Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Final tribute for Glenn. Will there be one and if so, how should it be done?

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Final tribute for Glenn. Will there be one and if so, how should it be done?

Tom Waits didn't like the Eagles version of his song, and yes, because he wrote it, it wouldn't be a tribute.

I don't agree that people like Jack Mack & Hawk Wolinski should be in a tribute show. Only Glenn's absolutely hardcore fans even know who they are. As for Lou Ann Barton Glenn produced her album & then she vanished. I also don't agree that just because you may have covered an Eagles song as Buble did with Heartache Tonight, that justifies an appearance at a tribute show. Randy Newman not only had Glenn cover a song of his, Glenn sang & played on two of his albums.

There is Joni Mitchell, but her health isn't good. If only someone from Detroit like Alice Cooper would consider it. If Alice can sing Eleanor Rigby he can sing one of Glenn's songs.

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Default Re: Final tribute for Glenn. Will there be one and if so, how should it be done?

Could Randy Newman do an interesting version of Partytown with some boogie-woogie piano to replace one of the guitar parts?

Despite Alice Cooper's rock background, he's got a fairly normal straight ahead voice. I'm sure he'd have no trouble singing all sorts of songs. I lost track of what Alice was doing some time ago, but I'm playing "Ghouls Gone Wild" from a recent Cooper album, and this suggests that Alice could do one of the straight ahead rock-n-roll songs that Glenn does quite often. Better in the USA for Alice? Though, imagine if Brian Wilson could do that with the backing vocalists from his current band to really Beach-Boy it up.

Stevie Wonder was mentioned before, could he go back to the 70s funk era style to do "Living in Darkness"?

(Spot the person who is frantically spotifying to cover up lack of knowledge )
    Last edited by Annoying Twit; 05-22-2016 at 11:32 AM.

I would think it is just too soon for them right now. It's only been 4 months. As someone who lost 2 extremely close people in 2014 I am just getting to the point where I can actually remember without bursting into tears.

I really don't understand the flack Don is getting for going back on tour yet Joe is doing the exact same thing yet everybody is thrilled Joe is touring. Don't get it at all.

On that note I really doubt they do a memorial. One may happen but I don't see Don, Joe or Timothy being part of it.

Quote Originally Posted by jms18222 View Post

I really don't understand the flack Don is getting for going back on tour yet Joe is doing the exact same thing yet everybody is thrilled Joe is touring. Don't get it at all.
    I know, JMS. That's what I said earlier. I was not happy with the flack Don was getting and nobody was down Joe's throat. Heck Joe was the first person to post his dates. I don't remember if he got flack for it. Yet. Joe is getting flack for not say anything about Glenn. Like Joe said in an interview. They had to keep themselves busy and not sit at home grieving. To keep their minds off of losing Glenn. If going on tour helps them grieve, I'm all for it.

I guess time will tell if their will be a tribute concert for Glenn. The way its looking, their probably won't be.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by jms18222 View Post
    I would think it is just too soon for them right now. It's only been 4 months. As someone who lost 2 extremely close people in 2014 I am just getting to the point where I can actually remember without bursting into tears.

On that note I really doubt they do a memorial. One may happen but I don't see Don, Joe or Timothy being part of it.
    Why on earth not? How incredibly sad that would be. Having said that, no, it seems more & more likely that nothing will happen at all.

I can only speak for myself & I expressed disquiet that both Don & Joe chose to resume touring so soon. I would have liked Joe to have said something but then I heard him speak and I understood better where he was coming from.

I wish fans of the surviving Eagles could try & understand what Glenn fans are going through. We are going through a host of conflciting emotions & perhaps we didn't think it was fair that we should just keep them all hidden away.
    Last edited by Freypower; 05-22-2016 at 07:46 PM.

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

I'm not saying this means that a tribute concert with Don, Tim, and Joe will happen. But, thinking logically, Don's statement about the Eagles, that the "Take it Easy" tribute is likely the last time they'll play, doesn't rule out a tribute concert with all members. As the individual Eagles members could play at the concert but not all together at once. Or, only together as part of a massed song at the end, which wouldn't be the Eagles.

People handle grief in different ways. It's up to them personally to decide what they do or don't want to do. It'll be up to Don.

Stuck on the Border

I'm not sure I'd like a tribute where they only covered Glenn's songs. Perhaps something more like Clint Eastwood's direction to Glenn - sing one of the songs you're know for and a song from the Eagles/Frey catalogue.

Banned

I'm sure Irving will organize a tribute concert when he's ready. I can't see any of the Eagles snubbing Glenn by opting not to be involved.

Glenn has plenty enough great songs to provide a cracking evenings entertainment.

Hearing that Don is working on an R'n'B album. It's a chance for Don to perform one of Glenn's favourite R'n'B tunes as a tribute to his partner.

I followed the advice of Cameron Crowe ( http://www.rollingstone.com/music/fe...-king-20160121) and gave Eddie Hinton's Get Off in It. a listen. I've played it many, many times since and I always think fondly of Glenn while enjoying a glorious piece of R'n'B.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRNxepq0DpQ

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    I'm not sure I'd like a tribute where they only covered Glenn's songs. Perhaps something more like Clint Eastwood's direction to Glenn - sing one of the songs you're know for and a song from the Eagles/Frey catalogue.
    I don't see how singing a song the artist is known for is paying tribute to Glenn. Even Randy Newman doing Same Girl would be stretching it, as he wrote the song (as would Tom Waits doing Ol '55, but I categorically rule that out).

Ringo sang Photograph at the Concert for George - because he wrote it with George.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower
    I don't see how singing a song the artist is known for is paying tribute to Glenn. Even Randy Newman doing Same Girl would be stretching it, as he wrote the song (as would Tom Waits doing Ol '55, but I categorically rule that out).

Ringo sang Photograph at the Concert for George - because he wrote it with George.
    Turning up and putting in a good performance of any song is an adequate tribute to Glenn. A tribute show is still predominantly, a show, not a ceremony. The people who except the invitation or volunteer to perform should not have to face a strict vetting procedure.

I think I'm the only person who felt that Let It Be was a highly inappropriate choice of song, for Paul McCartney to perform at the mid eighties, high profile, televised, Live Aid Concert, to raise money and awareness for the starving victims of an African Famine (not forgetting Bob Dylan's, "odd million for the poor american farmers" ) but McCartney's performance was a highlight.