Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Prince has died

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Default Re: Prince has died

I have a theory about the massive outpouring for Bowie and Prince - the main "drivers" of mainstream media content (writers/editors/owners) are around my age i.e. 40 - 50. Bowie and Prince are '80s acts. Their active periods/hits were from when I was in middle school and high school - I was just a little kid in the '70s and already in college in the '90s. I didn't do things to the Eagles, I did things to Prince - that's this age group that is currently at the helm of media outlets.

Also, both were weird guys, and I think that weirdness and innate creativity and refusal to conform - really blazing their own trails - make people realize they were truly one of a kind. The Eagles' music is often lumped in with/described as similar to bands of the Laurel Canyon scene - J.D., Jackson, Poco, etc...they have a genre. Bowie and Prince have no genre, and nobody similar to them. This is not an effort to say Prince is worth more than the Eagles, that's not what I'm at all saying. Just that he was DIFFERENT, real different!! In a good way!

Also, did you see the gifts Prince's family and close friends handed out to fans outside of the gates? At least hundreds and hundreds of really nice boxes with memorabilia inside - just gave them to all of the fans there. There's one picture that shows them unloading just boxes and boxes from a truck, they bought all of this stuff to give to Prince's fans - how awesome is that?
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-elevator.html

Stuck on the Border

I don't want to get too far off topic here & I don't know if I should even say this. But Bowie & Prince fans had places they could go to remember him - Brixton in London & New York for Bowie, and anywhere in Minneapolis. Where could fans go to honour Glenn? If you happned to be in Winslow, Arizona, you could go to the Corner. You could drop by the Troubadour in LA if you knew the history. In Royal Oak they did unveil the street sign. Where else could fans go in person to remember him? That's why it's so important that we have The Border, I guess.

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

I agree with Mary about the impact. Also both Prince and Bowie had a huge impact on my generation (those of us born in the 80s) and the younger generation of Millennials as well because not only did we grow up with their music, but they both always talked about being ourselves and embracing our weirdness since that makes us ourselves. I remember Prince even guest stared on the show "New Girl" back when I was still watching and he gave such great advice to the main characters. I loved that episode. For someone like me that was bullied as a teenager and didn't feel like I fit it, it was nice seeing them have a message like this and it really helped. Plus, I just loved Prince's music and always made me want to dance. LOL

And that is great they did that for the fans.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I agree with Mary also. My only point is it shouldn't be this way. The media is supposed to be immune from bias regardless of age, gender, race, or whatever. Unfortunately, that is not usually the case anymore. I may be aging myself here, but I can remember a time when mainstream media was fair and objective (and respected and trusted) for the most part - at least, a whole bunch better than they are today.

And I also agree that was a lovely gesture for Prince's fans.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Border Desperado

That is so cool, Princes staff handing out the purple boxes filled with goodies. That is an amazing gift for his fans to treasure.

As an Eagles fan, I can understand the love for David Bowie, in fact, Bowie is just one notch under the Eagles, but Prince????? I never saw anything in him.

Though sales don't mean a thing to me, they usually mean something to the media, etc... The Eagles have 2 of the Top-5 albums of all-time, and he got ZERO attention...

I avoided saying a thing about this to bring unnecessary attention to someone whose music I don't like at all.. Pushing a button on a drum machine isn't playing an instrument, either.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by MortSahlFan View Post
    As an Eagles fan, I can understand the love for David Bowie, in fact, Bowie is just one notch under the Eagles, but Prince????? I never saw anything in him.

Though sales don't mean a thing to me, they usually mean something to the media, etc... The Eagles have 2 of the Top-5 albums of all-time, and he got ZERO attention...

I avoided saying a thing about this to bring unnecessary attention to someone whose music I don't like at all.. Pushing a button on a drum machine isn't playing an instrument, either.
    They have the top selling album of al time. Hotel California is at #19.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/62536...albums-history

Prince was a great guitarist. He didn't just use drum machines.

I will say this about Glenn, however. Musically the last Eagles album was in 2007 & his last solo album was in 2012, and because it wasn't a 'rock' album it was largely ignored. Although there are claims he was wrting new songs for a new solo album, we will probably never hear them. Prince had a much larger body of work & continued to release new music until just before he died. It has already been stated that solo artists receive more attention on their death. Look at the new Rolling Stone special edition. From what I have heard, it's about the Eagles - not Glenn.

I guess it's just taste then, because I'd rather hear Glenn's solo of "I Can't Tell You Why" than anything Prince did. I thought he was more of a show-off, sensationalist,pop star. And when someone says "Great songwriter" I laugh at the lines "Let's go crazy, let's go nuts" - real poetry...

Eagles never used drum machines, either. That's anti-music.

Quote Originally Posted by MortSahlFan View Post
    I guess it's just taste then, because I'd rather hear Glenn's solo of "I Can't Tell You Why" than anything Prince did. I thought he was more of a show-off, sensationalist,pop star. And when someone says "Great songwriter" I laugh at the lines "Let's go crazy, let's go nuts" - real poetry...

Eagles never used drum machines, either. That's anti-music.
    A Bit harsh don't you think? Prince was highly influencial and more than just a sensationalist pop star.

I just listen, and it either moves me or it doesn't.