Thread: after the LB meltdown when did

Out on the Border

Default after the LB meltdown when did

they announce they were basically done? If I remember right, Zeppelin waited about two months after JB's death to announce they were finished.

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: after the LB meltdown when did

It wasn't officially announced until 1982 when Frey & Henley released solo albums.

Border Desperado

I still remember when the announcement appeared in the Los Angeles Times. I was devastated.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

I wonder why they waited so long. Maybe they were not completely sure, or not everybody was.

As a Police fan back in the day, I remember thinking it was a bit shabby of the band to not tell fans for several years what their status was. I was young and naive

Banned

One of Felder's, now neglected, anecdotes was that he thought the band broke up the day he was recruited. Bernie told him not to worry, the band broke up every day, that is how the band normally functioned.

I suppose that, even after "The Wrong Night At Long Beach" they couldn't quite except that it was really over. Maybe if they had further shows scheduled to perform, after the notorious meltdown, they might not have split at all.

In retrospect, I think the 80s absence was a good thing, HFO was too as they performed a lot of new music, since the turn of the millennium, imho, the Eagles became a comparative irrelevance.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

F50 - I think you make some excellent points in your first two paragraphs. I have often wondered the same thing about them breaking up if there had been other committments at the time. Glenn often said they may not have broken up if they had just realized it was okay to take a break. In retrospect, the time apart probably gave them some perspective and maturity that was helpful when they did resume.

However, I respectfully disagree with your opinion about the Eagles being irrelevant after the millennium. The band recorded Long Road Out of Eden that went more than 7x platinum and were nominated for 6 grammys during the first decade (won 2). They also released 2 very successful award-winning DVDs. In addition, they played 4 worldwide tours to hundreds of millions of fans and were consistantly among the highest earning musical acts. There are only a few bands from their era that were anywhere close to that kind of success during the last fifteen years. Additionally, there are several internet fansites and Facebook pages for the band that remain active. You just posted on one of them even though the band is now dormant. Sorry, but that's not my idea of irrelevant - just sayin'.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by FWIW View Post
    I still remember when the announcement appeared in the Los Angeles Times. I was devastated.
    Me too, FWIW. One of my favorite parts of that L.A. Times article has always been this observation by the writer ...

Henley, though thrilled with his new album, doesn't appear to want to be as active musically as Frey.

"I'm -starting to think about a lot of other things," he said. "Every spring I wanted to plant a garden. I have a tractor and a farm and I grew up doing that. But every spring I'm in the studio. I also want to spend more time with my lady. As soon as she gets well, I'd like to have kids. There's simply a lot more to life than rock 'n' roll and making records."
    I always thought it was interesting because this ended up being quite the opposite. As it turned out, Glenn went on to pursue a lot more interests outside of music rather than Don.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016