Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Final tribute for Glenn. Will there be one and if so, how should it be done?

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Default Re: Final tribute for Glenn. Will there be one and if so, how should it be done?

Count me as one who would like to see a tribute some time down the road. I would like for Jack Tempchin to sing the songs he wrote/cowrote, You Belong to the City , Already Gone, Peaceful Easy Feeling, Somebody, The One You Love, True Love, After Hours etc. I would also like for there to be a fair representation of his solo songs. (Not just Smuggler's Blues, YBTTC, or THIO).

If there's an Eagles song that Glenn didn't sing, then I would want Desperado to be it, with the Eagles performing. The reason being that Glenn sang it solo, and it's one of the first songs Don and Glenn wrote together. I would like it to be the last song preformed, as I think that it's not only a good ending for a tribute to Glenn, but a good ending for the Eagles as a band.

As for performers, I would like the 4 Eagles (Don, Tim, Joe, and Bernie) to at least play one or 2 songs, like the aforementioned Desperado. Maybe have Bob Seger sing Heartache Tonight. I'm not sure about having New Kid in Town performed because I can't picture anyone but Glenn singing it, but maybe JD Souther could do it. I want a song from Strange Weather to be included, but I don't know which one, maybe the title track.
    Last edited by AlreadyGone95; 03-15-2016 at 06:43 PM.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Default Re: Final tribute for Glenn. Will there be one and if so, how should it be done?

I don't think the remaining Eagles should be the back up band for any performer, meaning I don't want to see them playing with Jackson or Bob or whoever. I think their status should be the same as other solo performers for the event. I'm probably dreaming, but I'd like to hear Don Henley or Timothy do a song that Glenn sang lead on, Eagles or solo. Joe could sing the song he wrote and performed at Glenn's memorial. But to me, a tribute is when others perform the music of the deceased.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Great ideas everyone!

I also think only Eagles songs that Glenn sang and the solo songs mentioned.

Pm, I agree too that the remaining Eagles shouldn't be the backup band.

I'd like to see JD, Jackson, Bob, and Jack T perform as well as Joe do his song. I'd love to hear Don's tribute and Deacon perform.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Border Desperado

In general I agree that the focus for Eagles songs should be those that Glenn sang, but in a few interviews, he said that OOTN is his favorite. Maybe that should be a consideration?

Default Re: Final tribute for Glenn. Will there be one and if so, how should it be done

I updated a set list taking in consideration everyone's suggestions.
    1.Already Gone
    2.The Heat Is On
    3.Tequila Sunrise
    4.Lovers Moon
    5.Lyin Eyes
    6.You Belong In The City
    7.Soul Searchin
    8.Your not alone.
    9.Part Of Me Part Of You
    10.Ol'55
    11.After Hours.
    12.Peacefull Easy Feeling
    13.Somebody
    14.Strange Wheather
    15.Heartache Tonight.
    16.River Of Dreams.
    17.One OF These Nights*
    Encore 1.
    18.New Kid In Town
    19.Dootlin Dalton.
    Encore 2.
    20.Its Your World Now.
    21.No More Cloudy Days
    Encore3
    22.Take It Easy
    23.Desperado

Edit
    *Many have suggested playing One Of These Nights since it was Glenn's favorite Eagles song and Freypower suggested Sexy Girl might not be appropriate for this kind of tribute.
    Last edited by travlnman2; 03-17-2016 at 09:33 AM.

Stuck on the Border

I like that, but I don't know about Sexy Girl at an event like this. I think OOTN could work, as he loved the song so much.

In terms of performers it would be nice if there were other people besides the California rock mafia. We know Randy Newman & Stevie Wonder were at the private memorial. Randy could sing his own Same Girl, of course, but the song I think he would nail would be After Hours, which has the same world weary piano style he employs. Also while Seger is an obvious choice for Heartache Tonight, he could sing something like Somebody or possibly even River Of Dreams.

It's weird thinking back on Glenn's career that he didn't really hang out with other rock stars & he didn't work with them either. He had no high profile guests on any of his albums (apart from TBS on Soul Searchin') and the last time he was a guest on an album was Don's Inside Job. When Warren Zevon recorded The Wind, it featured Don, Joe & Tim. Glenn was nowhere to be seen. That was one reason I was so surprised to see the photo of him with Paul Stanley at the Hall of Fame & that Gene Simmons actually went on TV to talk about him. And of course all the musicians he knew/worked with are American.

How I wish he had got beyond writing the songs he was apparently writing for another solo album.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

I'm not sure about River of Dreams. To me, it seems to be too personal for someone else to sing it.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by buffyfan145 View Post
    I personally hope if/when there is one they do it similar to "The Concert for George". It was held exactly a year after George Harrison passed in 2002 and organized by his wife Olivia, their son Dhani, Jeff Lynne, and I think Paul McCartney, Ringo, and Eric Clapton. Olivia had a speech as did others, and the rest performed Geroge's and Beatles songs with a variety of other well known musicians. Paul still does the same tribute of singing "Something" while playing ukulele at his concerts and pictures of him and George together show behind him on the screen. I know the tribute was broadcasted on TV (which is how I saw it) but I can't remember if it was live or it aired before the DVD release date the following year. All the proceeds went to charities too. I loved getting to watch that concert and it helped me as George was my favorite Beatle and huge part of my life too and would love if Glenn has the same.
    I was there! It was a magical event , and I agree, I'd love to see something like that for Glenn. I was at the Freddie Mercury one too.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I like that, but I don't know about Sexy Girl at an event like this. I think OOTN could work, as he loved the song so much.

In terms of performers it would be nice if there were other people besides the California rock mafia. We know Randy Newman & Stevie Wonder were at the private memorial. Randy could sing his own Same Girl, of course, but the song I think he would nail would be After Hours, which has the same world weary piano style he employs. Also while Seger is an obvious choice for Heartache Tonight, he could sing something like Somebody or possibly even River Of Dreams.

It's weird thinking back on Glenn's career that he didn't really hang out with other rock stars & he didn't work with them either. He had no high profile guests on any of his albums (apart from TBS on Soul Searchin') and the last time he was a guest on an album was Don's Inside Job. When Warren Zevon recorded The Wind, it featured Don, Joe & Tim. Glenn was nowhere to be seen. That was one reason I was so surprised to see the photo of him with Paul Stanley at the Hall of Fame & that Gene Simmons actually went on TV to talk about him. And of course all the musicians he knew/worked with are American.

How I wish he had got beyond writing the songs he was apparently writing for another solo album.
    Thanks for the suggestions I would like to keep editing the list

Edited setlist