Thread: Five Songs That Have Made an Impact on Your Life

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Five Songs That Have Made an Impact on Your Life

Since some seem to be struggling with the Greatest Songs of All Time thread (including me), I thought I'd throw another option out there. I'd like to see it narrowed down to five songs, because for me, when the lists get longer than that they just seem diluted and I tend to gloss over them.

So, have a go at it. I'm going to think about it before I post mine.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Five Songs That Have Made an Impact on Your Life

I can't restrict it to five.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I can't restrict it to five.
    Yes you can.
    ~ Cathy ~

Yes, it's hard to limit it to five, but really think about it and narrow it down. It makes those five songs all the more special.

Here's mine:

She Loves You - The Beatles, 1964
    I was 6 years old, but I knew this was something like I had never heard before! In the next few years I would be amazed at the musical experimentation this band would put out.

Peace Train - Cat Stevens, 1971
    It would take years to discover how much I enjoyed some of Cat Stevens work, but the message in this song was not lost on me, even at the young age of 13.

Take It Easy - Eagles, 1972
    I easily fell into the Southern California rock sound of the early 70's, and when I heard this song on the radio at 14 years old, it was love at first listen.

Monday Morning - Fleetwood Mac, 1975
    I remember listening to the Fleetwood Mac album when I was 17 and hearing the abrupt beginning of the first track on side one and thinking, "This is my kind of music." The entire album was superb, as was Rumours.

Magic Man - Heart, 1976
    I was 18 years old, walked into my friend's bedroom and saw the Dreamboat Annie album lying on the floor next to a turntable. When I heard the first track I knew that I was hearing something great. It expanded my musical tastes even further.

ETA: Oops, I forgot I was going to include

Rocky Mountain High, John Denver, 1972
    This song had a huge impact on me when it came out because of its strong ties to nature. I think I would have to exclude Heart to limit it to five.
    ~ Cathy ~

Border Desperado

Great idea for a thread, PM. My list of songs is a bit eclectic. I'm not a musician by any stretch, but music has been a big part of my life.

1. Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah from Disney's Song of the South
    This song is meaningful not because of the movie, but because my father sang it to me when I was a kid. It always put a smile on his face which put a smile on my face, too.

2. Do-Re-Mi from The Sound of Music
    My first trip to a drive-in theater was to see The Sound of Music. Of course I promptly fell asleep, but my father knew he needed to wake me up for Do-Re-Mi. At the time, it was my favorite song from the movie and my entire family sang along. This movie and The Wizard of Oz kick-started my love of musical films.

3. The Rain in Spain from My Fair Lady
    The first musical theater production I saw was My Fair Lady with Rex Harrison. Unfortunately Julie Andrews did not play Eliza Doolittle. I absolutely love this show in particular and musical theater in general.

4. Take It To the Limit by the Eagles
    Yes, there is an Eagles song in my list. This is the first Eagles song I vividly remember playing on the radio. I swear I heard this song every day for quite a while. I credit that repetition for solidifying my love of the Eagles.

5. Star Wars Main Theme by John Williams
    I was blown away when I first saw Star Wars, now called Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope. The special effects were amazing and the film's score was so powerful. I realized that a great song doesn't necessarily need lyrics.

Stuck on the Border

Well this is interesting. My Fair Lady is my favourite musical film apart from Singin' In The Rain & the songs are part of my DNA. I also grew up with both Mary Poppins & The Sound Of Music. But I wouldn't put any of those songs into a list of five songs which made an impact on me. I also could not seriously include the Beatles because I was too young at the time they were recording.

I had to be ruthless here:

Galveston - Glen Campbell (1969)

The song I believe started my llifelong obsession with travel & songs about travelling & places.

Children Of The Revolution - T. Rex (1972)

The first rock song I consciously remember thinking how great it was. It may have subsconsciously influenced my political beliefs.

Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen (1975 - but I didn't hear it until 1976)

I don't know what to say about it. If a song changed my life, this is it. How? I don't know.

Hotel California - Eagles (1976)

Introduced me to American culture.

Romeo & Juliet - Dire Straits (1980)

Combined rock music with my ultimate hero, Shakespeare, while also brilliantly referencing the modern adaptation of the play, West Side Story.
    Last edited by Freypower; 04-20-2016 at 06:49 PM.