Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Final tribute for Glenn. Will there be one and if so, how should it be done?

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Final tribute for Glenn. Will there be one and if so, how should it be done?

There a lots of ways to do a tribute to someone. Do you think the Eagles Grammy performance is enough and if not, what should be done?

I'm not sure I want to see the remaining guys up there with someone filling in for Glenn. Jackson did a fine job at the Grammy's, but I wonder if they would really want to do a whole concert. Maybe they have plans for something, but so far, nothing has been mentioned.

Lots of tributes have other bands/musicians doing the performing with the remaining members in the audience. What do you think?
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Out on the Border TequilaSunrise82's Avatar

Default Re: Final tribute for Glenn. Will there be one and if so, how should it be done?

This is just my opinion, and I know not everyone will agree, but I would almost rather not see a tribute right now. I feel like it's still too early after Glenn's passing. I just can't envision it - the guys up there with a "replacement Glenn" and they would obviously be solemn and the songs wouldn't have the same feelings behind them.

I think at this point everyone is still going through a different stage of grief, and that includes the fans, members of the band and of course Glenn's family and friends. I think it will take a long time for everyone to come together and even be able to think about how to do a public tribute. (I know there was a private tribute already)

Personally, what is getting me through this stage is listening/watching videos of old performances from the 70s because that is how I want to remember Glenn and that is what brings me joy now. If they did a tribute now, I don't think I'd be able to watch it. Maybe a year from now I'll think differently.

Default Re: Final tribute for Glenn. Will there be one and if so, how should it be done?

I would like to see a tribute to Glenn at some point - maybe in a year or so when it's not so raw and emotional. Their performance at the Grammys was so emotional, and I really hope that in time, they will think about doing something.

I think something like the private tribute would be good - different bands/singers telling stories and playing songs that connected them with Glenn and how he influenced their lives and then ending maybe with the band themselves playing their favourite songs mixed in with stories etc.

I would also love to hear Don's eulogy and the song Joe wrote for Glenn from the private tribute.
    "The more I know, the less I understand...."

Don't crack up, bend your brain, see both sides, throw off your mental chains"

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

I personally hope if/when there is one they do it similar to "The Concert for George". It was held exactly a year after George Harrison passed in 2002 and organized by his wife Olivia, their son Dhani, Jeff Lynne, and I think Paul McCartney, Ringo, and Eric Clapton. Olivia had a speech as did others, and the rest performed Geroge's and Beatles songs with a variety of other well known musicians. Paul still does the same tribute of singing "Something" while playing ukulele at his concerts and pictures of him and George together show behind him on the screen. I know the tribute was broadcasted on TV (which is how I saw it) but I can't remember if it was live or it aired before the DVD release date the following year. All the proceeds went to charities too. I loved getting to watch that concert and it helped me as George was my favorite Beatle and huge part of my life too and would love if Glenn has the same.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

I would like to see something similar like the concert for George. It had A bunch of diffrent guys like Clapton Jeff Lynye etc Dhani Harrison and Paul and Ringo. So maybe you something like that with people like

Bob Segear
    Jackson
    JD Souther
    Glenn's son Deacon
    The rest of the band (Including Felder but it's far fetched)
    and a group of backing musicians.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

I would like to see a tribute to Glenn at some stage and perhaps involving the other guys and other musicians who were a part of Glenn 's life. However I would like it ti be thoughtfully and tastefully done. Early next year perhaps - as Lacken says it is still too raw and emotional at present.
    I would also love if the band were to bring out some sort of memorial souvenir to Glenn or possibly release all his studio albums as a CD or Vinyl box set with perhaps some photos and/or quotes of his. Perhaps for the Christmas market which would coincide with his first Anniversary too.

It remains to be seen what if anything will be done but IMHO there are a lot of fans still grieving who would like to see some sort of tribute that they too can participate in
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

I agree with all of this, and I'd like to add Linda Ronstadt and Stevie Nicks, though I know Linda can't participate.

It's no coincidence that Concert for George keeps getting a mention - it was a beautiful tribute, beautifully done. I would encourage anyone who hasn't seen it to watch it. I loved Paul's rendition of All Things Must Pass, and as has been mentioned, it was lovely watching George's son Dhani onstage.

I would like to add that if they do something like CFG, I do not need to see the remaining Eagles perform together - in fact, I hope they don't. I would much rather see them all perform separately from each other, except for perhaps the finale when everyone performs something together.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

I know I'm in the minority here but as far as live performance, I feel like the Grammy performance was the tribute. For me, it was sort of a perfectly emotional thing. Maybe I feel this way because I'm not ready...I did spend the weekend with my concert dvds trying to forget Don said what he did in the BBC interview.

I do hope a dvd of the HOTE concert is released with something heartfelt either in writing or on video from each of the guys included ... Don's eulogy, Joe's song... Besides that, I'd like to see Don, Joe, and Tim out and about, creating, and being OK. I feel like that's a form of tribute too.

Border Desperado

Count me as one who would love to see a public tribute for Glenn in the future. In addition to the performers already mentioned, I would love to hear the song Jack Tempchin wrote about Glenn. This song literally had me in tears as I thought about the impact Glenn had on so many people.

https://www.reverbnation.com/jacktem...res-no-goodbye

Apologies if this was already linked here. I've read so much about Glenn recently that I sometimes forget where I found some of the material.