Page 8 of 39 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: "Cass County" Survivor Game

Border Rebel

Default Re: "Cass County" Survivor Game

Oh, dear, I like both Prayin' for Rain and Bramble Rose. PFR a bit more, I think. It does go on a little too long, but I really like it overall. I love the line, "It isn't knowledge, it's humility we lack." So Don!

It took me a few listens to get to like Bramble Rose, but I'm not a big country fan to begin with, so it took a bit to acclimate my ears to it, I think. Mick's voice is a bit jarring, but I like it and the harmonica as well.

I'm possibly cancelling my vote out but I'm voting for Words Can Break Your Heart. I find the lyrics trite and Don is a little over-dramatic in his delivery. (Two things unusual for Mr. Henley, I might add.)

I'm still going with Too Far Gone.

I'll vote for Praying for Rain, because the ending does drag on a bit. Also, considering the deluge recently suffered by the community of Caddo Lake, I feel it's almost sacrilegious to listen to it now.
    "You thought you would be satisfied, but you never will learn to be still."

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

This is me currently:

I love both Bramble Rose and Praying For Rain and am sorry to see that it seems like a straight fight between those two. I love the contributions of all three vocalists on Bramble Rose, including Mick Jagger (I also like his harmonica) and I think Praying For Rain is wonderful. I absolutely love the chorus, the lyrics are brilliant in conveying a sense of desperation and I even like his Bob Dylan impression on the 'some pray for...' verse! It reminds me slightly of Fleetwood Mac's Crystal in its feel, although I'm not quite sure. If anything I slightly prefer Praying For Rain, which seems more likely to get eliminated, but I'd rather not see either go just yet.

So I have to turn to the only other song that has received more than one vote - Words Can Break Your Heart. I quite like it, but not as much as the two at most risk. I enjoy the music, but I agree that most of the lyrics are a bit trite compared to some of the other songs on the album, particularly on the chorus. Having said this, I do think the 'cutting words from careless lips' verse is better than the others. Nonetheless, I vote for Words Can Break Your Heart and I therefore propose this coalition:

SAVE BRAMBLE ROSE AND PRAYING FOR RAIN! VOTE FOR WORDS CAN BREAK YOUR HEART!

(I am aware this is likely to prove futile but I might as well try and save both those songs!)

Border Rebel

LOL, Jonny! Great picture and exactly how I feel!

I'll second you on:

SAVE BRAMBLE ROSE AND PRAYING FOR RAIN! VOTE FOR WORDS CAN BREAK YOUR HEART!

I've already voted but I propose this coalition:

Save Bramble Rose and Words Can Break Your Heart and vote for Praying For Rain
    "The more I know, the less I understand...."

Don't crack up, bend your brain, see both sides, throw off your mental chains"

Border Troubadour

I'm joining in that coalition, Lacken. Save Bramble Rose but vote for Praying for Rain (not mad about Words can break your heart either)

It doesn't help that we have just got over our worst winter in years of flooding so I just cannot relate to this song in any way... I just do not like it.
    ...Well it sure makes you wonder the things that some people will say. They can see black and white but they don't seem to notice the grey...

I enjoy all three of the songs in question ALOT but I think something sodascouts said a few rounds ago is the deal breaker for me.. Mick Jagger on Bramble Road just sounds a tad bit out of place and IMO can be annoying if listened to repeatedly.

Therefore as much as I love it I'll vote for Bramble Road this round

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I'm glad Too Much Pride is gone! If Don had sung it normally, I would have liked it. Does no one else have feelings about the vibrato he does in it? Just wondering.

I will join Soda and vote for Bramble Rose now. I think it would have been better with just Don, too. The others are good, but Don would have been better alone!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    I'm glad Too Much Pride is gone! If Don had sung it normally, I would have liked it. Does no one else have feelings about the vibrato he does in it? Just wondering.
    I'm glad its gone as well but I don't think I've even listened that far into the song to hear that vibrato bit ..... maybe some day I'll actually listen to it but only after a few beers
    "The more I know, the less I understand...."

Don't crack up, bend your brain, see both sides, throw off your mental chains"