Page 37 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839 LastLast

Thread: "Cass County" Survivor Game

Border Rebel

Default Re: "Cass County" Survivor Game

I very much like No, Thank you. It's got a great, catchy tune, the harmony is excellent, and the lyrics are pure Don Henley. It's a great song, but I have to vote for A Train in the Distance for the win. As I said before, it's so evocative. I like the way it brings images into my head. I also like how it talks about the bittersweetness of aging, and always yearning for something in our lives, whether we're young or old. When we're young, we want to go away and have exciting adventures. When we're older, we yearn for those innocent days and often want to return to our roots. Just a lovely song, IMHO.

Train in the Distance for the win!
    I like No, Thank You, it's such a Don song, but hearing Train in the Distance live, kind of made it a favorite for me.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

I'm going for No Thank You for the win - I was sorry to see 'That Old Flame' go but happy that it made 3rd place!!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Well, I'm sorry to see That Old Flame go as I had it as being the winner. I just love it and I think Martina does a great job with Don. I was worried she might oversing Don as her voice is so powerful, but I don't feel that she did.

Now, I was voting for No, Thank You to try to even up the score for the final, but it doesn't like that will help any and it will win. I really love it and also Train. I think Train is really beautiful and thought provoking. No,TY is a typical Don rant. Different songs, but both are great. Eenie, meenie......

I'm going to listen to both again before I decide.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

No, Thank You to win

Looks like this is gonna be a close one....

Border Desperado

I'm voting for Train in the Distance for the win!

Well, I'm sad that That Old Flame didn't make the final two - it deserved to win in my book

I'm going to vote for Train In The Distance - simply because I prefer it more than No, thank you - any song that puts 'Achy Breaky Heart' into my head is not good !!
    "The more I know, the less I understand...."

Don't crack up, bend your brain, see both sides, throw off your mental chains"

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

This is an interesting final - I feel both songs are worthy candidates and are high up my personal list.

No, Thank You is among my top five songs on the album. I think it is another example of Don's great social commentary pieces. I really like the harmonica in the intro, and the Take It Easy reference (the lyric by itself is clever, but even more so with the Bernie-esque guitar lick). It has energy yet I'd say it still definitely has a country sound, more so than That Old Flame or even Take A Picture of This.

However, I am delighted to say that the song which I consider to be my absolute favourite and the highlight of the album is still standing. I was relieved to see it get past That Old Flame. I totally agree with maryc's description of this song, and I agree that it is very evocative. I would personally vote for it over any of the other songs in the game, as good as many of them are.

I am therefore extremely happy to vote for Train In The Distance for the win.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

At this point, TITD has a slight lead and I'd better vote before I head home.

After careful consideration I'm voting for

No, Thank You

if for no other reason than the TIE reference! I love them both but prefer the more upbeat song. Don rant at his best!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten