Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eagles at Capital Center 1977, Overdubbed, Studio version?

Default Eagles at Capital Center 1977, Overdubbed, Studio version?

Its widely known that Live albums and videos are many times overdubbed with guitar parts and vocals. Ocassionally a band will mention that a particular album was not overdubbed at all.

But I was just watching the video of Take it to the Limit in 1977 at the Capitol Center and the vocals if not more seems dubbed or actually taken write off the studio album. First because its too perfect and second because there are moments where its not synched, like at 1:35 when Randy sings "time" and you can still here it after he clearly has stopped singing.

So whats the official word on the Capitol Center recordings....is that all over dubs, or studio album versions. If so was the live version ever leaked?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7hmF_IX9Ic[/ame]

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Eagles at Capital Center 1977, Overdubbed, Studio version?

I don't think anyone here knows about that, but I hope someones does. It's true that everyone has always fixed live performances in the studio, but I can't see why they would've had to do it there (at 1:35 mark), because Randy was really concentrating on singing and he didn't jump around at the same time etc. Maybe the word "time" was just a little flat or something. However, IMO that bit could still be real. What Randy's mouth is doing is very close to what is heard, and the picture and sound would have to be only a little bit out of sync to make it look like it was overdubbed. But I'm sure there are other examples as well, like you said. Interesting.

Stuck on the Border

The audio for the show was remixed for the DVD release so it could have been fixed. Does it look like a single performance visually? I know that Farewell 1 was a composite of several performances because there are minor changes in hair and clothing between shots and yet the sound is unaffected.

However, bootleg performances are almost as good and obviously they are as played.

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    I don't think anyone here knows about that, but I hope someones does. It's true that everyone has always fixed live performances in the studio, but I can't see why they would've had to do it there (at 1:35 mark), because Randy was really concentrating on singing and he didn't jump around at the same time etc. Maybe the word "time" was just a little flat or something. However, IMO that bit could still be real. What Randy's mouth is doing is very close to what is heard, and the picture and sound would have to be only a little bit out of sync to make it look like it was overdubbed. But I'm sure there are other examples as well, like you said. Interesting.
    Im not even thinking the 'time' part was the evidence...just one. I think the entire track seems overdubbed. Just sounds too perfect for a live performance, it actuallys sounds like the album version. Have to compare.

For example I shot and edited this live music video for a friend. I wont reveal if yes or no just yet, but watch it and tell me if you think there are overdubs and if so what was overdubbed.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyOhjUXpeEo[/ame]

Stuck on the Border

I have to say I don't have the faintest idea what was overdubbed in the video you posted. Maybe I should watch it many times. The picture and sound seemed to be from different situations here and there - by looking at the guitar. I think this happened three times.
    It's hard to say anything about the lead vocals, because there are two people singing the lead line and I don't know their voices. So if it looks like the guitar player is too far from the mike, maybe it's another singing.

When I watched that Take It To The Limit clip the words "too perfect" came to my mind too. Incidentally, KISS's "Animalize live uncensored" must be the most overdubbed live video ever.

Out on the Border

First off, they recorded two nights at the Capitol Center. And they went out wearing the same clothes on both nights. And there are cases where they selectively chose video from one night or the other for their video releases. And that's fine, everyone does that.

One clear example of using different footage: on the History of the Eagles 2013 DVD, in Hotel California you can see one simple example when Joe's wrist band suddenly appears during the solo at 6:12

And before the 2013 release, they had this version of the song (presumably from the other night), and the tempo is slightly faster and again you can see footage from both nights on this video (again the wrist band on Joe as a clear example). These are two separate recordings of the song with obvious visual and audio differences.

The point being that the video you're seeing isn't necessarily supposed to match the audio depending which video snippets they spliced in.

Now I think I have PROOF that (at least) portions (or more) of Hotel California were redone. Here is the proof:

On the History of the Eagles 2013 DVD in HC, right before the slower guitar harmony section, you can clearly see Joe's hand slide down, but the note rings slightly longer. This is obvious to me anyway, @5:35.

So you then you must conclude "okay maybe I'm actually hearing the audio from the other night at the Capitol Center. But my dear Watson, the tempo of Hotel California was a bit faster on the other night. LOL- well if you do not believe me, play both in Youtube simutaneously and you can hear the tempos diverge. You can even A-B compare the two and discerning ears can notice a tempo difference, esp. during the intro/1st verse.

So the mystery -you are hearing the slower-tempo version of the two versions of Hotel California and that does not fully sync with the video from the History of the Eagles 2013 DVD and does not sync with video #2 from years earlier due to the faster tempo.

This presumes they wouldn't have gone so far as to try to alter the tempo/speed of the audio and *gosh hopefully not* the video. I seriously doubt it would ever go that far.

I know this all sounds kind of ridiculous with all this detailed inspection and comparison, honestly I barely had time even to look into this much, and it was out of curiousity weeks ago. There are likely many more examples of strange discrepancies like this. Please feel free to debunk me if I'm overlooking anything here.

All that being said, I truly believe large parts of this recording were redone, because it DOES sound absolutely perfect in every way. I know the Eagles were perfectionists to the extreme on anything they released.

Yea there lots of tricks that can be done.

In my above video i shot this is the 'magic' i put into it.

I shot it with one handheld camera. On and off all night, wasnt even aiming at one particular song. The harmonica player had a seperate recorder recording audio. So the audio u hear is not from my camera. Since i only had one camera I spliced in various moments from other songs that fit in the spot without being too obvious. I didnt want one continuous boring video thats why i spiced in dfferent clips every few seconds. As far as audio the harmonica was kinda low s the musician rerecorded the harmonica sitting in his living room in from of a mac. He had to play the part exactly as live so it wouldnt be noticiable. The singer also rerecorded his entore singing track. He managed to use sftware to take most of his vocals out and then recorded it. The next night i also recorded them atbanother bar and used some of that footage in there also.

So if i can d all that with one camera, imagine what pros cant do.

Stuck on the Border

Yes, I must admit the harmonica was a bit odd, but it could have been live. I had no idea the pictures came from different songs. I'm a guitarist, so I was watching his hands...

Out on the Border

OK my silly curiosity got the best of me again, I analysed a little more on these two Hotel California video releases (1 and 2), where '1' is the pre-2013 video release with the slightly faster tempo, and '2' is the one which they released with the 2013 History of the Eagles DVD -- and you know what?

These guys shot not two but THREE versions of this song. The dead giveaway is Joe's black wristband: you can clearly see two different performances of this song, but a third performance with the wristband visible is spliced into both video releases.

But they played only two nights in Largo (3/21 and 3/22/1977).

So what does this mean?

well I'm speculating here but these are some possibilities:
    a- they messed up during the performance and started over?
    b- they felt they needed more quality video footage so played HC twice in one night?
    c- they did some video recordings during soundcheck?
    d- other?

OK anyways