Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your Favorite MOMENTS In Songs??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Your Favorite MOMENTS In Songs??

It could be a solo, a line being sung, a riff, etc etc..

Guitar solo and the vocals on "Time" by Pink Floyd.

I love the riff on "Band on the Run" during "If we ever get out of here", but especially before, the same Am-D guitar riff (I don't like the last 4 minutes of the song though!)

The piano riff in "Crime of the Century" after the break (Am-F)

The end of Stairway to Heaven, solo and after.

The tenderness of Glenn's voice in the opening verse of TNKIT - including his solo on ICTYW...

The opening piano riff on "Nineteen-Hundred and Eighty-Five"

The guitar riff from "Shine On You Crazy Diamond"

The couplet during "A Day In The Life" when you can't even hear the "F" sound in the couplet.. The tenderness, but also the vibrato, trill.

"... had to laugh"
    "... photograph"

I'll come back to this as I'm busy, but I didn't wanna forget, and I can't wait to read your responses

Default Re: Your Favorite MOMENTS In Songs??

the end of "Under Pressure" with Bowie singing.. Beautiful!

all of Hotel California - a very long moment
    my favorite line is "Some dance to remember, some dance to forget" - because of the meaning. "You can check out any time you like, but you can NEVER l-e-a-ve" - again the rhythm, and the excitement for what's to come. Besides the guitar solo, I love Randy's pounding bass.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Thanks for creating this thread - I know I will have a lot of fun with this! I'll start by selecting 14 songs I love (ten by bands, four by solo artists, as I generally listen to bands more) and writing about them, I have loads more I can suggest but I don't want to take forever! I am not a musician so I can't really talk about chord sequences or key changes, I can only describe what my ears hear and how I respond to it.

Bands:
    Speed King (Deep Purple) - The call-answer section mid-song between Jon Lord's organ and Ritchie Blackmore's guitar, terrific musicianship.
    Sultans of Swing (Dire Straits) - The final guitar solo. I've heard it hundreds of times, yet it still amazes me.
    Take The Devil (Eagles) - Thought I'd go for a more unusual one that I absolutely love. Specifically, Randy's evocative vocal as he sings the title for the final time, followed by Glenn's powerful yet atmospheric guitar solo.
    The Chain (Fleetwood Mac) - The bass riff that starts about three minutes into the song leading to Lindsey's explosive guitar outro.
    I Know What I Like (Genesis) - The spoken word intro ('It's one o'clock and time for lunch, dum dee dum dee dum'), always makes me laugh.
    Immigrant Song (Led Zeppelin) - The thunderous intro accompanied by Robert Plant's epic scream (aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahh, ah!).
    That Smell (Lynyrd Skynyrd) - All of the choruses - it's the combination of the foreboding and spooky lyrics with the great guitar work.
    Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Part II) (Pink Floyd) - Specifically part II, and because of that riff! First time I ever heard it really struck me, and it still has the same impact on me.
    Nightswimming (R.E.M.) - Basically any of the parts where it's just the piano and the strings (arranged by John Paul Jones, I believe). Absolutely gorgeous and wonderfully nostalgic. I think it means more to me as I was born in August ('September's coming soon'...)
    The Spirit of Radio (Rush) - The final verse. It's a funny parody of 'The Sound of Silence' and I love how Geddy sings those words 'And it echoes, with the sound... of salesmen, of salesmen, of... salesmen'!
    Throw Down The Sword (Wishbone Ash) - The dual guitar solos at the end., one of the most powerful pieces of guitar music I've heard and the perfect follow up to the battle-weary lyrics.

Solo artists:
    Stuck Inside of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again (Bob Dylan) - The 'like a fool I mixed them, and it scrambled up my mind' verse cracks me up, and it's one of those lyrics that was absolutely perfect for Bob's voice.
    Train In The Distance (Don Henley) - I love the final chorus, I find this really moving with the locomotive sounds as well as Don and the backing vocals.
    5.15AM (Mark Knopfler) - The verse that immediately follows the guitar solo: 'Seams blew up or cracked, Black diamonds came hard won, Generations toiled and hacked, for a pittance and black lungs'. Very poignant and poetic lyrics.
    Pardon My Heart (Neil Young) - Another 'less obvious' choice but I think the guitar solo on this one is absolutely great, It conveys the sense of heartbreak of the lyrics.
    Last edited by Jonny Come Lately; 04-17-2016 at 06:06 PM.

Border Desperado SilverAcidRayne's Avatar

i too have a decent sized list of songs for this. BUT my most favorite is The End off Abbey Road. Ringo and that badass drum solo along with the others ripping their guitars to shreds. it like symbolizes so much in one moment.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by SilverAcidRayne View Post
    i too have a decent sized list of songs for this. BUT my most favorite is The End off Abbey Road. Ringo and that badass drum solo along with the others ripping their guitars to shreds. it like symbolizes so much in one moment.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.
    Yes.

I have never thought about this in that much detail, but I wil list two to begin with. My all time favourite musical moment is the National guitar melody which begins Romeo & Juliet by Dire Straits. The second is the opening of Stairway To Heaven. The third is probably the huge orchestral chords in A Day In The Life after Paul's middle eight & the 'ah, ah ah ah' part before the last 'I read the news today, oh boy'.

It's no coincidence that those are my three favourite songs.

One more is the drums which kick off Like A Rolling Stone, and also that extraodinary organ by Al Kooper.

More later.

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

I know this will be hard for me too because I have moments like this with almost every song I like. LOL So it's a very long list and a lot I've already seen mentioned. I will say sometimes various guitar solos and instrumentals are very influential to me as a writer. Some scenes I'll imagine to these easily.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

As a non-musician, you described it very well, and even a musician should go on to explain for those who aren't.

I was going to reply to myself a second time with the quadruplets of "Sultans of Swing" but thought that would be too selfish? You probably know what I'm talking about, but for others, QUADruplets would be the 4-notes that are repeated over and over, and then in a different key, and back...

With the end of Hotel California (Joe's idea), it's a triplet (3 notes) which I think is a very fitting end.

Wow, I know Rush and Simon & Garfunkel, and without your reply, I wouldn't have noticed! Very fitting to the consumer mentality that seemed to have gone up exponentially during the early 80s (1980 exactly)..

Some other great moments would be on "Young Lust" (Pink Floyd) right before the solo, you can hear David Gilmour give a mean-sounding "hah"; I also love during "Gimme Shelter" when the female singing cracks her voice in a good way when she screams "Rape.. M[sic]" you can hear Mick go "wooh" - I like capturing true moments, even mistakes musically.

Me and a friend have a long dispute.. During the solo on "Riders On The Storm" he thinks Ray makes a mistake hitting 2 notes at the same time, I think it was done intentionally... He also thinks it's John who says "I got blisters on me fingers" - it's clearly Ringo (plus he's the drummer, duh).

Can't wait to hear more.. Be back later!

On my leatherette looking through pictures...

The first lead guitar notes on "Shine on You Crazy Diamond' all the way through to where the beat slows down again(I don't know how to mentally separate that song into parts like some do).

The final 4 minutes of Yes' "Starship Trooper," where it's all instrumental.

That end solo(where it's just guitar) in the final 20 seconds of Neil Young's "Cinnamon Girl."

Not something I think of often. Will probably add more later.
    All carrot, no stick.

"He's just another power junkie, just another silk scarf monkey. You'd know it if you saw his stuff. The man just isn't big enough."--Glenn Frey/Don Henley

"You think you know me, but you haven't got a clue."--John Lennon/Paul McCartney

Border Desperado SilverAcidRayne's Avatar

How I discovered a Bowie song and fell in love with it after he left us? listened to his Young Americans album, and he has a song on there called John, I'm Only Dancing (Again). I immediately fell in love with the bass line. I mean it's funky and soooo catchy. and the vocals everything about that song is pure brilliance. I miss him dearly

If it helps, if you give the specific time (and a link if possible) we'll know what you mean exactly, and someone can give it the proper term, so that some of us can learn forever!

Speaking of "Shine On You Crazy Diamond", I forgot to mention that for many years I only heard the single version (Echoes: Best of Pink Floyd).. I was over an ex and music soulmate's place, and I went to play the song. In the single version, I was expecting the vocals to come in "Remember when you were young" but instead, you get another solo! And not just another solo, but the best one, and it was cut out! I even love the open string plucked and stopped suddenly. To be specific, at the 8:32 mark you can hear two guitars harmonizing...! The same term and idea right after the guitar solo on OOTN, Felder harmonizes a brief phrase with two guitars.

I also think it's real cool that at the end of the song (and album) you can hear Rick Wright play a little tribute to SYD (Shine, You Diamond) with the notes playing the vocal line of "Emily tries, but misunderstands".