Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How would you rank Felder's voice?

Default Re: How would you rank Felder's voice?

I like "Visions" but as I listen to him sing live now, not so great. Better than Walsh, so he's not the worst, but Eagles have/had a lot of great singers.
    Last edited by MortSahlFan; 03-19-2016 at 12:24 PM.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I'd put him around a 6. He can sing better than me for sure and I'd rate him at slightly above average. However, I also agree with others that his vocals are better suited for backup and harmonies rather than lead and his voice doesn't have that 'it' factor. It's hard to pinpoint exactly what 'it' is, but perhaps 'it' does have to do with tone and the way he emotes in a song. This is probably also why I prefer Joe's vocals over Felder's. Joe has a unique quality, tone, and expressiveness to his voice that I enjoy.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MortSahlFan View Post
    Better than Walsh, so he's not the worst, but ...
    There are very few Walsh songs that I'd prefer to hear somebody else singing and he sings quite a variety of styles on his solo LPs. More recently though, I've found some of his vocals excruciating. Maybe he's spent too long singing the same dozen or so songs over and over again. Not mentioning his considerable talent as a harmony singer.

In Felder's case, every one of his songs would be improved by having a better vocalist. In my opinion, he can sing in tune but he can't deliver a lyric.

He can hit the notes, but his voice is generic; it lacks character and distinctiveness. I call it the "bar band" voice - someone whose voice is good enough to front a band playing the local bars, but who doesn't stand out. Joe's voice is not the greatest but it DOES have character, which is why I think most people enjoy his vocals regardless of whether or not he hits all the notes.

I'd give Felder a 6.

Re: the backing track - I give Felder a bit of a break for that. He has to play a lot of complex guitar parts and doing that while singing must be incredibly difficult.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

As a vocalist he makes a fantastic guitar player. I find his voice vanilla, nothing to really hate but nothing special either. VOL would have been filler if he had sung lead. As with any team you have to play with your strength. Henley & Frey were the strength vocally.

On my leatherette looking through pictures...

5. Suited best to background vocals. Not so much to lead vocals, though "Visions" is still a great song.
    All carrot, no stick.

"He's just another power junkie, just another silk scarf monkey. You'd know it if you saw his stuff. The man just isn't big enough."--Glenn Frey/Don Henley

"You think you know me, but you haven't got a clue."--John Lennon/Paul McCartney

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    Maybe a 4. I agree that he can carry a tune but he lacks expression. I also don't like the tone of his voice. It would be ok for a bar band and for backing vocals but when performing live, he really should let one of his band sing lead.
    I would agree with this. Even fronting his own band, I don't think he has much presence.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

What he should perhaps have done is emulate Steve Hackett, who never pretended to be a singer (remember Glenn's acid line in HOTE that Felder 'wasn't a singer')? He could just have hired people to do the singing while he played guitar. Steve Hackett's Genesis Revisited show worked really well in this regard. However, Steve has an extensive catalogue of his own. Felder does not.

i'd give him a solid 6

Out on the Border Lifeofillusion's Avatar

Felder's voice is a whole lot better than mine.

I'd rate his voice a 5. If I'm buying a ticket to see him perform, it's because of his guitar skills not his voice.