Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Final tribute for Glenn. Will there be one and if so, how should it be done?

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Default Re: Final tribute for Glenn. Will there be one and if so, how should it be done?

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I just heard some artists are doing a free concert in LA in honor of Prince. I wish something like that had been done for Glenn - something for the fans.
    I believe the Prince memorial is very private though and not open to the public. I hope we're talking about the same memorial: the one I'm referring to was/is organized by his two ex-wives.

Default Re: Final tribute for Glenn. Will there be one and if so, how should it be done?

Quote Originally Posted by shunlvswx View Post
    I might get talked about with what I'm about to say, but anyway. I think its wrong to try to push them to say something about Glenn when they are grieving along with us. I'm sorry that's how I feel. When its us, some fans don't want anybody to tell them hurry and get over it or whatever, but when it comes to the guys we want them to say something right now. Like we are mad at them for not bringing up Glenn. When the time comes, they will say something. Give them time to heal.
    I completely agree with you here Shun - if and when they are ready, they will talk about Glenn. If something is going to be done to honour Glenn, then let it be done right! If it takes time, so be it.

Lets just hope that as the year goes on, and they continue to tour, they see how much they mean to their fans, they will feel like they can talk about Glenn and how much he is missed.
    "The more I know, the less I understand...."

Don't crack up, bend your brain, see both sides, throw off your mental chains"

Stuck on the Border

The other night I wrote about feeling grumpy because the band members weren't talking. This followed me listening to some of the interviews that Joe was doing to promote his tour and one in particular, where they talked about his friendship with Paul Rodgers and how the tour came which is just what I'd expect. However they then onto his solo career, The James Gang, playing with The Foo Fighters, "Was there anyone he'd like to play with?" and so on with no mention of what has been his main job for the last twenty years.

It sounds like the tribute in Joe's show was just about right. "I thought we'd grow old together" is simple and touching and although the choice of song was surprising, it worked the better for that. And the crowd sang along, too.

I'm not expecting any of them to talk about Glenn at length, at this point, just to acknowledge that things are different now.

I think the "I thought we'd grow old together" line was the first time Joe really opened up about Glenn since his death even though he really didn't go into depth with it.

Even though Don didn't talk about Glenn's death in Dallas early this month, he did bring up Glenn a few times in his stories. Either when its about the songs they wrote or Glenn trying to talk a big guy out of beating up poor drunk Don (LOL I like that story).

You also have to remembered Don did say something about Glenn's death during that BBC interview in February when he talked how he and the other guys were feeling at that moment.

Unless Don(and even Joe) tells the interviewer ahead of time to not bring up Glenn's death or how he's feeling after losing Glenn, Don (and Joe) will probably never bring up Glenn at this moment until they are ready to go more in depth of losing him. They are taking baby steps especially Joe since he's been lost with words over Glenn's death.

Maybe its hard too to even acknowledge Glenn is gone. These guys (the current lineup)have been together for almost 40 years (not counting the 14 years they were not together) and now they are on their own. No coming back to the mothership(like Don said in an interview). Its hard for them to think they will never see Glenn again. Give them time to bring even bring up or acknowledge Glenn is gone. Like some of us, its hard to bring up Glenn. Its the same with the guys. I just don't get why they have to have so much flake of not bringing up Glenn. I don't like this double standard.
    Last edited by shunlvswx; 05-14-2016 at 07:04 PM.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I have to agree with these last several posts. The remaining band members will speak about Glenn when and if they are ready to do so. Dealing with loss is such a personal thing - everybody has to do it their own way. I can relate somewhat because I don't talk much about Glenn to others either at this point. There's really not much to say that hasn't already been said without digging very deep and stirring up a lot of emotions. I expect coping with this will continue to get easier for all of us with the passage of time.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Transferred from another thread:

If there was a "Concert for George" tribute to Glenn, who would appear, and what Glenn (or at least Glenn-sung songs) would they sing?

Here's what I suggest on the other thread:

Jackson Browne - Take it Easy (has to be)
    Linda Ronstadt - Peaceful Easy Feeling
    Don Henley - Common Ground
    JD Souther - New Kid in Town
    Tim Schmit - The One You Love
    Joe Walsh - The Heat is On (de-80-ised rocky version) or The Allnighter
    Sheryl Crow - Smuggler's Blues
    Jack Tempchin - True Love (suitable for his vocal range? - more acoustic but with gospel choir backing)
    Joe Walsh - Heartache Tonight (too many Joe vocals, how could these be balanced?)
    Bernie Leadon - Lyin' Eyes

Massed song at end: Ol '55

I would suspect that Don F and Randy wouldn't be there (for different reasons). So, this is an example of what I think might happen, rather than what I'd like to happen in a different world without personal friction and health issues.

Banned

Although he's not a household name, I think Max Carl should be on the bill. One More River is a great song, co written with Glenn. I don't think he'd fancy doing Somebody Somewhere. Lou Ann Barton too. Not forgetting Bob Seger. Elton John, Randy Newman, Dixie Chicks, Michael Buble I'd love to see Tom Waits do Ol' 55.

Glenn's son could make a contribution, probably not, Get Over It, though.

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by travlnman2 View Post
    I would like to see something similar like the concert for George. It had A bunch of diffrent guys like Clapton Jeff Lynye etc Dhani Harrison and Paul and Ringo. So maybe you something like that with people like

Bob Segear
    Jackson
    JD Souther
    Glenn's son Deacon
    The rest of the band (Including Felder but it's far fetched)
    and a group of backing musicians.
    I agree! We need a concert for Glenn as a tribute!

Stuck on the Border

I agree about Max Carl, but it would be great to see all of "Jack Mack and the Heart Attack". Also Hawk Wolinski. A reminder that Glenn worked with some great artists outside of the Eagles.

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    Although he's not a household name, I think Max Carl should be on the bill. One More River is a great song, co written with Glenn. I don't think he'd fancy doing Somebody Somewhere. Lou Ann Barton too. Not forgetting Bob Seger. Elton John, Randy Newman, Dixie Chicks, Michael Buble I'd love to see Tom Waits do Ol' 55.

Glenn's son could make a contribution, probably not, Get Over It, though.
    I don't know the song One More River. It's not on spotify nor youtube that I could find. I heard 30 seconds of it. Sounds good.

I've done some googling and I can't find music created by Deacon Frey. He's appeared on stage, so could easily play the Dhani Harrison role in a tribute.

If Tom Waits sang his own song at the tribute, would that still be a tribute. Since Ol '55 is a Waits song. I can see the song working as a mass song without Waits, or maybe Waits on piano.

Tom Waits has such a distinctive voice, it would require some thinking of what he would sing. If he sang "A Walk in the Dark" it would be very different.