Page 18 of 39 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: "Cass County" Survivor Game

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: "Cass County" Survivor Game

A Younger Man again for me.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

The Cost of Living is one of my favorites. I like Waiting Tables, so even though I like it more than some of the remaining songs, I vote for A Younger Man.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Just read and posted that Merle Haggard has died on his birthday! How awful!

And Cost of Living is one of my favorites too.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

I'm not going to vote just yet, as I'm not completely decided, but I just thought I'd get my thoughts about a few the songs that have received votes this round.

The Cost of Living is one of my big favourites and I am delighted to see that others share my love of it. I think it's a great song, I love the intro, the chorus and the lyrics. Merle Haggard is my single favourite guest on the album - his vocals go together great with Don's and they both sound great for their ages. I think Don should be very proud to get Merle to sing on his country album, having a true legend of the genre on there really gives it a lot of authenticity. I definitely want to save it, and I still think it's too early for A Younger Man to go.

I would be okay if Waiting Tables went this round, although I do still quite it - looking at the positives. Although I think the verses aren't consistent in quality, I like the choruses throughout the song and think these are well done.

Of the songs that have received votes in the game so far, not just in this round, my next choice to go would probably be The Brand New Tennessee Waltz. It's fun but feels lightweight to me compared to the other songs I've mentioned, especially the first two. However, given that no one has voted for it so far, right now I feel I am probably going to be better off voting tactically.

Having mentioned the two bonus tracks, I should probably say that my opinions on them differ greatly. I'll start with the bad news... (*checks to see whether Soda is online and braces himself for tambourine attacks*)... I'm sorry to say I don't like It Don't Matter To The Sun that much. Yes, I know. I'll get in first . It's not all bad, I think Don sings it well, but I think Stevie's vocal is a bit disappointing (I think I deserve an extra one for that ). Her voice sounds different from usual and I prefer her 'normal' vocals. The main problem though is that - I have to be frank here - I find it dull and lifeless musically (it feels like the sort of ballad that Adele or latter day Coldplay would make, musically 'flat') and the keyboard just bores me. I much prefer the country sound of just about everything else from the album. It's probably my third least favourite song after When I Stop Dreaming and Hymns. I don't mean to offend anyone who does like it, it just doesn't do it for me.

Now for the good news - I absolutely love Here Comes Those Tears Again! I had actually never heard this song (not even Jackson's version, let alone Don's) until a few days ago, but it's quickly become one of my most loved songs from this era and I've played it on repeat. I've listened to Jackson's original a few times as well, which is also very good. I'm normally an 'original is best' kind of guy, but if you asked me whether I thought Don's version was the better of the two... I'd say yes. I love the arrangement of this version, his vocal is great and I'm stunned at how right these words seem coming from him given that they were extremely personal to Jackson. I must admit the only thing I don't love about the original is the female backing vocals which I find a bit jarring, but Don's take doesn't include these and I actually prefer it that way. Jackson of course deserves plenty of credit too for writing such a great song. I am well impressed indeed!

My vote is Waiting Tables.

So sorry to hear of Merle's passing.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

JCL, you're not the only Mac/Stevie fan who doesn't care much for the song. It's probably my fourth least favorite, behind Words,Dreaming, and Tennessee Waltz. I agree with not enjoying her voice, and to me, it seems like Stevie was an afterthought. She doesn't add anything to an ok song.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

I love A Younger Man and don't want to see it go yet so I'm voting for Waiting Tables. I like the song but it does drag on a bit towards the end and it feels to me that Don didn't give it his full attention as I don't think its up to his exacting standards

So sad to hear of Merle Haggard dying. I don't really know much of his music but The Cost Of Living is one of the best songs on the album. Don's and Merles voices just blend so well together.

JCL - I agree with you on Tears - Its one of my top 3 songs and its usually on repeat. I like Jacksons version but Don's is more upbeat and it sounds as if it was written just for him.
    I also like Sun but not really the keyboard bit (don't really like the piano in the live version either). I think an acoustic guitar would have been better
    But I like Stevie on it - she doesn't sound like her normal self but still sounds ok.....and just for the sake of it -
    "The more I know, the less I understand...."

Don't crack up, bend your brain, see both sides, throw off your mental chains"

Stuck on the Border

I obviously didn't know Merle Haggard had died when I voted for The Cost Of Living, and I'm obviously alone in not liking the song that much, and will leave it there.

I vote for It Don't Matter to the Sun. Though I don't have the Target Exclusive version of Cass County (since Target Canada stores ceased operation last year), I have listen to the song a few times with the link provided and to be honest find it boring and uninspired. JMO of course

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

I'll vote off 'A Younger Man' again this round
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP