Page 16 of 39 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: "Cass County" Survivor Game

Default Re: "Cass County" Survivor Game

I'll vote for Too Far Gone once more this round for the reasons I mentioned in the last

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Well - I'll try to rally some more support to save Too Far Gone. This isn't my favorite on the album, but I do like it and would like to see it stay around a while longer. So for those who haven't voted already, c'mon and jump on the bandwagon to save it by joining with me ...

I cast my vote for A Younger Man.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Border Rebel

Well, I love both Too Far Gone and A Younger Man. As I said before, I love Don's voice in Too Far Gone - so sexy! I love the way Don sings the line, "I'm an old devil from the past," in A Younger Man. It always makes me smile! I'll take the old devil any day.

The Brand New Tennessee Waltz is nothing special, but it's a pretty little tune, so I will join DD in voting for Waiting Tables.

Musically, it's not bad, and I like the lyrics in the first verse, but after that, not so much. It's all so unimaginative and trite. A waitress who counts her tips? Who marries as soon as she's out of school and is a single mom at 23? Really? And then one rainy night, a handsome man comes in. Really, Don? Handsome? For such a great lyricist, surely he can think of a more interesting adjective than handsome. But in the morning, he was gone (sung very dramatically). In fact, a lot of the song is over-sung. I can see why it's an Eagles reject.

Okay, sorry about that rant. I got a little carried away, but I feel strongly about this song. It could be so good, but it feels like it's phoned in and full of the hackneyed instead. So that's why it gets my vote!

One last vote for Too Far Gone for me, and then it's time to re-evaluate....

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Quote Originally Posted by maryc2130 View Post
    The Brand New Tennessee Waltz is nothing special, but it's a pretty little tune, so I will join DD in voting for Waiting Tables.

Musically, it's not bad, and I like the lyrics in the first verse, but after that, not so much. It's all so unimaginative and trite. A waitress who counts her tips? Who marries as soon as she's out of school and is a single mom at 23? Really? And then one rainy night, a handsome man comes in. Really, Don? Handsome? For such a great lyricist, surely he can think of a more interesting adjective than handsome. But in the morning, he was gone (sung very dramatically). In fact, a lot of the song is over-sung. I can see why it's an Eagles reject.

Okay, sorry about that rant. I got a little carried away, but I feel strongly about this song. It could be so good, but it feels like it's phoned in and full of the hackneyed instead. So that's why it gets my vote!
    I like Waiting Tables better than you do, but I can see your points about the song. I agree about the 'rainy night' verse, and about the use of the word handsome, which is not terrible but if I contrast this with the boy waiting in Lyin' Eyes 'with fiery eyes and dreams no one can steal', this description is much more vague and doesn't really give a clear picture of what this man is like. It doesn't really make it clear whether he's young or old, well off or in a similar financial situation to hers. I also agree that he does sing the final line of that verse too dramatically, and it seems jarring as I like the way he sings the choruses. I do like the song overall, although it wouldn't be in my personal top five. I am intrigued by the writing credits - Henley/Lynch/Smith is not a unique writing combination on Cass County, and on LROOE Do Something is credited to Henley, Schmit and Smith, so it would be interesting to know exactly how it came together, as Stan Lynch didn't co-write anything on Eden.

I agree about The Brand New Tennessee Waltz, it isn't a standout track but it is a likeable, unpretentious country song that adds a bit of lightness to the album. I don't mind if it goes soon, as I certainly don't think it is as good as most of the remaining songs. I personally feel it is more successful at doing this than She Sang Hymns, although I accept others will disagree.

As I want to save A Younger Man, I will join the coalition and this time around my vote goes to Too Far Gone.

I've just noticed that no one has voted for either of the Target special edition bonus tracks yet. I must admit this has slightly surprised me, although I personally think there were 2-3 tracks that were definitely weaker than either of them so I wouldn't have voted for either song in the early rounds even without tactical voting.

Border Desperado

I vote for A Younger Man.

Funny you should mention the Target bonus tracks. When I first listened to CC, I really didn't like Here Come Those Tears Again. I grew up listening to and loving Jackson Browne's version so that's the gold standard for me. There was something about the rhythm of Don's version that I didn't like. In fact if I played this game after that first listen, I probably would have voted for the song by now. After listening to it several more times, it has grown on me.

I love Too far gone and A younger man but in order to save A younger man, I'm voting for Too Far Gone
    "The more I know, the less I understand...."

Don't crack up, bend your brain, see both sides, throw off your mental chains"

I like both songs, but I want to save one of them. I'm voting for Too Far Gone to save A Younger Man.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Well, I only have the deluxe cd and I haven't listened to the two extra songs yet! (Don't hit me please!) Where can I find them online or is there a place?
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    Well, I only have the deluxe cd and I haven't listened to the two extra songs yet! (Don't hit me please!) Where can I find them online or is there a place?
    Brooke - how could you !!

Here come those tears again

It don't matter to the sun
    "The more I know, the less I understand...."

Don't crack up, bend your brain, see both sides, throw off your mental chains"