Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Final tribute for Glenn. Will there be one and if so, how should it be done?

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Final tribute for Glenn. Will there be one and if so, how should it be done?

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    Turning up and putting in a good performance of any song is an adequate tribute to Glenn. A tribute show is still predominantly, a show, not a ceremony. The people who except the invitation or volunteer to perform should not have to face a strict vetting procedure.

I think I'm the only person who felt that Let It Be was a highly inappropriate choice of song, for Paul McCartney to perform at the mid eighties, high profile, televised, Live Aid Concert, to raise money and awareness for the starving victims of an African Famine (not forgetting Bob Dylan's, "odd million for the poor american farmers" ) but McCartney's performance was a highlight.
    Surely the songs performed have to have some connection to the artist being honoured. It's true that Monty Python did The Lumberjack Song at Concert For George because he was a massive fan & financed Life Of Brian. At any Glenn Frey tribute it wouldn't be right for Jackson Browne to sing The Pretender, for example. He would have to do either one of Glenn's own songs or a song he knew Glenn loved.
    Last edited by Freypower; 05-24-2016 at 06:31 PM.

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Default Re: Final tribute for Glenn. Will there be one and if so, how should it be done?

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Surely the songs performed have to have some connection to the artist being honoured. It's true that Monty Python did The Lumberjack Song at Concert For George because he was a massive fan & financed Life Of Brian. At any Glenn Frey tribute it wouldn't be right for Jackson Browne to sing The Pretender, for example. He would have to do either one of Glenn's own songs or a song he knew Glenn loved.
    They also did "I'll see you in my dreams" at the Concert for George. This was, IMHO, a nice reference to how George and his friends would get together and play old songs on their ukuleles. Like the Monty Python song, it wasn't written by George but makes sense in context.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I think you have to leave it up to the artist performing, surely they can be trusted to form their own tribute. As long as they don't all sing the same song.

If Tom Waits shows up, Ol' 55 is the obvious song for him to perform, even if he initially didn't appreciate the Eagles version, just as Jersey Girl would be the obvious choice for a Springsteen tribute.

I believe The Pretender is about Fred Tackett. Jackson can sing that at his tribute concert. Jackson singing his own song, Take It Easy was the perfect tribute to Glenn because we know the story of it's gestation. In most cases we haven't got a clue about artist interactions.
    Why am I thinking about Stevie Nicks now?
    Last edited by Funk 50; 05-25-2016 at 06:45 AM.

Border Desperado

I can also imagine Jackson performing a song with historical significance, like "Doctor My Eyes." He can even have a teapot whistling in the background. Lol.

It might just be wishful thinking on my part, but I do think there will be a tribute show...eventually. It'll be up to all the guys and Cindy to say when the time is right.

Stuck on the Border

If it is a public memorial or if it is going to be filmed the audience need to have some idea of how the songs performed relate to the artist. It's all very well for Browne to say about Doctor My Eyes that Glenn heard him writing it. That isn't the point. The point is to honour Glenn & the best way to do that is by performing Glenn's own music. I am amazed this is even an issue. I think it's sad.

I didn't say they couldn't be trusted to decide on which songs they would perform; my point is the songs should be Glenn's, either Eagles or solo.
    Last edited by Freypower; 05-25-2016 at 06:57 PM.

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

I think it's reasonable to sing songs that Glenn is known for singing. E.g. Peaceful Easy Feeling.

Though, for some reason, I feel that Tom Waits singing Ol '55 is a step to far, but can't say why logically.

However, I think that any such tribute should be curated by a true friend of Glenn. As in how Concert for George was curated by Eric Clapton and Jeff Lynne. That's what I think made it as good as it was, better than some tributes that seem to include random current artists etc.

If that happened, I'd be happy that the tribute would follow that person's vision and wouldn't be concerned if the way things worked differed from my expectations.

Border Desperado

I think the idea that some are proposing, and I tend to agree, is that the vetting process should focus on who performs rather than what is performed. As long as the organizer and the performers all have deep ties to Glenn, they will put together a proper tribute.

I'd love to hear songs, even if it is the performer's own material, that have a special relationship to Glenn. I can imagine hearing some new stories about Glenn along the way. For example, Joe might talk about and perform the song he sang at the private event.

Did anyone get a google message about a tribute to Glenn in London this summer???

Yes, I got it. It mentioned celebrity performers, but I couldn't find any info as to who they were.

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

Just did a Google search since I hadn't seen it yet and looks like it's going to be June 17th and sponsored by AXS, which they also have a channel I get on DirecTV that airs concerts (some their own exclusively for the channel and later DVD, and other old ones the get the rights to). I don't see anything about performers yet either but that interesting something is in the works and it's in London.

ETA: Looking at the venue's Twitter it might be another smaller tribute like some cities and festivals are doing this summer in the US.
    Last edited by buffyfan145; 05-26-2016 at 09:06 PM.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."