twenty dollar bill. He handed them to PLS. “Can you fill this with high octane?” he asked us. I looked at him blankly, although I think everyone else knew what he meant. I guess he noticed my blank look and figured we needed more explanation, so he continued, “Get orange juice and vodka and put together a screwdriver for your uncle Glenn.” “OF COURSE!” we all cried, thrilled once again to be of service. Dreamer asked him where to go, and he indicated the nearby clubhouse. “Meet you at the 10th tee,” he said as he left.

The clubhouse was nearby, open to the public, and easy to get to – unlike last year! We all tromped in together eagerly, and Molly had the honor of handing over the money (we paid for it ourselves). The bartender filled up the Minute Maid bottle with the screwdriver so that it looked very innocuous and non-alcoholic. We carried it back to Glenn as quickly as we could – in less than fifteen minutes, we were handing the bottle and Glenn’s money back to Carl the Caddy, mission accomplished. When Glenn saw us holding it off to the side, he made a little puppy-dog begging gesture – so cute! Once Carl the Caddy had delivered it, Glenn mouthed “Thank you!” and did a bit of a little bit of a bow. He took a sip and then made a big “OK” sign with his fingers. Apparently he really needed a drink!

And it seemed to work, as he birdied the next two holes! By the eleventh hole, he was coming up to us and saying, “It’s the magic juice!” At that point, there was a lull because play was backed up. Huey Lewis was standing around waiting, and Glenn grabbed him and brought him over to us. He spread out his hands, indicating us, and said, “Angels, angels every one!” Huey intoned, “Babes!” We all giggled, even though some of us knew we were hardly babe-a-licious! He indicated Dreamer – “She’s from Virginia” – and PLS – “She’s from Livermore” – and then when he got to me, he said, “She’s from Lafayette, Indiana – Purdue University. She’s been working on the same paper for seven years!” I blushed. He said, with a teasing smile, “She’s a professional student!” Before I had to chance to correct him and say I had only been working on my PhD five years, only three of which had been dedicated to my dissertation, and that it's not terribly abnormal to take that long, he looked back at Carl the Caddy. So, I turned to Huey and told HIM that… and he laughed and said, “OK.” (As if he cares! lol)

Before Glenn got too far, PLS called out, “Glenn, would you sign something?” and held up her red envelope with a blow-up of one of the photos she had taken Tuesday (We’d each picked out a photo and were keeping them in red envelopes). Glenn turned back around and looked back towards us again. Huey asked what we had in the envelopes, and Glenn added, “What have you got there? I was wondering what you had in there, too.” PLS replied jokingly as she pulled out her photo, “A fabulous piece of artwork!” He took a look at it – an action shot of him swinging the club – and he was very pleased. Apparently she had caught him in very good form. Huey complimented him on his swing and told him he looked like a professional golfer there. Glenn of course was delighted by that! He was more than happy to sign it. Then, we all got out our photos as well and he signed them, too. He told PLS, “You got some good pictures here!” Now it was her turn to be delighted! After that, it was time for play to start, and Huey called to Glenn teasingly, “Stop socializing! You’re here to play golf, not to have fun!” Glenn laughed and walked away.

When Glenn was about to make his hit, Huey joked, “If you make this, the crowd will go wild!” indicating us and the crowd around us. He made it, and we all did – of course!

On the next hole, a marshal popped open a Coke just as Stalder took a swing. At the time, Glenn had come down to the sidewalk. We caught up to him and PLS joked, “I wonder if Stadler is going to kill that guy!” Glenn laughed, then started telling a story to a group of fans who were starting to congregate around him. PLS, Dreamer, Molly and I stepped back and let him visit with the other fans. We didn’t want to be selfish and in his face all the time!

Later, as they moved on down the fairway, Carl the Caddy was quite a distance from Glenn. Glenn called over to him, “Come walk with me! I’m not contagious!” Carl the Caddy came over, and as soon as he got next to Glenn, he handed him the bottle of “high octane” orange juice. Apparently that was what Glenn was really after!

There was a little boy by the ropes one time, and when Glenn saw him, he came over and gave him a pick. This was the first time we had seen Glenn give out a pick. He is not doing it very much this year and when he does, it’s only for the kids. Sorry ladies, we can’t get any extras! He told the boy, “This pick plays ‘Take It Easy’ all by itself!” The crowd cracked up.

Another funny moment was when a guy called out to thank Glenn for singing his deluxe edition of LROOE. He said, “Thanks for this – now I know you’re not too busy being fabulous to sign autographs!” Everyone laughed, including Glenn.

At the end on the last hole, Glenn came over near us and made a driving motion. “Lot 9, ladies?” We laughed and shook our heads. “Not today!” He chuckled and moved on to make his last hit.

And that was the end of our day! Once again, our expectations are exceeded. Glenn rocks!

More photos!

So, so VERY COOL, Angels!!! The beautiful ocean, the beautiful Men, talking with, riding with, buying 'high octane'....Sounds like paradise to me!! Keep the stories & gorgeous photos coming, & be sure to let "THE MAN" know he has tons of 'unseen' angels following him too.

But, how in the world are you going to go back home & be content after this?

Aah, what can I say except Angels, I am so happy for all of you. Glenn is a very warm person indeed. I am proud to be one of his devoted fans. My respect for him grows by the second.

Huey Lewis sounds like a great person, too. I reckon if he thinks you are all "babes", then you are! Being called "angels" and "babes" by two hot men - what more can a girl ask for?

PLS, you must be so proud that Glenn liked your photos so much. I can just imagine how loudly your heart must have been beating! I must say, I'm enjoying them immensely too!

Thanks so much for the report and photos, Soda. Here's to many more adventures and anecdotes. Every detail of your report thrilled me. I agree with Marla - how in the world are you going to go back home and be content after this?

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

Stuck on the Border EasyFeeling's Avatar

Finally , sometimes my boss is a pain in the neck... especially when I have to do some other important things, reading here for instance.

Wooooohooooo Soda, another fantastic day with Glenn. That was really fun to read.
    It's great that he seems to remember all things what you ever told him about you. Very cool. Next time when I'm going to a concert I will make a sign that says: Do you remember Glennie's Angels?
    I'm sure that would confuse him.

You're so lucky that you got signed your pictures but too bad no guitar picks. But I would rather have a signed photo than a pick. Ok, now I'm waiting to read about hugs and kisses.

Very nice photos, thanks. No wonder that he's pleased.

Stuck on the Border

He's got ANGELS on his shoulder.

And don't forget - he believes in ANGELS too. Is that the new board motto?!

It really seems that he knows you all personally now. I'm just so happy for you all. And the screwdriver again - that is great.

Hopefully tomorrow I WILL record some footage of him.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Wow! Another FANTASTIC day for you Angels with Glenn
    I'm so glad you're really enjoying yourselves and having such a good time with him. And looks like he appreciates you too!

Makes my life over here seem very mundane!

Although I'm waiting in for a special Postal Delivery either today or Monday......Soda

PLS Delighted you got him to sign your pic! Thats something you will treasure always.

All the pics are fantastic as well. Everyone seems to be having the time of their lives.

Soda Could you get the next round of high octane on me please And TELL HIM!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP