Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eagles Farewell I Tour Live from Melbourne

Default Eagles Farewell I Tour Live from Melbourne

I never saw this concert previously so I took it out of the library.

WHAT A CONCERT!!!

I'm jealous that I wasn't in Melbourne back in November 2004.

Nobody can say they were loitering on stage during this show(s)!

I've only seen them once in 2013 for the History tour and that was a great show.

I loved the mix of Eagles and solo songs. They were really getting into it and dancing on stage. You can tell they really had fun.

I loved how the audience was having a great time. it didn't look like there were sitting and standing restrictions back then.

I'll have to order this on Amazon to add to my library.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: Eagles Farewell I Tour Live from Melbourne

There are several threads here about the fabulous Farewell 1 Tour! You must check them out!

Here's one: https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/foru...read.php?t=684
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    There are several threads here about the fabulous Farewell 1 Tour! You must check them out!

Here's one: https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/foru...read.php?t=684
    Thanks Brooke! I was having trouble finding an existing thread.

Ok, I thought this would be a more appropriate place to post. If not, mods can move it if necessary.

I watched a good portion of this AXS broadcast on an old TV that doesn’t have DVR capabilities. I haven’t bothered to hook up a DVD or VHS recorder. I was watching the season finale of Walking Dead too so I missed a good deal of the first hour. Also, I must confess I have never seen this concert before so I have a fresh perspective.

It started out really well—boy did Glen look great here, and they sounded good.

Im not crazy about the cheesy horn section.

TITTL - I must say, this was pretty disgusting. I had no idea this whole time that Glenn introduced this song by saying “this was a song Don and I wrote in the 70s”...really Glenn, no mention of Randy Meisner’s role?!! I knew this was a period of time when the band were trying to pretend the former members didn’t exist (too bad about the internet, guys) but this just brought it forth glaringly. I actually had to change the channel at this point even though my favorite Glenn solo song was next.

I watched the remaining concert, or most of it, and there were some good performances with the assistance of the backing musicians and singers, but there’s no way I’d ever pay $ for an official DVD.

Disappointing, b/c I try not to dwell on the negatives that is seen all over internet when it comes to this band, but stuff like this is hard to defend. I am grateful at least that this era will not be the most remembered in ‘the long run.’

Another weird thing: Henley introduces “Hole in the World” as 5-part harmony...but the 5th guy, Steuart Smith is way off to the side like the red-headed step-child.
    Last edited by Delilah; 04-01-2019 at 12:33 AM.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Border Troubadour

I have mixed feelings on Farewell I.

I am glad that, unlike pretty much every other Eagles period, it is documented; and the concert does have its moments. That's about where the positives end.

With all bar the exception of the superb renditions of Peaceful Easy Feeling and You Belong to the City, it doesn't contain one song I wouldn't rather listen to another version of a hundred times before the F1 effort. I was not, and still am not, a fan of the Mighty Horns, though Al Garth's (?) violin does add meaningful depth to some songs. The setlist is mediocre at best, I think the only 'new' song I like on it at all is Hole in the World, and even that sounds suspiciously identical to the studio version. It doesn't benefit from the omission of staples such as Witchy Woman and Best of My Love either; and I will nominate Sunset Grill as probably the single worst Eagles performance ever, it is utterly, utterly dreadful. Glenn's comments before TITTL annoy me too. I know they spent their entire career before HOTE pretending they didn't have former members, but if you are going to do that at least do it with grace and dignity.

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    I will nominate Sunset Grill as probably the single worst Eagles performance ever, it is utterly, utterly dreadful.
    This is particularly scathing and I must admit, I'm curious - what in particular makes you hate it so much?

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    Ok, I thought this would be a more appropriate place to post. If not, mods can move it if necessary.

I watched a good portion of this AXS broadcast on an old TV that doesn’t have DVR capabilities. I haven’t bothered to hook up a DVD or VHS recorder. I was watching the season finale of Walking Dead too so I missed a good deal of the first hour. Also, I must confess I have never seen this concert before so I have a fresh perspective.

It started out really well—boy did Glen look great here, and they sounded good.

Im not crazy about the cheesy horn section.

TITTL - I must say, this was pretty disgusting. I had no idea this whole time that Glenn introduced this song by saying “this was a song Don and I wrote in the 70s”...really Glenn, no mention of Randy Meisner’s role?!! I knew this was a period of time when the band were trying to pretend the former members didn’t exist (too bad about the internet, guys) but this just brought it forth glaringly. I actually had to change the channel at this point even though my favorite Glenn solo song was next.

I watched the remaining concert, or most of it, and there were some good performances with the assistance of the backing musicians and singers, but there’s no way I’d ever pay $ for an official DVD.

Disappointing, b/c I try not to dwell on the negatives that is seen all over internet when it comes to this band, but stuff like this is hard to defend. I am grateful at least that this era will not be the most remembered in ‘the long run.’

Another weird thing: Henley introduces “Hole in the World” as 5-part harmony...but the 5th guy, Steuart Smith is way off to the side like the red-headed step-child.
    Your criticism is valid, but I do think that overall, the concert is worth the money despite its flaws. For me, there are many pros that outweigh the cons.

In the end, I'm just glad we have a professionally recorded live concert performance besides HFO available to us (heck, even HFO isn't a full concert).

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

HFO is like a Don Henley solo concert with some Eagles songs thrown in. I was not a fan of the setlist, but I still watch it from time to time and plan on watching it for the first time in awhile next Sunday.

As far as TITTL, I've always preferred Glenn's version (the high notes RM does with the wooooohoooooos and ohhhhs is like nails on a chalkboard for me, especially in live versions).

Still, I think it's valid to say that Glenn probably should have mentioned Randy in some form or fashion.

And I have really grown on Sunset Grill, the song in recent weeks (funny the timing, I've been listening to that song lately). The last two weeks I've been listening to it regularly and I absolutely love it now. The F1 performance of it is cool, but I prefer the video on YouTube of Henley doing it solo in 1991. I think it's a great song that isn't too preachy (which can wear on me when it comes to Don, lol). I don't agree that it's the worst performance. I think it's average probably. Again, listen to DH doing it in '91 on YouTube. Definitely my favorite version of SG.

As far as Delilah's comment about Steuart being off to the side - that's something that's bothered me as I am a huge fan of Steuart. I think he's the musician's musician and just a fabulous player who's brought a lot to the band.

All in all, I absolutely love F1. I think it's a great concert video and my favorite official concert video they've released.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

One of my uncles has this DVD and I used to watch it when I visited him. Glenn definitely should have mention Randy. A "song Don and I wrote", aaarghhh.

Delilah, I thought the exact same thing when I finally got a chance to watch it. If I'm not mistaken didn't someone from the crowd yell out "that's Randy's song" or did I say that out loud and only think I heard it from the concert??